Are we going to make the playoffs or just being pushed away from a top draft pick?

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Exactly. It's happened since the team has gotten here, and we got Scheifele and Trouba.

Are we going to rock the 9th/10th pick every year? No. Is it a recipe for disaster? Arguable, but no.

Bingo.

"Tanking" is such a goofy term anyway. They're paid to win games, not get draft picks. The difference between a top 5 and top 15 draft pick, while significant, is not one that should have any bearing on a currently .500 hockey team. It's ludicrous to assume that continued success by the Jets is a negative thing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not concerned about draft position. I'm more concerned about mgt becoming reluctant to make trades for the future at the deadline.

I'd like to see our entire third line shipped out before March 3. Maybe a dman or two as well, depending on whether we're getting anything back to fill out the roster.

Bingo

first things first is that we play to make the playoffs no matter how far fetched that seems right now. Let the draft postion fall where it may but this group has to keep the hammer down!

We have 10 games left between now and the trade deadline and if we collect 16 points (8-2 or 7-1-2) or more and are tied for the last playoff spot then I think we may have to go for it again. Short of that we have to unload assets this year at the trade deadline and stick to the longer plan.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Winning>>>>>>>Drafting high

True North is probably in the top 5, maybe top 3, for teams spending on scouting, draft analytics and research. I had heard this from a top TN exec, that believed they will make good on the drafting due to the resources they were putting into it.

It was stated, you can only spend to the cap on players, but you can spend to the nines on resources off the ice, which Thompson and Chipman have.

They have already shown an ability to go off the board and nab talent that most draft experts had going much later such as Scheif and Morrissey. I have faith that wherever we are drafting at, we will make good on it.

Tanking is not in this team's cards, nor should it be. Winning will build more internal talent than a top 5 pick. We have young talent, we need to teach them to be winners, and keep adding good players through the draft. Even without a top 10 pick, chevy has shown he can find diamonds in later rounds.

Great post and welcome to the site

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Would getting a draft pick in the 5-8 range be nice? sure it would. But, what is more important is this team taking steps and improving on the ice. We need to shake this losing mentality and get out of this funk this group has been in for years. To me, this team has indeed underachieved a bit this season, as I never believed they were as bad as we were seeing. I was on the fence with the Maurice hiring not knowing how the team would respond, but I said the day it happened I wouldn't be surprised if Maurice got *this team* playing good hockey. I never believed just because Noel was fired that it meant we had to then trade this core player or that core player. The differences a coaching change can make can be big, and I think many (Lawless especially) miscalculated that factor.

I hope we continue on playing good hockey, even if we end up finishing 9th in the West and just missing out, while also not drafting as high. It is far more important for this group and organization to go on a positive run and re-invent themselves. To me, the remaining games since Maurice was brought in was a clear path runway heading into next season. This is our time and opportunity to get the room feeling good and begin making the players believe they can be a good hockey team. And hopefully that positive momentum can carry on in to next season. The players would then be familiar with Maurice, they would trust him given the results (if we finish on a positive swing here), and there would be no adjustment period or growing pains to begin next season. We can hopefully hit the road (with confidence) and running. On the plus side here, I have seen more smiles on the Jets bench in the last week than I've seen dating back to game one in October 2011.

Really agree here that they need to re-invent the culture of the Jets as they seemed too accustomed to folding up the tent too early in many games. Whether that was Noel losing the group or a general depression unrelated to the coach, going on a 2-3 month period of success and still missing the playoffs is a far more productive approach than getting the 4th or 5th pick overall.

I'm not concerned about draft position. I'm more concerned about mgt becoming reluctant to make trades for the future at the deadline.

I'd like to see our entire third line shipped out before March 3. Maybe a dman or two as well, depending on whether we're getting anything back to fill out the roster.

Also really agree here and posted as much in the trades thread. Would still like to see Seto, Olli, Stuart and Buff moved for varying reasons. I love Buff but think he can bring a good return. Also have really enjoyed Olli's season and would like to see him re-signed in the off-season but moved at the deadline.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I am pretty confident that where ever the Jets pick from they will find a quality player

Scheifele
Trouba
Morrissey

Haven't gone wrong so far in the 1st

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Didn't know the Jets were around top 5 for scouting resources and spending. If that's true, good on them.

I'm less and less concerned about tanking for a high pick the more time that goes by. A top pick franchise calibre guy is a quicker fix, but not the only way. It can guarantee certain successes but if you have competent management you shouldn't need a superstar to compete.

If we had the team we have now but added several middle of the lineup forwards or defenseman we could be a lot

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
We're going to continue winning and finish like the Capitals did late last season. Lock for the playoffs! :yo:

If you want a model team to keep the playoff pipe dream alive, look no further than the 2008-09 Blues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_St._Louis_Blues_season

10 games below real .500 at Game #44. By comparison, Jets were 9 games below real .500 at #47.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/2008-2009/NHL/Western/Central/Blues_ChanceWillMakePlayoffs.html

0.8% chance of making the playoffs at one point. Jets were at 0.55% following the loss to Columbus.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Maybe not as extreme as this but along htese lines.

1. don't really care about draft position. If the team keeps winning games (and winning due to improvement not luck a-la the anaheim game) then I'm fine drafting higher.

2. If we make it high (10-14th) draft position thats fine, because i'd feel confident about the teams fortunes going into next year (unless of course we win a bunch of games in which we are severely outchanced in)

3. And this is the big one- I don't want this success to push our management into making "now" trades. I'd still like us to move guys out at the deadline, because even with a crazy second half, we are very very VERY unlikely to still make the playoffs.

I feel better about this due to Chevy's rhetoric around bringin in PM. He wanted a fresh pair of eyes on the roster for more input on what he should be doing at the Trade deadline.

Esentially: keep winning but don't let that stop you from moving wasted resources.

my nightmare is: We keep wining games due to luck which convinces in management to not make moves (or become "buyers") and we head into the offseason/next season status-quo.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I hope we continue on playing good hockey, even if we end up finishing 9th in the West and just missing out, while also not drafting as high. It is far more important for this group and organization to go on a positive run and re-invent themselves.

I agree...I'd rather pick 13th overall for this year than pick 1st overall, if it meant that we were able to establish a better culture over the next year or two.

Given a few years would you rather:

A) Bring the 13th overall pick player onto a team with a culture of winning, that have already started to turn things around
B) Bring the 1st overall pick onto a team with a culture of losing, hoping he can initiate the turn

Which of A or B is going to produce the better result down the road? Some teams have had success with B, sure. But I just don't like the mentality behind it. If I had a choice I'd prefer a team that can win without relying on a top-3 pick in the roster. And instead win via depth in the line-up, work ethic, and systems.

On the Ducks, Getzlaf and Perry were drafted 19th and 28th overall. Cogliano was 25th pick. Fowler - 12th. Koivu - 21st. Bonino was 174rd (6th round). Maroon was a 6th round pick. But look at what that team is doing...totally killing it.

Compare that to the Jets roster, who have two 4th-overall picks in Kane and Ladd. Bogosian - 3rd overall. Wheeler - 5th overall. Trouba - 6th overall. Scheif - 7th overall.

We can get into the Edmonton roster, but we all know how badly they're doing.

Anyways, enough of top picks. I'd rather have a top culture and mentaility.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
If you want a model team to keep the playoff pipe dream alive, look no further than the 2008-09 Blues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_St._Louis_Blues_season

10 games below real .500 at Game #44. By comparison, Jets were 9 games below real .500 at #47.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/2008-2009/NHL/Western/Central/Blues_ChanceWillMakePlayoffs.html

0.8% chance of making the playoffs at one point. Jets were at 0.55% following the loss to Columbus.

Of course...that's the same team that got swept by Vancouver in the first round, lol

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
I agree...I'd rather pick 13th overall for this year than pick 1st overall, if it meant that we were able to establish a better culture over the next year or two.

Given a few years would you rather:

A) Bring the 13th overall pick player onto a team with a culture of winning, that have already started to turn things around
B) Bring the 1st overall pick onto a team with a culture of losing, hoping he can initiate the turn

Which of A or B is going to produce the better result down the road? Some teams have had success with B, sure. But I just don't like the mentality behind it. If I had a choice I'd prefer a team that can win without relying on a top-3 pick in the roster. And instead win via depth in the line-up, work ethic, and systems.

On the Ducks, Getzlaf and Perry were drafted 19th and 28th overall. Cogliano was 25th pick. Fowler - 12th. Koivu - 21st. Bonino was 174rd (6th round). Maroon was a 6th round pick. But look at what that team is doing...totally killing it.

Compare that to the Jets roster, who have two 4th-overall picks in Kane and Ladd. Bogosian - 3rd overall. Wheeler - 5th overall. Trouba - 6th overall. Scheif - 7th overall.

We can get into the Edmonton roster, but we all know how badly they're doing.

Anyways, enough of top picks. I'd rather have a top culture and mentaility.

Trouba was drafted 9th overall. Points well taken nonetheless. :)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Of course...that's the same team that got swept by Vancouver in the first round, lol

I'd be interested to hear if people would rather:

a) See the Jets fluke their way into the playoffs and get swept in the first round

or

b) Pick top 3

b) is more likely than a), but not by much.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

a) See the Jets fluke their way into the playoffs and get swept in the first round

or

b) Pick top 3

Playoffs baby.
That is every teams goal at the start of the season (except maybe calgary :laugh:) or at least it should be.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011

or

b) Pick top 5

I wasn't really saying it as a bad thing, I'm just saying that the fine line between playoff team and draft pick team is pretty slim.

Of course, it's hard to win the Stanley Cup when you're not in the playoffs...:sarcasm:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I wasn't really saying it as a bad thing, I'm just saying that the fine line between playoff team and draft pick team is pretty slim.

Of course, it's hard to win the Stanley Cup when you're not in the playoffs...:sarcasm:

I was being serious though, what with the obsession many seem to have with "tanking". :laugh:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
How the team plays is out of anyone's control. The best Chevy and the gang can do is trade some UFA vets at the deadline (which I hope he does, infact not trading Seto is pretty much inexcusable) other than that the team is gonna play how its gonna play... there is no point stressing

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I was being serious though, what with the obsession many seem to have with "tanking". :laugh:

i would take B.

No tbecause i want the draf tpick, but because of the fluke thing. If the team legitimately plays well enough that they ahve a decent cahnce of hitting the playoffs again next year, then A of course.

but if they play like **** and just happen to get the bounces for the next 30 games, make the playoffs without fixing any of our issues, and trick us into thinking they're a good hockey team, then no, i'd rather they crash and burn, as all that lucky streak is going to do is cause our organization to make decisions built on a faulty pretense.

Unless they A) fluke into the playoffs and b) management is intimately aware it was a fluke and still knows where the roster stands and acts accordingly. that would be acceptable.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Trouba was drafted 9th overall. Points well taken nonetheless. :)

Woops. Yeah I don't know why I have 6th stuck in my head.

Buy yeah, this Jets team is stacked with top picks. Compare it on paper vs. the Ducks (who I'm not even sure have anyone on the roster who was a top-ten pick outside of 43-YO Teemu Selanne), and an outsider would think this team should be killing it, and Anaheim would be in the bottom of the standings.

Tanking and ending up with another top pick, basically means we'd be looking for another coach again, and/or a new GM, and the loser mentality continues...

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

or

b) Pick top 3

Without a doubt, much rather see a). Putting aside the personal preference, I'd rather this team actually experience what the playoffs are like, what Winnipeg's atmosphere is like, and what kind of skill and determination is required (aka how far they have to go). Even being swept, I think it would be great motivation for next year.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Here's a list of the highest Detroit Red Wings picks in each year over the past 20 years:

1993 - 22nd overall
1994 - 23rd overall
1995 - 26th overall
1996 - 26th overall
1997 - 49th overall
1998 - 25th overall
1999 - 120th overall
2000 - 29th overall
2001 - 62nd overall
2002 - 58th overall
2003 - 64th overall
2004 - 97th overall
2005 - 19th overall
2006 - 41st overall
2007 - 27th overall
2008 - 30th overall
2009 - 32nd overall
2010 - 21st overall
2011 - 35th overall
2012 - 49th overall
2013 - 20th overall

Detroit hasn't picked in the "top 14" in 20 years. The main reasons:

1. a franchise generational talent defenseman named Lidstrom (no pressure Trouba) and a few other superstars along the way; and
2. excellent drafting and developing, regardless of draft position (so far so good)

Thats not to say we couldn't use another great player, but we need to start getting past the annual "should we tank" cycle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad