Are the Rangers a serious playoff contender?

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
No, their goaltending is suspect. Panarin is a great winger, and player, but I don't think he's a player you build around. They still have some work to do. Hank is done, and isn't an elite goaltender anymore.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Could make the playoffs if kakko, chytil, andersson and fox delivers, but definitely not a contender right now

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
They're a playoff team, and likely one move away. Adding Panarin, Kakko, Kravtsov, Trouba and Fox will be noticeable on the ice. The youth likely takes a step forward, and because the talent level was elevated, I suspect a few players will benefit from that.

Also anybody who thinks Hank has fallen off clearly doesn't watch the team. He has slowed down, but is still very good. He will benefit from a more mobile defense group in front of him.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
No, their goaltending is suspect. Panarin is a great winger, and player, but I don't think he's a player you build around. They still have some work to do. Hank is done, and isn't an elite goaltender anymore.
hopefully with an improved defense Hank will have a better year. If not all is not lost. They have two pretty good young goalies in Georgiev and Shestyorkin and some pretty good defensive prospects waiting in the wings.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
They’ll be in contention this year for a playoff spot more on the bubble though, in the next 2-3 years they should be a very strong team.

They’ve got some really good prospects in the pipeline after Kakko graduates to being an NHLer in a couple months.

K’Andre Miller has the potential to be a dynamic top 4 D man. He’s a really interesting prospect who should make the jump to the NHL in a couple years.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How long ago was the letter sent to Ranger fans??

Panarin — Zibanejad — Kakko
Kravstov — — Buchnevich
Chytil — Andersson — Fast
Lemieux — Howden — Strome

Trouba — Skjei
Fox — Shatty
TDA — Staal

Hankie
Georgie/Shesty

Finish up a 2c. Can they put up a nice run? What a beauty Gorton/Sather has done with this organization
Don't plan the parade too early. A lot of ifs about this roster still.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
HOW can you ask this when even you point out their holes in their line up? A second pair consisting of Fox and Shattenkirk? Oh my...

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
since there is a long history of high profile players signing huge contracts with the Rangers only to disappoint, I will wait and see. The pressure on Panarin is going to be epic
You mean like it was in Columbus when he was a product of Kane and all. The guy time and again has proven he is legit.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
Depends on how well Pitt and Columbus do. I think we assume Isles drop a bit - Washington remains strong and devils get in above rangers.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Without a doubt. They'll be one of the wild card teams. However, Henrik has to be better than he was last year. But I think he will be.
If he's not, we just start Georgiev.

The problem for this team won't be goaltending. The problem for this team will be absolutely no center depth to speak of and an AHL-caliber left side of defense.

I think our rebuild is going well and we could be very good very soon, don't get me wrong, but that lineup in OP is not a good hockey team.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If he's not, we just start Georgiev.

The problem for this team won't be goaltending. The problem for this team will be absolutely no center depth to speak of and an AHL-caliber left side of defense.

I think our rebuild is going well and we could be very good very soon, don't get me wrong, but that lineup in OP is not a good hockey team.

Respectfully disagree. It's not a SC contending team, but it is at the very least a playoff contending team. The East is loaded, so maybe that is the downfall, and its pretty green, but if it clicks then look out.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Respectfully disagree. It's not a SC contending team, but it is at the very least a playoff contending team. The East is loaded, so maybe that is the downfall, and its pretty green, but if it clicks then look out.
I guess that's true, but any team can click.

But I do appreciate the kind words :D And like I said, I do like what we're doing long-term either way.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I guess that's true, but any team can click.

But I do appreciate the kind words :D And like I said, I do like what we're doing long-term either way.

Zibanejad and Panarin are going to be magical. It's going to be a fun 7 years for Rangers fans.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
They'll be good but the rest of the team screams top 10 draft pick next year.

Ryan strome as your 2c is not what you want.

The depth down the middle is concerning especially in the East. But the offseason isn't over.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
The depth down the middle is concerning especially in the East. But the offseason isn't over.

Agreed. I get going after the big guys like Panarin and Trouba but it seems like the rest of the team won't be at the point of competing for another 2-3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->