Are the Rangers a serious playoff contender?

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
they should finish around 22nd, defence and depth is bad, expect inexperience to carry them to the playoffs? maybe in 2 years if things go well

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Squarp

Ranger for Life
Feb 19, 2012
Gonna agree with the folks saying not this year. Too many rookies and young guys. Definitely has potential to be a playoff threat in 2-3 seasons, but only time will tell if they reach that potential.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Outside of the first line and first D pair that lineup looks like a tire fire
DeAngelo was out best dman last year and hes on that 3rd pair projection. I think we are a bubble team that has a chance to be awesome in 2020/2021. We either need to make a trade for a 2c or pray that one of andersson chytil or howden becomes a 2c within the next year

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I think they will be close to a lower playoff seeding for sure this upcoming year...problem is there is such parity in the league that nothing is a guarantee these days....but they will be close....

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
DeAngelo was out best dman last year and hes on that 3rd pair projection. I think we are a bubble team that has a chance to be awesome in 2020/2021. We either need to make a trade for a 2c or pray that one of andersson chytil or howden becomes a 2c within the next year
Expecting Fox to be better than DeAngelo straight out of the box is a bit optimistic. Though IMO Fox' ceiling is lower than DeAngelo's current level.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
It's very impressive what they have done, but still a year away I believe. Once those prospects all come up and start producing they'll be a force.

It's not bad by any means, but I still don't love their defense.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I think we will compete for a playoff spot, but I think we're another year or so away from being a contender.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Without a doubt. They'll be one of the wild card teams. However, Henrik has to be better than he was last year. But I think he will be.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not next year, but in 2-3 years when Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, Denagleo, Chytil, Andersson and Sheshorkin all start coming into their own...oh man this team will be SCARY good in a couple.

And they still have other top prospects like Miller and Lundkvist on defense.

All with the bread man now...oh and about to lock up a top pair dman with Trouba...

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
They can go all the way to the finals for sure. Kakko has already won 3 world champions as a 18yo so he is a winner!

Reactions: Lovsan

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Adding Kakko, Kravtsov, Panarin, Trouba, and Fox really reshapes everything. Hopefully Chytil, Hajek, DeAngelo, and Anderson continue to make strides forward.

Miller is another dman in the pipeline that could be legit too.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
They're rebuilding great, but they are not a contender. Heck I'm not even sure they make the playoffs next year.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
definitely not on paper, but the playoffs are possible. they’re still a couple of years away from being a ‘serious playoffs contender’

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think we just miss. I also think that a lot of young players will break out next year and that Kravtsov will surprise people by how good he is already. I’m looking at Buchnevich and Chytil for breakouts though, this upcoming year is major for Buch and Chytil has showed great upside. I cannot wait to watch this team though, most excited I’ve been for any season

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
If we’re on the bubble I’d be impressed. Way too many young players just trying to find a place now.

Great offseason but even the next two years there should be quite an overhaul on this roster.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Outside of the first line and first D pair that lineup looks like a tire fire

I doubt that'll be the first line. More likely it'll be split up with Panarin on one line and Zibanejad on the other. Kakko will probably be a second player on one of those two lines, and Buchnevich a second player on the other. Chytil and Kravtsov likely take the last two top six spots, which they should be able to do. Thats a good top six. There won't be many top sixes better in the league, and the bottom six has good depth.

The right side of the defense is one of the better right sides in the league. Trouba, DeAngelo, Shattenkirk/Fox is a very good right side. The left side needs work. That is true.

The goalie situation isn't as bad as you say, if they go upon merit. We have the best goalie prospect in the league who should be NHL ready, and Georgiyev also had a good season. We more than likely have the goaltending to compete for a playoff spot, whether Lundqvist is playing well or not, unless they keep playing him over the other two goalies.

Reactions: bl02

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is a low-end playoff team for next season.

Buchnevich-Zibanejad-Kravtsov
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Lemieux-Howden-Andersson
Strome-Nieves-Fast
McKegg

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-DeAngelo
Rykov/Hajek-Shattenkirk
Lindgren

Lundqvist
Shestyorkin
Georgiyev

We have to trade Kreider and Namestnikov without any retention. We likely have little leverage in either trade, but I think we can get a first back for Kreider, and at least a late rounder back for Namestnikov. Then we should be cap-compliant without buying anyone out. Burying Smith's contract in the minors likely helps with that, but if we have cap room without that, he can be the 7th D ahead of Lindgren.

There's no point in buying out Shattenkirk this season, as we can make sure we don't pay a 2nd round pick to Carolina for Fox, if he doesn't hit 30 games. Let him be the 4th D on the right side, and play 25 games with the rest of his season coming in the AHL. Shattenkirk likely also gives us a better player this season in that spot, and maybe he ups his value some, and we can trade him after this season.

There's not many other position battles here. Rykov/Hajek is one battle, the other starts in Hartford. Kravtsov probably won't be NHL ready, but with the need to get rid of some wingers because of the Panarin signing, he might have to start in the NHL. I guess there's also a conundrum in goal. Hopefully this is based on merit, and Lundqvist doesn't get to play, if he doesn't play well. Either way, we could have three good options, so there should be no reason why we are regularly playing an ineffective goalie.

In another season or two, Lundqvist, Staal, Shattenkirk and Smith come off the cap, we have nearly 30M with a very deep prospect pool, and we can package a few of our defensive prospects (Miller, Lundkvist, Robertson, Jones, Rykov, Hajek, Reunanen, Keane, Lindgren) for a top pairing defensemen on the left side. At that point, we should be ready to compete for the Cup.

Reactions: Wease

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad