are they trying to get Babcock fired

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Kyle Dubas (like Ducks GM Bob Murray did to head coach Kitty Carlyle) needs to give Babs a vote of confidence in order to send a clear message to Matthews and Nylander that Babs will not be run out of T.O.

No vote of confidence needed. His massive salary is a vote of confidence. He makes more than pretty much all the players.. which is usually not the case. Babcock has tremendous leverage.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Though at the same time above average coaches are available nearly ever offseason: much harder to replace a core as young as skilled as the Leafs.

That said, I think some folks are making a mountain out of a molehill right now. It’s a slump, a very bad one, but it won’t last.

I read that as "mountain out of a meatball" for some reason and tbh I like that better

Reactions: AreBe

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Kyle Dubas (like Ducks GM Bob Murray did to head coach Kitty Carlyle) needs to give Babs a vote of confidence in order to send a clear message to Matthews and Nylander that Babs will not be run out of T.O.
Respectfully disagree - you keep quiet as it is not an issue: Babcock is the coach no debate
With my zero milliseconds of professional training I diagnose Seasonal Affective Disorder and maybe the team therapist can get them back in the flow
They need to perform under bright lights, by that I mean the ones that simulate sunlight, which might be better than against the coach retaliate.
Babcock is their coach not their mother or their friend. The line the players must toe!

SAD is a type of major depressive disorder, and sufferers may exhibit any of the associated symptoms, such as feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness, thoughts of suicide, loss of interest in activities, withdrawal from social interaction, sleep and appetite problems, difficulty with concentrating and making decisions, decreased libido, a lack of energy, or agitation.[4] Symptoms of winter SAD often include oversleeping or difficulty waking up in the morning, nausea, and a tendency to over eat, often with a craving for carbohydrates, which leads to weight gain.[10] SAD is typically associated with winter depression, but springtime lethargy or other seasonal mood patterns are not uncommon.[11] Although each individual case is different, in contrast to winter SAD, people who experience spring and summer depression may be more likely to show symptoms such as insomnia, decreased appetite and weight loss, and agitation or anxiety.[4]
Seasonal affective disorder - Wikipedia

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
LOL you guys. No they're not trying to get Babcock fired, teams have these things called slumps and bad starts to games.

havent lost more than 2 games all year, they go on the road into places like NJ and light them up for 7 goals and guys in here are reserving their spots on Yonge st. for the parade. the next game they come out and have a bad game all around. It sucks but again this **** happens.

Hes not going anywhere anytime soon, even if some your guys replacement Keefe came in it would only be a matter of time till some of you start ********* about him.

Maybe the players need to wake the **** up. Matthews lately looks like hes out there for a skate around. Nylander keeps living off the "rust" excuse. Marner comes in off the blue line and tries to make to make too many cute plays with his little slap pass attempts that get blocked and the puck goes the other way.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
It may be that Nylander finding his game has caused greater disruption than was anticipated.

In the last 20 games, the club has won 9 games. Prior to Nylander's arrival, in the club's previous 11 games the club collected 9 wins.

I don't think the club is tuning out the coach or that cliffs are on the horizon. I think it's much more likely that a combination of injuries (to Matthews and Andersen), and the return of an out of game shape Nylander have caused the club to deal with inconsistent chemistry.

A couple of wins during the season is like a couple of goals during a game, a thing of chemistry and momentum that will show up and shift perspective. Theirs and ours. But, it will only show up once the team recovers from the residue of a somewhat bumpy season, internally.

Second in the division, third in the conference, seventh in the league, and this is our low point.

Times have changed.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
well what could it be then; theyve never had a bad stretch like this AND theyve added Tavares.
Scoring...Scoring is the answer. There were no lack of chances tonite! I am critical of Babs as well,about certain issues,but if these youngsters (or any other players) think Babs can be forced out,they are very wrong. Coaches can't score for you.They can look for chemistry between players,they can suggest in-game strategies against opponents,but they can't tell you stuff that is or should be obvious.
Besides ,he is Shannys hand picked golden boy,just like Dubas. Babs and his assistants will get these guys to settle down and be positive,encourage them to think things through ...that is a coaches job. Maybe he needs to change his motivation tactics,or maybe they collectively look at a game like tonites game and say ...30 blocked shots really shouldn't happen and move on to the next game.

Reactions: Doug Gilmour

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
This brings up a very great point.

Attitude reflects leadership.

Babcock is a general with no lieutenants and captains. We often have negative things to say about Komarov, Polak and Bozak but they brought leadership on and off the ice that we can’t replace with Tavares alone.

Reactions: The Apologist

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd hope not. Coaches are ultimately hired to be fired, but I wouldn't say he's been here that long.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I'd hope not. Coaches are ultimately hired to be fired, but I wouldn't say he's been here that long.
Babs overstayed in Detroit; it took a little bit of nudging from GM Ken Holland to show Babs where the exit door was located.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Babs overstayed in Detroit; it took a little bit of nudging from GM Ken Holland to show Babs where the exit door was located.

He coached Detroit for ten seasons though. I get how the message to the players can wear thin by that point, even though he still wasn't fired by Holland in the end.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
This brings up a very great point.

Attitude reflects leadership.

Babcock is a general with no lieutenants and captains. We often have negative things to say about Komarov, Polak and Bozak but they brought leadership on and off the ice that we can’t replace with Tavares alone.
It's time for the Leafs to stitch the "C" onto John Tavares' jerseys.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
My guess is that some of the players read this board and decided that this fanbase did not deserve a winning team. I know it crosses my mind a lot.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Babcock dislikes Matthews and vice versa. Babcock could never play Auston Matthews the 87th rank for ice time amongst Forwards if he had his star players back and liked him. This is a massive problem.

Playing his 4th line post whistle in the defensive zone vs #1 lines on other teams will have everybody on the squad wondering what the bleep he is doing. Its like handing the opposing team an opportunity to roast u and he keeps doing it. Whats the message? "im the boss" ? There is no logic to do this if u want to win games.

Blatant refusal to pair Marner/Matthews. Matthews has had 7 wingers this year for extended times, none have been Marner. Matthews instead has Nylander demoted off his line and a bunch of 3rd liners rotating on and off his line who cant be the puck possession/playmaker Matthews needs.

Why stay loyal to Marincin? Again is this a "im the boss" move? Marincin with a penalty on his first shift tonight and 2 brutal turnovers in his own end leading to chances in the first period alone. Basically the same thing he always does but is always given a shot to redeem himself. Imagine suiting Marincin up again next game? Probably has the teams blood boiling.

Babcock proved last year flexing his power rules over winning hockey games. Look at Komarov's ice time in January, the PP time in close games. Using Komarov as his message to " listen to me" because Komarov "works hard and u cant skill your way around the ice". Look at Matthews ice time in the playoffs.

The OP raised a legit question. Most people here are followers and I do believe this will come out in the media at some point, the major dislike for Babcock's arrogance and constant need for reminding everyone who the boss is.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Ah give Mikey a couple 3 more years, by that time most of the roster will have been traded or left.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Babcock dislikes Matthews and vice versa. Babcock could never play Auston Matthews the 87th rank for ice time amongst Forwards if he had his star players back and liked him. This is a massive problem.

Playing his 4th line post whistle in the defensive zone vs #1 lines on other teams will have everybody on the squad wondering what the bleep he is doing. Its like handing the opposing team an opportunity to roast u and he keeps doing it. Whats the message? "im the boss" ? There is no logic to do this if u want to win games.

Blatant refusal to pair Marner/Matthews. Matthews has had 7 wingers this year for extended times, none have been Marner. Matthews instead has Nylander demoted off his line and a bunch of 3rd liners rotating on and off his line who cant be the puck possession/playmaker Matthews needs.

Why stay loyal to Marincin? Again is this a "im the boss" move? Marincin with a penalty on his first shift tonight and 2 brutal turnovers in his own end leading to chances in the first period alone. Basically the same thing he always does but is always given a shot to redeem himself. Imagine suiting Marincin up again next game? Probably has the teams blood boiling.

Babcock proved last year flexing his power rules over winning hockey games. Look at Komarov's ice time in January, the PP time in close games. Using Komarov as his message to " listen to me" because Komarov "works hard and u cant skill your way around the ice". Look at Matthews ice time in the playoffs.

The OP raised a legit question. Most people here are followers and I do believe this will come out in the media at some point, the major dislike for Babcock's arrogance and constant need for reminding everyone who the boss is.

You forgot to mention 4 yrs and 40 plus games into the season and he is still trying to find lines by mixing personel...The who the "boss Is" comment is spot on tho....he will self destruct to prove the point. Babcock is Gm/coach and the boss....50 mil says so

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Matthews is injured or sulking.

He looks like he doesn't care. I hope he's OK.

Many players look defeated.

I'd play dead weight Nylander with Matthews just to lower Matthews salary.

This year feels bad. I'm trading at the deadline. July 1st i'm looking for good D for Nylander.

Reactions: Dark Ambient

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
no but the private meeting Babcock had to have with Mathews was a bit of a red flag
now that nylander crapped the bed it's just magnified
Dubas needs to say something

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matthews is injured or sulking.

He looks like he doesn't care. I hope he's OK.

Many players look defeated.

I'd play dead weight Nylander with Matthews just to lower Matthews salary.

This year feels bad. I'm trading at the deadline. July 1st i'm looking for good D for Nylander.

Trade Jake
Trade Nylander in the summer
Trade Brown
Let Moore play

May as well get it over with now. This is looking like a collapse, like Nylander broke the chemistry and Matthews is obviously injured. I remember this happened to other star studded teams. The rangers even. Dubas dropped the ball and went full softy. It's on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad