Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
The rebuild is not finished. They won't be a playoff team this year.

But those are good things. We'll get to draft one of the elite centers in the top 10 next June and we'll be in a very good spot in 21-22 when Lundqvist, Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith, etc all come off the books, we have another 30m in cap space, and many of our prospects are fully developed finally. 2021-22 will be our best opportunity in 25 years to win a Cup.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

But those are good things. We'll get to draft one of the elite centers in the top 10 next June and we'll be in a very good spot in 21-22 when Lundqvist, Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith, etc all come off the books, we have another 30m in cap space, and many of our prospects are fully developed finally. 2021-22 will be our best opportunity in 25 years to win a Cup.
Agreed. And that cap space will come in handy down the road when those prospects turn into RFAs and need contracts. Tanking in the standings is the easy part. The real challenge is development and cap management.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

So you think they will be a bottom team? I think with the winger they signed and with Trouba, they might be too good to get a high pick and too bad to make the playoffs. They might get stuck in no man's land and maybe spinning their wheels.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
They have stocked up a pool and cashed in on assets like in the most ideal way but one could argue they are repeating mistakes of the old NYR and jumping up to compete when they should try to get more young elite pieces. This talk of them being some contender is crazy and shortsighted.
Yep. They're building to be a solid playoff team like the Rangers from 2011-2016, but not a SC contender.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
At 26y he has just 1 year at 74 points on a higher scoring season, which is the low low tier of that group and those guys have proven them way more than Zib.

They've made lot of improvements and added some franchise talent but I'm not sure if a Cup winning core is there today.

My argument wasnt that he was an elite #1 center. It was just that he is a #1 center. He was 20th overall in scoring centermen last season, as a 25 yr old, with a bad supporting cast. Excuse me if i think he will vastly improve those numbers a year older with Panarin as his linemate.

Id lmao if they won the cup next year, im not crazy. Hell if they made the playoffs id be surprised. The core is there, it just needs a year or 2

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
My argument wasnt that he was an elite #1 center. It was just that he is a #1 center. He was 20th overall in scoring centermen last season, as a 25 yr old, with a bad supporting cast. Excuse me if i think he will vastly improve those numbers a year older with Panarin as his linemate.

Id lmao if they won the cup next year, im not crazy. Hell if they made the playoffs id be surprised. The core is there, it just needs a year or 2

You neither have a franchise D-man or a franchise C there, which should be a concern.

Yes Panarin will be your best forward next season, but that doesn't make Zib an elite C.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
You don't know what Georgiv will give you and you don't know what Shesty will give you.

It's the great unknown 100%

I stated quite clearly what georgiev will give us. Strong play on a back up schedule for 25 games with the potential of an average starter or better.

That's not unknown, that's upside

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This reminiscent of cocky buffalo fans proclaiming which year they would win a cup after drafting eichel and thinking Murray was a great gm.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Not unless Chytil and Howden take massive steps. Even the supposedly worst team in the league, Ottawa Senators, have better C depth.

LV Knight Life

Apr 10, 2019
I stated quite clearly what georgiev will give us. Strong play on a back up schedule for 25 games with the potential of an average starter or better.

That's not unknown, that's upside

I'd agree, Georgiev is getting underrated here. The kid looked good last year and was getting the majority of the tough games late in the season. Just look at who started against who from March onward:

Lundqvist: Montreal, Detroit, New Jersey, Vancouver, Minnesota, Detroit, Boston, New Jersey, Ottawa

Georgiev: Washington, Dallas, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Columbus, Pittsburgh

That's not by accident. New York wanted to see what they had and he showed them. Going up against 8 playoff teams in his last 10 starts he posted a .935 save percentage, so backup goalie shouldn't be much of a concern.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Fastest in people's heads maybe. Their defense still is mediocre, Lundqvist is still old, their center depth is still lacking, and their forward prospects are still unproven. They're likely not making the playoffs this year let alone being a contender.
the defense aint gonna be mediocre when my boy adam fox comes up

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They look like they have a long ways to go before being a playoff team still.

Center depth is putrid without much promise in the system, goaltending is suspect at best with Lundqvist aging, and the Defense consists of Trouba and little else at the NHL level right now although they have a couple promising Dmen at least in the system.

They're still a bottom 10 team next year even with the Panarin and Trouba additions.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hopefully this isn't the finished product, they lack the centre depth to be an actual contender.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Ignoring the fact that it’s july and a game hasn’t been played yet.
I am sure other rebuilt as fast or faster.
Off the top of my head, Flyers went from worst team in the league to acquiring Briere, Timmonen, Hartnell, JVR and went to conference finals the next year.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
You neither have a franchise D-man or a franchise C there, which should be a concern.

Yes Panarin will be your best forward next season, but that doesn't make Zib an elite C.

Who were the Blues franchise C and D?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Winning the lottery and getting kakko sped up the rebuild big time. The rangers were able to add 2 big names this summer but even if the timing was off by a year or 2, panarin and trouba were both too good, too young to normally be available, and too cheap in terms of assets to not get them. They should also insulate and help our top prospects develop. I think the rangers could be a bubble team this year. The team probably cant be a realistic cup contender until 2021/22 when staal, smith, shattenkirk, Lundqvists contracts are off the books and hopefully kakko and kravtsov have broken out into 1st line players. It would be nice if at least one of miller, deangelo, fox, and lundquist hit their top potential and were first pair dmen.
Agreed. Panarin and Trouba aren’t on one-year deals. Rangers couldn’t pass up the opportunity. They aren’t done rebuilding just because they signed Trouba and Panarin to lengthy deals. Tanking isn’t the only way to rebuild. You don’t have to place in the bottom five every year to get better. The Rangers just need to keep their eyes on the plan and not trade away a bunch of valuable futures. If they keep investing in the draft and in prospect development they can continue to rebuild.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
there is so much wrong with the theory of this thread

1) They are over the cap
2) Usually judgement at passed AFTER a team has ACTUALLY played
3) Rebuilds arent really rebuilds when you just go out an spend money--those usually bite you in the ass
4) Take a look at their roster for the 20/21 season 5 of their top 7 guys will be needing new contracts

bit early to say the rebuild is over

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Vegas has no gap space left, they'll have to decide between Gusev and one of their current key players.

I mean I would understand if you were literally conversing with some one and misheard CAP space for GAP space but this is a internet forum where you see and read (maybe) CAP space numerous times where you should never write GAP space.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Just one and half year ago Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton wrote a letter to Rangers fans that they're bout to go into a rebuild. Now it seems very likely, that Rangers team will be a fine stanley cup competitor for the upcoming years adding key pieces like Panarin and Trouba.

I think they're the fastest team to have done a rebuild. Has any team gone from rebuild to a competitor in so short time?

Man, this has super mega jinx thread written all over it. Did you order your Stanley Cup t shirt yet? Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce