Line Combos: Are the Leafs set up the middle for the future?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Yes, we're set.

I don't understand you people who want to move Nylander to the wing. I can't even rationally deconstruct that idea. It's just stupid.

It's just like the people who want to trade the Matthews pick. Either just trying to stand out or haven't followed the leafs over the last half of the year

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yes, we're set.

I don't understand you people who want to move Nylander to the wing. I can't even rationally deconstruct that idea. It's just stupid.

Agreed. Sure, overload your lines if you need a goal or on the PP, but when 5 on 5, he plays a strong game down the middle.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I agree that making sure we have pieces that can play center in case of injuries is low priority, I was just stating that it's the final thing left before we are absolutely set in terms of centers. Other than development, of course.

Nylander will be moved to the wing. Babcock even said he wanted to do that but was thin at center. It's cool that he can play center, but he only will if Kadri gets booted from draws. Still, a line of JVR, Matthews and Nylander will be amazing, and Kadri, Komarov and Marner will also be great. There is also the possibility of Kadri moving to the wing, but I doubt it with the strides he made this past season.

No, what Babcock said is that he likes to start rookies off on the wing so they can ease into things without as much responsibility.

Nylander has already eased into the league at center, so that statement really has no bearing at all on him anymore. Nylander is a center, and will be a center.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's funny how the moment Leafs won the draft, Willie is no longer a good Center, and he should be a winger....yet, he was playing with 4th liners and still average about 0.6 pts/game while winning Faceoffs and being responsible on D.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Nylander will be moved to the wing. Babcock even said he wanted to do that but was thin at center. It's cool that he can play center, but he only will if Kadri gets booted from draws. Still, a line of JVR, Matthews and Nylander will be amazing, and Kadri, Komarov and Marner will also be great. There is also the possibility of Kadri moving to the wing, but I doubt it with the strides he made this past season.

Thats not what Babs said. He said that he likes to start his rookie centers on the wall first until they prove themselves. Then again Babcock has never had rookies centers like Nylander and Matthews.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Subtracting Bozak and taking a look into the future of the Leafs, we actually look nice:

Matthews 6'2.5
Nylander 6'0
Kadri 6'0
Gauthier 6'5

Pretty damned nice.

What do you guys think? Happy about this as our top 4 centres in the next few years?

It's one possibility . . . and I'd probably be very happy about that, but it's too early to say how Nylander develops as a centre, and how exactly good Matthews (when we actually draft him) will be.

But I would much rather prefer going into this season with a team full of promising, talented rookies, with Stamkos at the helm. That would 100% put my mind at ease.

Then it's next couple of years of

Stamkos - Nylander on wing
Kadri - Marner on wing
Matthews
Gauthier or whoever

And then that transitions to (hopefully)

Matthews - Stamkos and Marner on wing
Nylander - Brown on wing
Kadri
(whoever is on the 4th line doesn't matter, because we're awesome)

But I really think there's a lot of combinations even without Stamkos. But I feel he'd be an enormous and great influence on our young centres and young centre/wingers . . . only having Kadri as our "elder statesman" isn't ideal, IMHO. And I am sure that if we don't get Stamkos, Lou addresses that for sure.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I agree that making sure we have pieces that can play center in case of injuries is low priority, I was just stating that it's the final thing left before we are absolutely set in terms of centers. Other than development, of course.

No, what Babcock said is that he likes to start rookies off on the wing so they can ease into things without as much responsibility.

Nylander has already eased into the league at center, so that statement really has no bearing at all on him anymore. Nylander is a center, and will be a center.

I agree, severely doubt Nylander ends up a winger. Without trying to start a debate with people, I would say Kadri has better attributes to be a winger if necessary. He would be really something on the forecheck down the wing and is good at creating off the wall.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
It's funny how the moment Leafs won the draft, Willie is no longer a good Center, and he should be a winger....yet, he was playing with 4th liners and still average about 0.6 pts/game while winning Faceoffs and being responsible on D.

lol I know eh! The way I'm looking at it if Matthews ends up being better than Nylander we will have a dynasty!

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
It's one possibility . . . and I'd probably be very happy about that, but it's too early to say how Nylander develops as a centre, and how exactly good Matthews (when we actually draft him) will be.

But I would much rather prefer going into this season with a team full of promising, talented rookies, with Stamkos at the helm. That would 100% put my mind at ease.

Then it's next couple of years of

Stamkos - Nylander on wing
Kadri - Marner on wing
Matthews
Gauthier or whoever

And then that transitions to (hopefully)

Matthews - Stamkos and Marner on wing
Nylander - Brown on wing
Kadri
(whoever is on the 4th line doesn't matter, because we're awesome)

But I really think there's a lot of combinations even without Stamkos. But I feel he'd be an enormous and great influence on our young centres and young centre/wingers . . . only having Kadri as our "elder statesman" isn't ideal, IMHO. And I am sure that if we don't get Stamkos, Lou addresses that for sure.

JVR, Bozak etc. We have more than just Kadri as a vet.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
I agree, severely doubt Nylander ends up a winger. Without trying to start a debate with people, I would say Kadri has better attributes to be a winger if necessary. He would be really something on the forecheck down the wing and is good at creating off the wall.

I can see this too.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Personally, Kadri must be feeling great that he didn't drag on about resigning, or he might be looking at a new team.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Give Kadri/Laich PK duties and Kadri #2 PP while giving Matthews and Nylander #1 PP...

Kadri - 18 mins
Matthews - 17 mins
Nylander - 17 mins
Laich/4C - 8 mins

Pretty balanced three-line attack that most teams strive for. Once Nylander and Matthews develop (if they do) we can move Kadri to the wing and he still has a good deal for a 2nd line winger.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
JVR, Bozak etc. We have more than just Kadri as a vet.

JVR isn't the "veteran pro leader" type.

I expect Bozak is not part of the Leafs future, either gone this summer or by the trade deadline I think (which is why I didn't include him in my centre projections, you may have noticed).

Anybody else? Rielly?

Yeah, that's why I want Stammer.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Personally, Kadri must be feeling great that he didn't drag on about resigning, or he might be looking at a new team.

Have a feeling the draft lottery timing had something to do with it . . . and certainly, the Leafs management would have contacted and set that up with his agent so that they knew the schedule, and obviously agreed to it.

But yeah, all arrows lead to Bozak exiting stage left pretty soon. But we'll see!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Have a feeling the draft lottery timing had something to do with it . . . and certainly, the Leafs management would have contacted and set that up with his agent so that they knew the schedule, and obviously agreed to it.

But yeah, all arrows lead to Bozak exiting stage left pretty soon. But we'll see!

Even if Leafs signs Stamkos, I can actually see them holding on to Bozak till the TDL. Afterall, the Leafs is not in a hurry to dump salary for the next two yrs.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
How do people not understand what babcock said? It was pretty clear. He wanted Nylander to start on the wing as there are less responsibilities. Unfortunately injuries forced his hand, Willy played C, and he excelled. He's a centre and a potential number 1

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
JVR isn't the "veteran pro leader" type.

I expect Bozak is not part of the Leafs future, either gone this summer or by the trade deadline I think (which is why I didn't include him in my centre projections, you may have noticed).

Anybody else? Rielly?

Yeah, that's why I want Stammer.

Who was the veteran pro leader for Toews and Kane again?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What the hell is a "veteran pro leader" anyway? Nobody here would have the slightest clue of what that is.

It sounds COMPLETELY made up.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
What the hell is a "veteran pro leader" anyway? Nobody here would have the slightest clue of what that is.

It sounds COMPLETELY made up.

And what's wrong with guys like Laich as leaders?

Sure we'll need another big name before we contend, but we have enough veterans to lead the way here.

There's still a year of growing pains to be had as Marner and Matthews break in with all those Marlies over the next 12 months.

I have no issues with guys like JVR and Laich and Hunwick to be the leaders showing the way.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Largely inexperienced (NHL wise) group, but one that projects well. I'm definitely optimistic.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Who was the veteran pro leader for Toews and Kane again?

First year Toews came up with Robert Lang and Patrick Sharp and Martin Havlat

Second year Lang moved on and Toews had Sharp and Havlat and Campbell and Keith

I'm not saying we need vets, but if you look back at successful teams I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team that was all players under the age of 25 haha

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
First year Toews came up with Robert Lang and Patrick Sharp and Martin Havlat

Second year Lang moved on and Toews had Sharp and Havlat and Campbell and Keith

I'm not saying we need vets, but if you look back at successful teams I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team that was all players under the age of 25 haha

He wasn't the same player at the time. They rolled the dice on him coming from the Flyers.

Either way though, guys raise your heads up! Have some pride! Don't doubt what we have going on here.

We have a ridiculous 1-2 punch coming with Matthews and Nylander! Don't try to belittle them or try to find flaws. Appreciate what we have!

Back end and goalie are a work in progress, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
He wasn't the same player at the time. They rolled the dice on him coming from the Flyers.

Either way though, guys raise your heads up! Have some pride! Don't doubt what we have going on here.

We have a ridiculous 1-2 punch coming with Matthews and Nylander! Don't try to belittle them or try to find flaws. Appreciate what we have!

Back end and goalie are a work in progress, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Wow...here's the crazy part of how far we've come in 2 years...

To many the 1-2 punch coming is Matthews and Marner.

Appreciate it indeed.

Special things are brewing here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad