are they trying to get Babcock fired

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I prefer Auston Matthews to Mike Babcock, and would like nothing more than for him to put up amazing numbers, get all the ice time, etc. but I think Babcock has to be in charge in this situation and of a guy on his ELC so we don't have a Kessel vs Carlyle dysfunctional dynamic. There's got to be a chain of command and the coach has to be running it his way. He's the coach.

When you look back on Zetterberg and Datsyuk's ice time, they were routinely played in the 19 minute range throughout their careers. Both those guys could have played a ton more and we used to always have those Datsyuk vs Crosby debates, and Wings fans routinely commented on if Babs utilized them in a free reign style, Datsyuk would score so much more. Granted there was a lot of friction there too with those guys, but those players also won with Babcock.
ya, one ring; can you imagine that leafs only have one ring in the next 8 years? :sarcasm:

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
I love it when you guys come up with a rumor and after a while almost everybody buys into that.
Like the dressing room thing.
The players hate William Nylander. Boohoo.

1st Nylanders contract=Pastas contract+cap inflation.
2nd recency bias= Nylander is a good player just some of you forgot it. Also European bias against him whats so f***ing stupid.
3rd Sportnets latest about the young core: Rielly Marner Matthews Brown and NYLANDER practicing together after Babcocks practice. See teammates Hate Nylander because the waited out for a FAIR contract. Im pretty sure our young core wants fair contracts too. I cant wait for the hfboard go crazy when next season Marner signs on 1st Dec and hes gonna have like 3 goals by end of January.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I'm guessing we'll start to hear about problems in the locker room.
Remember... when Nylander held out for two months to get a higher cap percentage than he deserves, that extra money does not come out of mlse's pockets. We were going to spend to the cap ceiling regardless.

No, that extra money came out of his teammates pockets. Marners, Matthews, Kapanen, Johnsson, Dermott, Sparks. It comes from THEIR pockets. No matter how you slice it. No matter the amount of spin used to try and think of it differently... the FACT is that Nylanders overpayment money comes out of his teammates pockets.

Then they see him come back out of shape and he sometimes doesn't even seem to be trying out there.

Matthews looks completely disengaged, and I don't think it's a long shot to say he's unhappy with Babcock.

Book it. We'll start hearing about it soon.

Locker room problems.

I can't tell if you actually believe this, or are just saying that the media will start to create the story.

Either way, utterly ridiculous. I'm sorry but people who actually think that Nylander got a higher cap hit then he deserves are so out of touch with the modern NHL cap situation that it's not even worth debating anymore. There is a list of players (Ehlers, Draisatl, Pasta) who had similar (if not lower) ppg% at a similar age that got the EXACT same contract, some of them at earlier years with the overall cap even lower.

Whether your personal opinion equates Nylander to a lesser players then guys like Drai, or Pasta DOES NOT MATTER, nor does there production since signing the contract. That's not how contracts are signed and negotiated in the NHL, it's based off production to date and predictions of future production during the life of the contract. Nylander is not likely to remain a 60pt player in the NHL playing with the likes of Matthews or Tavares for the bulk of his career, and likely levels out between 70-80 points on a yearly basis. Is this worth 7mil/AAV in the current NHL? Your personal opinion might say no, but again, it's irrelevant because the numbers say it is.

nylander-comparables.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad