Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ofcourse they are contenders... Now having said that I truly don't think they will win this year BUT I would put them in the "contender" category forsure.

I just don't think they will be able to beat all the teams they need to beat in the East in order to make it to the finals

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Quite educated, thank you very much.

When your core four are a bunch of soft, non-existent duds, it does not matter what the Bertuzzi's and Domi's of the world do.
But that wasn’t what you were arguing. Stay on topic. The core 4 had nothing to do with you saying Bertuzzi wasn’t clutch in the playoffs

He’s done it in the AHL and NHL. Again stay
On topic and do your research

In regards to the topic:

If they could play more consistent and put it altogether yes they could win the cup.

But they can’t play at the elite level consistently and give up far too many prime offensive opportunities

Their goalie would have to stand on his head, they would need a lot of luck and their top guys need to go beast mode.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I agree. Talent is not an issue with the Leafs. From top to bottom they need to all play playoff style hockey as much as possible.

Hopefully the Florida series last year taught them that. I’ve seen the leafs play many shifts, periods and even complete games this year where, if they did that in the playoffs, they’d do well.

It’s just a question of what team is gonna show up.

They literally played games like that in the playoffs against Florida and still lost. I think people are forgetting the performance that Bobrovsky put up, all the games were intense and pretty close with the Leafs even outplaying them a few times.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
But that wasn’t what you were arguing. Stay on topic. The core 4 had nothing to do with you saying Bertuzzi wasn’t clutch in the playoffs

In regards to the topic:

If they could play more consistent and put it altogether yes they could win the cup.

But they can’t play at the elite level consistently and give up far too many prime offensive opportunities

Their goalie would have to stand on his head, they would need a lot of luck and their top guys need to go beast mode.

Bertuzzi was a PP merchant in those 7 games, he had 5 goals and 10 pts in those 7 games.
3 goals and 6 of the 10 pts came on the PP.

When 5 on 5, he was on the ice for 4 GF and 7 GA. Not sure he puts up those numbers again on a stacked PP unit in TOR.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Yes or no and also if you want why?

Leafs are in year #8 of Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner. Year #6 of prized UFA signing John Tavares. Since the beginning of the 2019-20 season they have the 4th most points of any team in the NHL. Those kind of results speak for themselves, Toronto clearly has a very good hockey team. But are they capable of winning the ultimate prize?
Toronto is the best team in Canada.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
I do think it is true.they just crushed Buf in Buf. Do not hate the player, hate the game!

No doubt they are the best team in Canada and soon will be in North America. They are peaking now set for a couple cup wins in a row!
Arizona native carries Canada team to cup win...What a title! He will do my state proud!!

Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

In regards to the topic:

Who are you tell me to stay on topic? Or what I was arguing?

Tell me where I said anything about Bertuzzi being clutch or not.

My point is, if the Leafs need to depend on those players, to get it done, they will be done early again. The Leafs win multiple rounds, and maybe a Cup, if their core four change their game in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad