Line Combos: Are the Leafs set up the middle for the future?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Subtracting Bozak and taking a look into the future of the Leafs, we actually look nice:

Matthews 6'2.5
Nylander 6'0
Kadri 6'0
Gauthier 6'5

Pretty damned nice.

What do you guys think? Happy about this as our top 4 centres in the next few years?

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Absolutely! I'm not sold on Nylander being a centre just quite yet. But with Mathews as a start and the others you named plus future draft picks, I think we can now focus on D.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Absolutely! I'm not sold on Nylander being a centre just quite yet. But with Mathews as a start and the others you named plus future draft picks, I think we can now focus on D.

Pens 1st round pick, or move up with other assets I'd be down.

Nylander is definitely a centre. Good CORSI, good faceoffs, and put up good numbers with less then stellar linemates. Another summer of training, should be a beauty.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Normally I don't like to say stuff like that as so much can happen during development, but I feel very comfortable with Matthews and Nylander as a top duo. Kadri is pretty much the ideal third center, and Gauthier is trending towards the ideal fourth center.

What is lacking in that picture is replacements. Hopefully Marner be one of those players who can do spot duty at center in case of injuries.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Normally I don't like to say stuff like that as so much can happen during development, but I feel very comfortable with Matthews and Nylander as a top duo. Kadri is pretty much the ideal third center, and Gauthier is trending towards the ideal fourth center.

What is lacking in that picture is replacements. Hopefully Marner be one of those players who can do spot duty at center in case of injuries.

I'd say that is reasonable.

We don't stop drafting centres of course either :)

Worst case you can always switch some to wing as well.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa

For that you get players like Holland who can slot in at the wing if you have to. I imagine that those replacements will be drafted and groomed slowly in the next coming years. IMO this is the least of our worries at the moment. We need to focus on actually getting good players - their replacements are 4-5 years down the road.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Once Stamkos is signed, yes.

Expensive luxury imo.

Money that would be used there is better utilized strengthening the depth of the line up, upgrading defense, and goaltending.

We'll need to sign Matthews after 3 years to a big expensive extension. Plus there is Nylander and Marner to consider as well. JVR?

I just don't think Stamkos is worth it now, it creates too many other complications.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Expensive luxury imo.

Money that would be used there is better utilized strengthening the depth of the line up, upgrading defense, and goaltending.

We'll need to sign Matthews after 3 years to a big expensive extension. Plus there is Nylander and Marner to consider as well. JVR?

I just don't think Stamkos is worth it now, it creates too many other complications.

I see the argument, really I do. My opinion is that we shouldn't "break the bank" to sign him ($10m+) but if he will come here for less, we should absolutely do it.

RLF

May 5, 2014

Yes, it is as good as it has been in years. Not too worried about the depth to cover injuries...unless 2 of the top 3 go down and I doubt any team really has the depth to cover for that kind of loss.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Expensive luxury imo.

I'm leaning heavily in this direction after the lottery win. That money could be spent on stud defence and stud goaltending in the near future.

The centre depth as you show it looks pretty darn good! I don't see any issues with how Nylander performed at centre.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I see the argument, really I do. My opinion is that we shouldn't "break the bank" to sign him ($10m+) but if he will come here for less, we should absolutely do it.

I personally don't see it, but I guess we'll find out.

Still over the damned moon about Matthews. A franchise centre that we will actually draft...

I'm leaning heavily in this direction after the lottery win. That money good be spent on stud defence and stud goaltending in the near future.

The centre depth as you show it looks pretty darn good! I don't see any issues with how Nylander performed at centre.

Plus it's not like Nylander is just going to be what we saw. He'll have another summer of working out, and he'll get better with age of course (in theory).

So much to be excited for. We have that 1-2 punch down the middle but our 3 and 4 centres are damned good in their own right.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Expensive luxury imo.

I agree. If the rebuild goes as planned (draft Matthews) then Stamkos, for what he would demand in term and money, makes less and less sense.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
why is everyone saying Nylander isn't a center?

Sweedish Elite- Center
WJC- Center
AHL- first year (halfway through the year) winger
AHL- Second year- Center (#1 in scoring)

Dont know why everyone is saying he is a winger

Matthews-Nylander-Kadri- Gauthier

thats ridiculous,

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Let's how they fare at the NHL level, but yeah, we look pretty set at C.

Next up is building up a stock of young, talented defencemen, and a goaltender or two. :D

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I might put it another way: I'm not sold 100% on center being the best position for Nylander. Still, Nylander is a better center than Kadri at the same age. I'm pretty optimistic that we've got ourselves a future above average 2nd line center in Nylander and a far above average 3rd line center in Kadri. It's really looking like the rough template of a strong future team.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's shaping up very good. People were screaming for depth down the middle and now, it's starting to become a pretty big threat.

Nylander and Matthews could be legit top line centers on this same team for a really long time.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
1A - Matthews (Crosby Lite)
1B - Nylander (Malkin Lite)
3C - Kadri (Jordan Staal)

That's how the Penguins won a cup.

Teams dream about this Center depth.

Lion15

Apr 18, 2015
Kawartha Lakes
Subtracting Bozak and taking a look into the future of the Leafs, we actually look nice:

Matthews 6'2.5
Nylander 6'0
Kadri 6'0
Gauthier 6'5

Pretty damned nice.

What do you guys think? Happy about this as our top 4 centres in the next few years?

Yes, very happy.

I think Nylander has shown a floor of a #2C and the ceiling of #1C has yet to be determined. If we're really lucky its a 1A and 1B situation with Matthews and Nylander.

Kadri will still be drawing the #1C next year until Matthews/ Nylander pass him. I agree with your slotting in 1-4, but there's going to be some jockeying over the next season or two and how that is perceived.

Goat is goat and I'm quite content. I'm sure he's pumped that he's not going to be relied on to put up points.

All in all this is a huge step in the right direction.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Nylander will be moved to the wing. Babcock even said he wanted to do that but was thin at center. It's cool that he can play center, but he only will if Kadri gets booted from draws. Still, a line of JVR, Matthews and Nylander will be amazing, and Kadri, Komarov and Marner will also be great. There is also the possibility of Kadri moving to the wing, but I doubt it with the strides he made this past season.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
We are so set.

After all those years of Bozak at 1C and being the joke of the league, we finally have two players that could become number one centres.

No way Nylander moves to the wing when he's looked so good at every level as a center.

Matthews/Nylander/Kadri/Gauthier down the middle with insane depth on the wings in JVR, Marner, Brown, Soshnikov, Komarov, Hyman, Kapanen, Leivo, Leipsic, etc.

Oops forgot Johnson and Vesey too...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Babcock runs a fairly even lineup 5 on 5. You guys are crazy if you think Nylander has to shift to the wing just because we all ready have Kadri and very likely Matthews.

Babcock said he wanted to start Nylander as a winger when he came up but that obviously changed when Nylander was his best centre for the last couple weeks. He played him a lot in that span and Nylander responded very well to the challenge. He wasn't perfect but definitely wasn't bad either.

Fully expect the top 3 lines to feature Nylander, Kadri and Matthews with a balance of wingers next to them. Perhaps one of them shifts to the wing if the group is completely healthy and Bozak is still kicking around, but that doesn't change the fact that this group will not be "top 6 bottom 6" Burke style mentality. You can have a very skilled player as a 'third line' centre or even *gasp* on the 'fourth' line.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yes, we're set.

I don't understand you people who want to move Nylander to the wing. I can't even rationally deconstruct that idea. It's just stupid. Why on earth would we do that? To make room for Bozak?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad