Are the Lightning the Golden State Warriors of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
One key step to being a sharp fan is realizing that what leads to regular season success and what leads to playoff success are not exactly the same thing.

Not saying at all the Lightning cant do it. Not at all. But they are not unchallengable or on some other level another team cant compete with.

Lighting up a different team every night is not the same as doing it to the same team every 2nd night. Especially when the other team is allowed to hook, hold and interfere twice as much.

I would argue that they are better prepared for the playoffs than they are the regular season. They have every ingredient you could possibly hope for. Not a team that is going let increased obstruction get in their way because the perimeter play of their star players gets shut down.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
The Warriors are the Warriors because they were an already great team landing a snake in FA after he choked against them in the playoffs. Haven't seen anything quite like that in the NHL yet, and I hope we never do

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The Warriors are the Warriors because they were an already great team landing a snake in FA after he choked against them in the playoffs. Haven't seen anything quite like that in the NHL yet, and I hope we never do

Hossa is the closest thing probably and that wasnt close to as bad

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Tampa’s last 20 games: 18-1-1. Superhuman performance. What’s even crazier is that for more than half of those games they only had one strong period and were asleep otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtlmonk

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I'm sure it's been stated in this thread numerous times but Tampa hasnt won championships like golden state and their about to enter cap hell soon. There hasnt been a team comparable to Golden State since the 80s Oilers/Islanders

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
TB hasn't won a cup during this run. And they're going to run into a cap problem very very soon.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Do they even try in the first period anymore? Do they need to? lol.

I would sleep through 2/3rds of a game if I knew the refs had my back too. Seriously though, their cap situation is gonna suck here shortly, this has to be the year they win a cup, the east is going to be a blood bath in the coming years.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Why sadly? Both have a really good chance to make the finals.

I was being sarcastic. Both teams get a lot of crap for not closing, but I remember too well of what it's like cheering for garbage teams. Both have provided good rides over the year.

Lightning aren't even comparable to the Raptors. Our lack of playoff success is completely overblown, we made the cup final in our second season with this group. We've gotten great performances from our stars in the playoffs. Definitely can't say the same thing about the Raptors.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
The Lightning were just as good in 2016 and didn't even come close to the Finals. So no.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Lightning were just as good in 2016 and didn't even come close to the Finals. So no.

? They weren't close to as good as they are right now. Whole different stratosphere.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Ok, so my "why is this a thread" comment was erased. Fine. I'll actually explain a little bit my reasoning them.

The Warriors, of course, have won three championships in the last four years, and were one win away from that being four straight. They're a juggernaut with the accolades to go with it. The Lightning have generally been very good in recent years, but their accolades amount to - losing a Final, blowing a 3-2 3rd round lead, blowing another 3-2 3rd round lead, and missing the playoffs entirely. In the time since Golden State became what they've become, the Penguins have won two Cups. If there's any Golden State equivalent in the NHL right now, it's them.

So this thread is one of a few things.

a) jinx (can't help but notice OP has a Jack Edwards avatar)
b) making a baseless and horrifically incomparable comparison
c) trying to round up people who don't like the Lightning to talk in all the ways how they don't like the Lightning and how the hype around them is bull until they actually win something

Whichever one of those it is, or combinations of which, this thread title has no basis in reality. Lets see them finally win it all before we go down this road. God knows that's what I'm rooting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad