Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
It was also an anomaly of a year for scoring and those other names mostly have done what Zibanejad hasnt in multiple seasons

So only Zibanejad was subject to the anomaly? The other players listed arent? Im not arguing that hes an elite #1 C, hes not. But to say hes not a #1 C is pretty rediculous in my opinion. He just put up a 74 point season as a 25 year old with a bad supporting cast.

Reactions: Kallio and Lays

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
So only Zibanejad was subject to the anomaly? The other players listed arent? Im not arguing that hes an elite #1 C, hes not. But to say hes not a #1 C is pretty rediculous in my opinion. He just put up a 74 point season as a 25 year old with a bad supporting cast.
No one on that list besides Aho has only broken 70 once and it was last year. So yes all those guys are far more proven

As for being a 1C I definitely didnt say Zibanejad isnt one. I think he is and thought NY won the deal back in... 2016? Anyway I think hes a 1C but I also need to se ehim keep it up for another season

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ill be curious how the goalie situation is. NYR has had the luxury over many years of not having any goalie stress ever. But right when I assume NYR will be ready to compete hopefully in a couple years, that luxury will be gone(or almost gone).

It is up in the air as of now how Georgiev/Shestyorkin will be. 1 or both need to get in alot of games this upcoming season with Hank slowly mentoring them. There are alot of teams that have always had good goalie situations and alot that just cant figure that aspect out. This is a massive season to see if 1(or both) are capable of that challenge. If one of them turn into another Hank, they are sittin pretty!!

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
the Rangers had a few advantages that other "rebuilding" teams didn't. They sold high on a lot of guys before they lost their value, unlike a lot of teams have done in the past, who held onto their guys too long. They also used their NYC draw to get guys that other teams wouldn't have been able to (Fox, Trouba, Panarin). They had 3 picks in the 1st round in 2018 and looks like they got 3 hits so far. And of course winning the 2nd overall pick in a draft that was considered to have 2 players a tier above everyone else. Also, I know its early, but Quinn looks like a smart hire to coach a team through a "tank" year, the team was drained of talent but still competed.

No they are not a contender yet, and still have holes. But I don't know If I can recall a team that was a playoff team the year before, battling for a playoff spot and the mgmt decided you know what, lets be honest with ourselves this team ain't winning shit, we need to start over. Ballsy move but the right one.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
the goal of a rebuild is to rebuild. They've done that.
And if they finish in the lottery again next season? Or worse a bottom 5/10 team? Adding talent isn’t the same as finishing a rebuild. A rebuild is being competitive again, which the Rangers haven’t proven yet. I mean the Oilers and Sabres have been adding top tier talents lately also but don’t seem any closer to finishing their rebuilds than they did a couple years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonballgtz

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
No one on that list besides Aho has only broken 70 once and it was last year. So yes all those guys are far more proven

As for being a 1C I definitely didnt say Zibanejad isnt one. I think he is and thought NY won the deal back in... 2016? Anyway I think hes a 1C but I also need to se ehim keep it up for another season

I mean technically Matthews, Eichel, Point have only hit 70 once. Not saying hes in their league but just pointing it out. The best player Zib has played with was who? Zuccarello? Kreider? Look at that list and think about who those players have had the opportunity to play with. I think Zib coul potentially blow up alongside Panarin

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Ill be curious how the goalie situation is. NYR has had the luxury over many years of not having any goalie stress ever. But right when I assume NYR will be ready to compete hopefully in a couple years, that luxury will be gone(or almost gone).

It is up in the air as of now how Georgiev/Shestyorkin will be. 1 or both need to get in alot of games this upcoming season with Hank slowly mentoring them. There are alot of teams that have always had good goalie situations and alot that just cant figure that aspect out. This is a massive season to see if 1(or both) are capable of that challenge. If one of them turn into another Hank, they are sittin pretty!!
Any confidence here should be a little bit inspired by Benoit Allaire. Lundqvist aside, the Rangers have done well with goaltenders since the lockout. Georgiev exceeded all expectations last year, and really was better than his traditional stats show. They used a relatively high pick on another goaltender in 2018 choosing Olof Lindbom, so they’ll have him baking over in Sweden as well. All wildcards for now, but there is a small safety net (if not a safety net, well, it’s a hardly dire situation).

At the end of the day, you only need one, and it’s the cheapest position to trade for. They’ve spent most of their draft picks from the last three drafts on defensemen and centers (11D / 7C not counting kids like Kakko and Kravtsov,) and I’m cool with that. Even in trades they’ve been loading up on D prospects like Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, DeAngelo, Fox. This is part of the reason I think they still need one more significant draft, they’ve only been drafting 2-3 positions during this entire rebuild. It’s funny to see people say they don’t have defensive depth in the pipeline... how many is enough? 30? 40? 100? :laugh:

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah 1st round exits don’t scream contender to me. Contender to make playoffs... absolutely, contender for cup...with that d....man lol
Round is irrelevant. They have faced the 1st, 4th, and 3rd best teams in the league over the last 3 playoffs in the 1st round, and were competitive in all of them despite multiple roadblocks. They are a cup contender.

They actually have a great group of D going into next year too. Stop living in the past.

you gotta win a playoff round to be classified as a contender no?
Nope.

nobody aside from Leaf fans see them getting out of the first round again for his upcoming year.
That's not true. Only some of HFBoards. HFboard's opinion on the Leafs has historically represented the opposite of the truth/result anyway.

I suppose my take on 'finished rebuilding' is when you can consistently compete for the Conference title, of which the Leafs have not done.
That is not at all what "finished rebuilding" means. Rebuilding is characterized as very specific things.

They'd already been racking up top picks before that Kessel trade. They were building off a team that had multiple top ten picks in their pool.
While, yes, Toronto had picked high a few times/started out with some good pieces, the same argument could be made for the NYR. OP signified the start of the rebuild for his team as the letter, and asked if other teams had had similar rebuilds, and I pointed to one.

Kessel trade and that letter really signified a shift in mindset and the start of trading away the core and pieces that made the team better, instead of just expiring pieces they didn't want back when they were out of it.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This is a baseless statement. They were 12th in goaltending WAR last year and Georgiev isn't gonna get worse at 23.
Oh ok their goaltending WAR is already good so their fine.....helped them have such a successful season last year right?

This is why people make fun of advanced stats. Tons of goalies get worse at 23 and any random age because goaltending is unpredictable and largely mental. Lundqvist is declining and unless he rebounds at age 37 the rangers will struggle.

Anyone with 0 concern over the Rangers goaltending situation is kidding themselves. It’s a major concern.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Its a little early to call the rebuild done. NY Rangers have a long way to go still.

But in recent terms, Colorado went from dead last 48 pts to legit contender in 2 years. More of a retool than rebuild though.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Anyone with 0 concern over the Rangers goaltending situation is kidding themselves. It’s a major concern.

Lundqvist, Georgiyev, Shestyorkin, Huska. They have three goalies that are good enough to be a 1B at the very least, including the best goalie prospect in the league. No, there's really no concern.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Lundqvist, Georgiyev, Shestyorkin, Huska. They have three goalies that are good enough to be a 1B at the very least, including the best goalie prospect in the league. No, there's really no concern.
Long term sure maybe. But for next season? Yeah there’s concern. Your fooling yourself if you think a .904 team save % and allowing over 270 goals is going to get close to the playoffs. Even with a step forward internally it’s not close. Those numbers don’t need to take a step they need to improve by leaps and bounds. It’s 100% fair and reasonable to have major doubts to expect that to happen with the same aging star and unproven back up.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Long term sure maybe. But for next season? Yeah there’s concern. Your fooling yourself if you think a .904 team save % and allowing over 270 goals is going to get close to the playoffs. Even with a step forward internally it’s not close. Those numbers don’t need to take a step they need to improve by leaps and bounds. It’s 100% fair and reasonable to have major doubts to expect that to happen with the same aging star and unproven back up.

If Lundqvist won't do it then Georgiyev (.914) or Shestyorkin (.953 in the KHL) will. They don't need to rely on any particular goalie.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Love what they have done in such a short amount of time however pump the brakes until they prove they can win games.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I feel the king has one left big fight in him. The blue shirts if anything should be fun to watch this year. Is quinn the right guy for the job? time will tell

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lol nobody said we were going to the playoffs. A Rangers fan didn't even start the thread.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
This is a baseless statement. They were 12th in goaltending WAR last year and Georgiev isn't gonna get worse at 23.
Any chance I could get a detailed NHL depth chart and a bit of info on your top prospects.
Full disclosure you guys look to have some solid pieces outside of the obvious ones but I am unfamiliar with many of your other youngsters.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If Lundqvist won't do it then Georgiyev (.914) or Shestyorkin (.953 in the KHL) will. They don't need to rely on any particular goalie.
Georgiev did alright in a back up role but development isn’t linear and there’s no guarantee he can maintain those numbers with a larger workload and there’s no guarantee the other Russian can even play as a back up at this level at least at this point. If you want to argue the team is set in net moving forward then sure I won’t disagree but for next season they do not have a proven solution in net and that’s just a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad