Are todays players washed up earlier?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We're seeing steep declines with players only in 28, 29 and 30 years of age these days. Is the prime of a player lower then ever and do players get washed up earlier?
That's always been when players decline.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Yes and no.

Training / nutrition much better today in the past, so players can stay healthy into their 30s easier.

Pace of the game much faster than in the past, so even though you "are in the greatest shape of your life" older players can't keep up.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I would say that it's likely because the game is faster than ever and speed is much more important. Also, the young guys coming into the league are better and better, so it's easier for them to bump guys down the depth chart.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Yes

A lot of modern players excel at the technical aspects of the game but not much else. They are great skaters, good speed, active sticks, and the defensive side of the game has been drilled into them since they were in pee wee. The problem? the talent level is minimal, once they lose their speed everything else starts to drop off very quickly. Players have lower creative IQ out there and this is why you see a quicker decline as they don't have the talent to compensate. We have illusions about players being better than past decades but all i see is better equipment and more efficient training methods to maximize someone's skill set but the top end guys aren't as good.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I don't think they are dropping off ability wise. The game has just changed towards speed and if they don't have that they fall behind.

4 or 5 years ago it wasn't as important so just the required skill set has changed.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Guys seem to come into the league earlier and put more wear and tear on themselves.

More emphasis on getting younger guys into the lineup quicker for cap reasons.

More emphasis on getting older guys off the roster for cap reasons.

Younger players are getting bigger, faster, stronger and more talented. Lots of talented hockey players coming through the drafts.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Guys seem to come into the league earlier and put more wear and tear on themselves.

More emphasis on getting younger guys into the lineup quicker for cap reasons.

More emphasis on getting older guys off the roster for cap reasons.

Younger players are getting bigger, faster, stronger and more talented. Lots of talented hockey players coming through the drafts.

The reverse is actually happening when it comes to forwards.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
We're seeing steep declines with players only in 28, 29 and 30 years of age these days. Is the prime of a player lower then ever and do players get washed up earlier?
I think it's the reverse. Today's player trains 12 months a year, is on strict diets and partakes in the most up to date scientific methods to stay fit. The partying, drinking and drug lifestyle so prevalent in decades past has been significantly reduced. You simply can't last in today's NHL living like that. It seems that all the best players are training in groups every summer.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
No, it's totally normal.

I read years ago that the average physical peak for an athlete is 27 years of age. See how many players in the NHL had their best seasons before 27 or 28... that sums up pretty much all of the biggest stars of the past 100 years.

Reactions: DaveG

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Nothing has changed the average NHL age has been 27-28 for years. The average age for goal scoring peak is 22, average point scoring peak is 25.

You just happened to notice half a dozen players were washed up as they approached 30 and constructed a straw man out of it.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Nothing has changed the average NHL age has been 27-28 for years. The average age for goal scoring peak is 22, average point scoring peak is 25.

You just happened to notice half a dozen players were washed up as they approached 30 and constructed a straw man out of it.
Or it could be the fact that many of the stars of years past were still getting to top 20 or top 10 scoring finishes and they were pushing 40.

Reactions: MacBradley

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hard cap doesn't help veteran players. Especially after the 2010-2016 UFA signings of 29-31 year olds that blew up in the faces of the teams that signed them, committing long-term to a player at age 31 just doesn't seem smart in the vast majority of cases.

I'm wondering if Tampa may be ahead of the game on that. 7 year contracts for middling players for their last RFA contract to take the players until 31-33, and then you can just let them walk before their sharp decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad