are they trying to get Babcock fired

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I believe Bill Watters said they have tuned Babs out after the game last night. I doubt it but losing to a Yotes team that was missing it's #1 goalie and 4 or 5 forwards is ffod for thought.

Reactions: ToMaLe and rumman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I believe Bill Watters said they have tuned Babs out after the game last night. I doubt it but losing to a Yotes team that was missing it's #1 goalie and 4 or 5 forwards is ffod for thought.

Doubt it. Dubas made a weak team, he even traded one of the sturdy possession player to keep Ennis who does not play at all. He kept a terrible backup in Sparks. The icing and cherry all in one was the fail negotiations with Nylander. Obviously it rattled the room.

Poor management. Dubas will be fired before Babs

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Doubt it. Dubas made a weak team, he even traded one of the sturdy possession player to keep Ennis who does not play at all. He kept a terrible backup in Sparks. The icing and cherry all in one was the fail negotiations with Nylander. Obviously it rattled the room.

Not ready to write off either until the D is addressed. Now if I was Shanny and Dubbie refused to trade Willie this summer, he would be fired so he can keep his word to Nylander.

Reactions: rumman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not ready to write off either until the D is addressed. Now if I was Shanny and Dubbie refused to trade Willie this summer, he would be fired so he can keep his word to Nylander.

Then Dubas isn't a man of his word. He has no integrity after that. It's over. He is going into the Dave Nonis bin. The first thing I would do if f were Dubas is shake up the team. Trade Jake Brown or AJ to start. Waive Sparks. Make them shave again. Enforce Lou policies, heck even fire DJ Smith.

He needs to get this team under control.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Then Dubas isn't a man of his word. He has no integrity after that. It's over. He is going into the Dave Nonis bin. The first thing I would do if f were Dubas is shake up the team. Trade Jake Brown or AJ to start. Waive Sparks. Make them shave again. Enforce Lou policies, heck even fire DJ Smith.

He needs to get this team under control.

Firing DJ Smith or having a talk with him should be the very first thing that should be done. Dubas is on record saying that forwards don't come back to help or not provide outlets to D; is this a system thing or forwards not following the system has to be addressed.

good habits are instilled and then they become second nature; if you don't instill good habits then you have floaters like jvr/bozak

Reactions: Al14

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

I'm glad Leivo got his chance elsewhere, no way he should have been traded though. He was playing great this year.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
you keep saying this, you better not be getting my hopes up for nothing. :popcorn:

man if willy goes on a tear post all-star break and then in playoffs we may be singing a different tune (including me) :laugh:

yea but his current play needs a lot to be desired

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I'm guessing we'll start to hear about problems in the locker room.
Remember... when Nylander held out for two months to get a higher cap percentage than he deserves, that extra money does not come out of mlse's pockets. We were going to spend to the cap ceiling regardless.

No, that extra money came out of his teammates pockets. Marners, Matthews, Kapanen, Johnsson, Dermott, Sparks. It comes from THEIR pockets. No matter how you slice it. No matter the amount of spin used to try and think of it differently... the FACT is that Nylanders overpayment money comes out of his teammates pockets.

Then they see him come back out of shape and he sometimes doesn't even seem to be trying out there.

Matthews looks completely disengaged, and I don't think it's a long shot to say he's unhappy with Babcock.

Book it. We'll start hearing about it soon.

Locker room problems.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland

Ennis is hurt; personally I thought he was doing great. The state of the defense however is inexcusable. Other than Rielly and Dermott I don't care if I ever see the other guys again

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
***If*** your core players are engineering a mutiny when they're still on their ELC's or one month into their new contract, I think your problem is less getting rid of your coach but may as well go back to square one of the rebuild because that's not a group of guys you're likely to get very far with without some serious maturation.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Matthews looks completely disengaged, and I don't think it's a long shot to say he's unhappy with Babcock.
Bridge deal then.
Just like what we should have done with Nylander.

Edit ... i'm actually glad we did a six year deal with Nylander so we can trade him for a D. July 1st can't come soon enough

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
this cannot be real.... it actually make me laugh that people want this to happen half way through year #4

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
Babcock dislikes Matthews and vice versa. Babcock could never play Auston Matthews the 87th rank for ice time amongst Forwards if he had his star players back and liked him. This is a massive problem.

Playing his 4th line post whistle in the defensive zone vs #1 lines on other teams will have everybody on the squad wondering what the bleep he is doing. Its like handing the opposing team an opportunity to roast u and he keeps doing it. Whats the message? "im the boss" ? There is no logic to do this if u want to win games.

Blatant refusal to pair Marner/Matthews. Matthews has had 7 wingers this year for extended times, none have been Marner. Matthews instead has Nylander demoted off his line and a bunch of 3rd liners rotating on and off his line who cant be the puck possession/playmaker Matthews needs.

Why stay loyal to Marincin? Again is this a "im the boss" move? Marincin with a penalty on his first shift tonight and 2 brutal turnovers in his own end leading to chances in the first period alone. Basically the same thing he always does but is always given a shot to redeem himself. Imagine suiting Marincin up again next game? Probably has the teams blood boiling.

Babcock proved last year flexing his power rules over winning hockey games. Look at Komarov's ice time in January, the PP time in close games. Using Komarov as his message to " listen to me" because Komarov "works hard and u cant skill your way around the ice". Look at Matthews ice time in the playoffs.

The OP raised a legit question. Most people here are followers and I do believe this will come out in the media at some point, the major dislike for Babcock's arrogance and constant need for reminding everyone who the boss is.

This this this... the smug arrogance we see through pressers, imagine that behind closed doors.
The pp has been in a free fall for 2 months and his solution is to switch guys around... news flash buddy 30 of 31 coaching staffs have figured out how predictable our pp is.
Our breakout is disgusting.
The overuse of the stretch pass.
Our defense has flaws but come our team is way too talented to consistently outplayed.
Time to change things up.
Dudes a dinosaur. Just look at our play..

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm guessing we'll start to hear about problems in the locker room.
Remember... when Nylander held out for two months to get a higher cap percentage than he deserves, that extra money does not come out of mlse's pockets. We were going to spend to the cap ceiling regardless.

No, that extra money came out of his teammates pockets. Marners, Matthews, Kapanen, Johnsson, Dermott, Sparks. It comes from THEIR pockets. No matter how you slice it. No matter the amount of spin used to try and think of it differently... the FACT is that Nylanders overpayment money comes out of his teammates pockets.

Then they see him come back out of shape and he sometimes doesn't even seem to be trying out there.

Book it. We'll start hearing about it soon.

Locker room problems.

Not if we don't keep Nylander.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Babcock dislikes Matthews and vice versa. Babcock could never play Auston Matthews the 87th rank for ice time amongst Forwards if he had his star players back and liked him. This is a massive problem.

Playing his 4th line post whistle in the defensive zone vs #1 lines on other teams will have everybody on the squad wondering what the bleep he is doing. Its like handing the opposing team an opportunity to roast u and he keeps doing it. Whats the message? "im the boss" ? There is no logic to do this if u want to win games.

Blatant refusal to pair Marner/Matthews. Matthews has had 7 wingers this year for extended times, none have been Marner. Matthews instead has Nylander demoted off his line and a bunch of 3rd liners rotating on and off his line who cant be the puck possession/playmaker Matthews needs.

Why stay loyal to Marincin? Again is this a "im the boss" move? Marincin with a penalty on his first shift tonight and 2 brutal turnovers in his own end leading to chances in the first period alone. Basically the same thing he always does but is always given a shot to redeem himself. Imagine suiting Marincin up again next game? Probably has the teams blood boiling.

Babcock proved last year flexing his power rules over winning hockey games. Look at Komarov's ice time in January, the PP time in close games. Using Komarov as his message to " listen to me" because Komarov "works hard and u cant skill your way around the ice". Look at Matthews ice time in the playoffs.

The OP raised a legit question. Most people here are followers and I do believe this will come out in the media at some point, the major dislike for Babcock's arrogance and constant need for reminding everyone who the boss is.

I prefer Auston Matthews to Mike Babcock, and would like nothing more than for him to put up amazing numbers, get all the ice time, etc. but I think Babcock has to be in charge in this situation and of a guy on his ELC so we don't have a Kessel vs Carlyle dysfunctional dynamic. There's got to be a chain of command and the coach has to be running it his way. He's the coach.

When you look back on Zetterberg and Datsyuk's ice time, they were routinely played in the 19 minute range throughout their careers. Both those guys could have played a ton more and we used to always have those Datsyuk vs Crosby debates, and Wings fans routinely commented on if Babs utilized them in a free reign style, Datsyuk would score so much more. Granted there was a lot of friction there too with those guys, but those players also won with Babcock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->