Are the Lightning the Golden State Warriors of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
No because GSW actually won. Until Stamkos proves he is nothing more than the NHL's version of Carmelo Anthony (gaudy numbers in the regular season and skeleton in the postseason), it doesn't mean **** if they win 60 games a year.
Is he supposed to put up over a PPG in the playoffs every time they get in? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve some criticizim becuase he does but I think his playoff performances get blown out of proportion a bit. I mean he hasn't really played in the playoffs that many times.

Xoe0gFw.png

He's had to deal with so many injuries over the past few years that he hasn't played as much as people seem to think. Note that the 2016-17 season isn't there because that was the year where half the team was hurt and they missed the playoffs. He's only really had 2 runs with this current core.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
TBL is so good and so far ahead of all other teams. They’ll ego themselves out of the first round.
I don't think the players share the same mindset as some of their fans.
If they play hard and consistent and have good fortune they can certainly win it all though.

Reactions: Devonator

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think the players share the same mindset as some of their fans.
If they play hard and consistent and have good fortune they can certainly win it all though.
We saw it last year. After that hot first half they started sleepwalking through the rest of the season only to turn it around once the playoffs started. I expect to see something similar this season.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Just a brief reminder that these threads are NOT MADE BY TAMPA BAY FANS!!

1. In general, we fans do NOT think our team is a lock for the Stanley Cup. We know only too well how injuries, surging teams, hot/cold goaltending and bad puck luck can end a stellar team's playoff run early.
2. We do not necessarily WANT the fricking President's Trophy as those who've won it haven't done that well in the post-season.
3. We DID win a single Cup back in 2004.
4. We have suffered through absolutely horrid ownership before and after that Cup that makes Melnyk look like a genius so we can sympathize with those fans going through hell with their team's current ownership woes.

And lastly, we've seen our team dominate for a good stretch then get complacent and go on a slump of epic proportions so while we're trying our best to enjoy the epic run our team is on right now, we're mostly wary about what might be coming during this second half of the season. :P

Last edited by a moderator:

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Definitely. But will they let up at some point?
I always want to answer no to that despite sufficient historical evidence of a yes answer being the correct response. I think they've endured enough disappointment and understand the amount of offseason roster changes coming due that it shouldn't be a concern. At least not come the postseason and i wouldn't worry too much about easing off once the regular season achievements are all but locked up. If they were a less experienced team or had questionable leadership it could be more challenging to throttle back up but so many of their players pass the intensity test it shouldn't be a problem.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
We saw it last year. After that hot first half they started sleepwalking through the rest of the season only to turn it around once the playoffs started. I expect to see something similar this season.
And they'll have the same result as last season.

This whole "switch" garbage that Tampa fans buy into for some unknown reason is ridiculous. They sure forgot to hit it when the ECF rolled around.

Tampa will not sustain their tempo throughout the rest of the season, I have no illusions of that at all, but if they repeat last season and Mr. Magoo their way through the back half of the season it will not be good.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
And they'll have the same result as last season.

This whole "switch" garbage that Tampa fans buy into for some unknown reason is ridiculous. They sure forgot to hit it when the ECF rolled around.

Tampa will not sustain their tempo throughout the rest of the season, I have no illusions of that at all, but if they repeat last season and Mr. Magoo their way through the back half of the season it will not be good.
They easily made their way through both New Jersey and Boston and just ran into a better team in the ECF. The regular season meant nothing that series. We saw it in the first two rounds that they did indeed "flip the switch". Had they played those series the same way they played in the second half of last season, NJ would've probably beaten us.

Reactions: Hint1k

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
They easily made their way through both New Jersey and Boston and just ran into a better team in the ECF. The regular season meant nothing that series. We saw it in the first two rounds that they did indeed "flip the switch". Had they played those series the same way they played in the second half of last season, NJ would've probably beaten us.
Well good luck with that. Hope they remember to flip it when it matters this season, since they've failed to do so the last two trips to the ECF

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
I’ve been making that argument for a long time now and people still don’t get it. You are absolutely correct: it is a far superior approach to maintain a top contender for an extended period of time than to shorten your window for a slightly greater chance in a single year. “Going all in” only makes sense for teams whose window is about to slam shut on them.

The concept of going all in is flawed from the get go. For a team mid window, sure adding UFA's or good players near the end of their contract at the cost of mid-tier and some later picks can be ok, especially as it seems deadline prices have fallen a little in recent years, but in general the salary cap almost demands the opposite.

If you have good players that you need to move out for cap purposes, moving on from them, and making some tough decisions can actually help extend your window. Washington wasn't afraid to move on from Semin and Green, Pittsburgh traded away Staal and Fleury, even Tampa moved Bishop not long after a vezina, and these types of decisions actually helped enhance the overall liklihood of winning a cup, and were key pieces of the puzzle for Pittsburgh's and Washington's recent success.

The new NHL is about identifying your real core, making tough decisions on players outside that group that are good but not vital, and not being afraid of taking a step back if it gives you more chances. Sometimes, it comes down to deciding you want one more crack at it with a team that has an 18% chance or do you want to make some smart decisions that gives you 3-4 more years with a team that has say a 14% odds each year.

It's unfortunate that media will usually need things to talk about in the here and now, so any team that makes a conscious decision that they are Ok with being a little less competitive now in order to extend their overall window with their core gets talked about in taking a step back, but it's the best path to a win.

Tampa will face tough decisions, and there is a very good chance that they will not be as good a team next year if they lose the luxury of being able to put a player with the talent of Yanni Gourde playing on your 3rd line, but it won't turn them into a weak team, and they will get assets that they can use to restock and retool.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
No. But it's not going to stop people from drawing comparisons anyway.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
When star players start taking big pay cuts to stack one team to be a cup winner, then I'll call that team a GSW like team. Closest we've come in recent memory was the Avs when Kariya signed for peanuts to join Selanne, Sakic, and Forsberg and they didn't even win the cup.

That year Kariya got injured and missed a lot of games. Selanne played injured all season long and it was b4 his surgery that completely changed the guy and rejuvenated his career and The Avs had Tony Granato as a coach :facepalm:... the perect shit storm

Reactions: HanSolo

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is he supposed to put up over a PPG in the playoffs every time they get in? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve some criticizim becuase he does but I think his playoff performances get blown out of proportion a bit. I mean he hasn't really played in the playoffs that many times.

Xoe0gFw.png

He's had to deal with so many injuries over the past few years that he hasn't played as much as people seem to think. Note that the 2016-17 season isn't there because that was the year where half the team was hurt and they missed the playoffs. He's only really had 2 runs with this current core.

I think the playoff criticism is 100% warranted. He's rarely one of our best 5 players in the playoffs, and that's unacceptable. That said, given the way he's playing right now, I have high hopes for this season. If Stamkos plays like a legit 1C in the playoffs, we're going to be hard to beat. But that's something we haven't had in a while.

The concept of going all in is flawed from the get go. For a team mid window, sure adding UFA's or good players near the end of their contract at the cost of mid-tier and some later picks can be ok, especially as it seems deadline prices have fallen a little in recent years, but in general the salary cap almost demands the opposite.

If you have good players that you need to move out for cap purposes, moving on from them, and making some tough decisions can actually help extend your window. Washington wasn't afraid to move on from Semin and Green, Pittsburgh traded away Staal and Fleury, even Tampa moved Bishop not long after a vezina, and these types of decisions actually helped enhance the overall liklihood of winning a cup, and were key pieces of the puzzle for Pittsburgh's and Washington's recent success.

The new NHL is about identifying your real core, making tough decisions on players outside that group that are good but not vital, and not being afraid of taking a step back if it gives you more chances. Sometimes, it comes down to deciding you want one more crack at it with a team that has an 18% chance or do you want to make some smart decisions that gives you 3-4 more years with a team that has say a 14% odds each year.

It's unfortunate that media will usually need things to talk about in the here and now, so any team that makes a conscious decision that they are Ok with being a little less competitive now in order to extend their overall window with their core gets talked about in taking a step back, but it's the best path to a win.

Tampa will face tough decisions, and there is a very good chance that they will not be as good a team next year if they lose the luxury of being able to put a player with the talent of Yanni Gourde playing on your 3rd line, but it won't turn them into a weak team, and they will get assets that they can use to restock and retool.

I think the players who replace our outgoing players will surprise people. Eric Cernak, for instance, was scheduled to be one of those replacement players. He simply jumped the line and turned out to be already better than the guy he's expected to replace.

I don't think there'll be a significant step backward next year. We have enough young players primed for steps forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think the playoff criticism is 100% warranted. He's rarely one of our best 5 players in the playoffs, and that's unacceptable. That said, given the way he's playing right now, I have high hopes for this season. If Stamkos plays like a legit 1C in the playoffs, we're going to be hard to beat. But that's something we haven't had in a while.

I remember that 2011 season very well. Stamkos had 45 goals in the regular season and then became a total passenger. Honestly though, what I am most excited about is his faceoff prowess this year, even if the offense dries up if he's out there crushing people and winning faceoffs he'll be worth his weight.

Fun fact, Stamkos ended his rookie year with 23 goals and 23 assists, which are his exact stats at the midway point this year.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
This is the type of team that if they win it once, they might be winning a few more. They have that Detroit feel to them of the mid 90's, at least to me. All the pieces are there, contracts look good, core looks good. Room to add at the deadline? improve in the off season. A real scary team. They just need to win once, then look out!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This is the type of team that if they win it once, they might be winning a few more. They have that Detroit feel to them of the mid 90's, at least to me. All the pieces are there, contracts look good, core looks good. Room to add at the deadline? improve in the off season. A real scary team. They just need to win once, then look out!
There's a cap now though. Detroit had no cap and a free-spending rich owner. Tampa already is in cap trouble without a cup and their GM has left. Detroit could just keeping adding and adding and keep whoever they wanted.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Just curious, what were the Warriors known as before the 2014-15 season? Based on this thread they only became the Golden State Warriors after winning.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
One key step to being a sharp fan is realizing that what leads to regular season success and what leads to playoff success are not exactly the same thing.

Not saying at all the Lightning cant do it. Not at all. But they are not unchallengable or on some other level another team cant compete with.

Lighting up a different team every night is not the same as doing it to the same team every 2nd night. Especially when the other team is allowed to hook, hold and interfere twice as much.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
One key step to being a sharp fan is realizing that what leads to regular season success and what leads to playoff success are not exactly the same thing.

Not saying at all the Lightning cant do it. Not at all. But they are not unchallengable or on some other level another team cant compete with.

Lighting up a different team every night is not the same as doing it to the same team every 2nd night. Especially when the other team is allowed to hook, hold and interfere twice as much.

I also forgot to add that basketball is a individual sport compared to hockey. Teams have their big 3 in hockey as well. But then there is the rest of the team that plays the other 2/3 of the game. In basketball the stars can play almost the whole game if they need to lol

And the goalie that has more impact on a single game basis than any one skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad