Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Georgiev did alright in a back up role but development isn’t linear and there’s no guarantee he can maintain those numbers with a larger workload and there’s no guarantee the other Russian can even play as a back up at this level at least at this point. If you want to argue the team is set in net moving forward then sure I won’t disagree but for next season they do not have a proven solution in net and that’s just a fact.

Shestyorkin is significantly better than Georgiyev already, that's not in doubt.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Playing in the NHL is not necessary to judge a player's ability. Just the same we can already say that Gusev is one of the better forwards in the league although he hasn't played a game in the NHL.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Playing in the NHL is not necessary to judge a player's ability. Just the same we can already say that Gusev is one of the better forwards in the league although he hasn't played a game in the NHL.
Who the hell is saying Gusev is one of the better forwards in the league? I’ve yet to hear that anywhere credible. Maybe some really big Russian homers.

Reactions: Jauffre

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I mean he put up similar/better numbers than some of the names you listed with a far inferior supporting cast

At 26y he has just 1 year at 74 points on a higher scoring season, which is the low low tier of that group and those guys have proven them way more than Zib.

They've made lot of improvements and added some franchise talent but I'm not sure if a Cup winning core is there today.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
They actually have a great group of D going into next year too. Stop living in the past.

That's not true. Only some of HFBoards. HFboard's opinion on the Leafs has historically represented the opposite of the truth/result anyway.

2 worst defensive teams were LA and Ottawa last season Leafs acquired the worst d-men from those teams... Acquired Barrie who is a smaller Gardiner who is worse in his own zone. Manarcin, a bust prospect from pre Mcdavid Oiler days. 2 rookies only Toronto fans are hyping up that have shown nothing but bottom pairing play at best so far. Yeah, great job this offseason.

Agree with you there, Leafs got further in the playoffs with Kessel, Bozak, Orr, Phaneuf, Mclaren, and the boss man himself, Randy Carlyle. No one expected that lmao. Maybe Shanny will throw 100 million at Poile when his contract is up and some competent D core will, FINALLY, come to Leaf nation. But nah, keep throwing your faith in the often injured 70 point extraordinaire Mathews, the soon to be 30 Tavares who is meh at skating, and that Swedish kid has the genes of an underperforming Jagr benefactor known for hold outs running through him. I almost pity Leaf nation, ALMOST. ;)

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Gusev is one of the better forwards in the league?

I think you just spew nonsense to get a rise out of people or be controversial

Reactions: hawksrule

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Winning the lottery and getting kakko sped up the rebuild big time. The rangers were able to add 2 big names this summer but even if the timing was off by a year or 2, panarin and trouba were both too good, too young to normally be available, and too cheap in terms of assets to not get them. They should also insulate and help our top prospects develop. I think the rangers could be a bubble team this year. The team probably cant be a realistic cup contender until 2021/22 when staal, smith, shattenkirk, Lundqvists contracts are off the books and hopefully kakko and kravtsov have broken out into 1st line players. It would be nice if at least one of miller, deangelo, fox, and lundquist hit their top potential and were first pair dmen.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Panarin Zibanejad - Kaakko
Buchnevich - Chytil - Kravtsov
Kreider - Andersson - X
Lemieux - Nieves - Fast

Skjei - Trouba
X - DeAngelo
Hajek - Fox

Lundqvist
Shestyorkin
Georgiev

Top line and 4th line set
Middle 6 needs work but Chytil and Kravtsov should at the very least stick. Kreider probably moved on from, Buchman may not be the best fit long term, Andersson may not be top 9 caliber. Probably need at least one more impact player at least on Zibanejad's level

RD set LD probably needs work. Can use someone better than Skjei

Goaltending pretty set

Seems they're pretty close. If they can pry Gusev from Vegas and he turns out to be Dadonov caliber then they'd be almost there

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Is this the fastest thread to talk about a rebuild being done when we’re 2 months away from training camp to see if this team even is better?

Losing Zuccarello, Hayes, Vesey, Pionk should hurt but they are gaining more then they lost so it should be a better team. If lundqvist bounces back and they can get the Kakko we all think it most of think he will be I see no reason why they can’t get a wildcard but they just might have to push someone like the canes or islanders out and that could be tough. Division is wide open.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Is this the fastest thread to talk about a rebuild being done when we’re 2 months away from training camp to see if this team even is better?

Losing Zuccarello, Hayes, Vesey, Pionk should hurt but they are gaining more then they lost so it should be a better team. If lundqvist bounces back and they can get the Kakko we all think it most of think he will be I see no reason why they can’t get a wildcard but they just might have to push someone like the canes or islanders out and that could be tough. Division is wide open.
I think the general consensus is for Kakko to have stronger season than Hughes, but Hughes developing to be the "better" player.

Im guessing it will turn the other way; a guy that build his own practice rink sounds like a guy who genuinely loves hockey.

Rangers will probably suck pretty hard next season. They can't be defensively solid with so many new guys.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I think the general consensus is for Kakko to have stronger season than Hughes, but Hughes developing to be the "better" player.

Im guessing it will turn the other way; a guy that build his own practice rink sounds like a guy who genuinely loves hockey.

Rangers will probably suck pretty hard next season. They can't be defensively solid with so many new guys.

Well, they sure have the goalies that can balance that. If coached well that can also mask that too. Not saying you’re wrong but I like what the rangers have done. I just want to see them actually improve before we talk about how their rebuild is over. It looked like buffalos rebuild
Was over (or that it was almost time to climb) when we drafted Eichel, Reinhart, traded for leaner ROR, Robin Lehner, had ristolainen and evander Kane but they didn’t work, due to being inexperienced, immature, lack of chemistry and personal problems some guys have.

This is why Vancouver, Rangers and sure even the sabres again, just because you have great prospects doesent equal success right away. If even st all. It’s just projection until it happens. Look at all the oilers teams that were supposed to take off even coyotes were top
Three on hockey’s future website for years and years ..

Last edited:
Reactions: William Moneylander

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I think the Panarin contract will look awful in about 4 years, that is too much money tied in a winger and paying Trouba that much is also a mistake.

These are my opinions.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Toronto sent out a "long rebuild" letter in the 2015 offseason, placed last in 2015-2016, were back in the playoffs in 2016-2017, and have been contenders the last 2 years, placing 7th in the league.

Looking at the NYR roster, I doubt they jump straight to contender this year.

Contender for what? To win a round?

Panarin Zibanejad - Kaakko
Buchnevich - Chytil - Kravtsov
Kreider - Andersson - X
Lemieux - Nieves - Fast

Skjei - Trouba
X - DeAngelo
Hajek - Fox

Lundqvist
Shestyorkin
Georgiev

Top line and 4th line set
Middle 6 needs work but Chytil and Kravtsov should at the very least stick. Kreider probably moved on from, Buchman may not be the best fit long term, Andersson may not be top 9 caliber. Probably need at least one more impact player at least on Zibanejad's level

RD set LD probably needs work. Can use someone better than Skjei

Goaltending pretty set

Seems they're pretty close. If they can pry Gusev from Vegas and he turns out to be Dadonov caliber then they'd be almost there

It’s amazing to see someone post that lineup and say it’s so set. That’s a terrible lineup with several high profile names being rookies.

Their biggest issue is center. Zibs is prob better than I give him credit for, but he may be one of the worst top centers in the league and he has zero backup in that area. The leafs had a 30 goal guy as their 3C and rangers are saying their guy is a 1C and they need a 2C? No way, they need a 1C. And that’s not happening with no cap and no tank. I was happy when the rangers got Panarin. Meant their chance at being elite went to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->