TV: Are the knives out for Jimmy Fallon?

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Wow, people really don’t like Jimmy Fallon around here. I don’t think he’s a comedic genius or anything, but as a talk show host he doesn’t stand out as being notably worse than the others.
Him and Corden are easily the worst I've ever seen unless we count morning or daytime talk show hosts. I couldn't stand Fallon on SNL either. Always thought he seemed like a decent guy but these allegations may change that.

Dec 29, 2004
I don’t buy it. If a service stops putting out new stuff, subscriptions will drop.
Yeah, but the real money isn't in streaming.. it's in owning the rights. The media catalog is the asset, not the delivery system. A studio could change their business model from hosting back to leasing or even periodically selling assets (like the music industry). Granted their cut becomes smaller, but then again they shed a lot of over-head while maintaining a hefty profit.

Reactions: Voight

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I don’t buy it. If a service stops putting out new stuff, subscriptions will drop.
Between Netflix, Amazon, Apple, and Paramount just to name a few. There is SO much content that has been released in the past 5 years no one has watched all of it. God knows I haven't. I just discovered Blue Bloods 6 months ago. It's been on for 10 years.

Reactions: Voight

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Between Netflix, Amazon, Apple, and Paramount just to name a few. There is SO much content that has been released in the past 5 years no one has watched all of it. God knows I haven't. I just discovered Blue Bloods 6 months ago. It's been on for 10 years.
Sure, but if just having old content was enough to maintain subscriptions, why has every service constantly worked to churn out new content? They know new content drives subscriptions.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That's the case when there's competition for new content. Take that away and things change. When none of them can make new content, thanks to the strike, that stops being a factor. If you think of dropping Netflix because it has no new content, what are your alternatives? Amazon, Apple, HBO and Paramount are in the same boat, as are the network stations. I'm not sure that subscriptions will drop in the upcoming year because people still need their entertainment and have become reliant on the streaming services for it. If they can't watch a new show, they'll just watch an older show. I, personally, am looking forward to catching up on a lot of shows that I haven't had the time to watch because there have been too many new shows to watch.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I just started watching Mad Men!

And the Americans a couple of months ago.

Great shows. Can't believe I missed them first time around. Especially Mad Men where you couldn't really escape it in the early 2010s.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
wait-what?

do people actually still watch late night talks shows? would it be really an actual huge loss if fallon, meyers, corden, colbert and all the rest suddenly vanished from the airwaves?

I've always hated this argument/comment. YES, people do actually watch the shows. If they didn't, they wouldn't have ratings, wouldn't bring in ad revenue, etc. Just because you might not watch/like it doesn't mean everyone else is just like you. Not sure why people feel the need to actually comment this stuff in threads that obviously aren't directed at them as the target audience.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
I've always hated this argument/comment. YES, people do actually watch the shows. If they didn't, they wouldn't have ratings, wouldn't bring in ad revenue, etc. Just because you might not watch/like it doesn't mean everyone else is just like you. Not sure why people feel the need to actually comment this stuff in threads that obviously aren't directed at them as the target audience.
well then that's too bad that you feel that way.

i actually liked fallon in the very beginning. then after a while say a month or two the appeal just vanished.

corden's karaoke car pool was pretty cool.

for a year or two the last late night talk show that really made me laugh hard was craig killborn.

nbc letterman and conan was the shit!!!

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
well then that's too bad that you feel that way.

i actually liked fallon in the very beginning. then after a while say a month or two the appeal just vanished.

corden's karaoke car pool was pretty cool.

for a year or two the last late night talk show that really made me laugh hard was craig killborn.

nbc letterman and conan was the shit!!!

Cool story. I don't watch late night, I was just merely making the comment in response to what you, and many others typically make. "SNL is still a thing? How can people watch that, it's not funny", Simpsons, etc.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It feels like every now and again we get a thread of people figuring out that Jim Fallon isn’t funny

Reactions: Stylizer1
Sep 19, 2008
Wow, people really don’t like Jimmy Fallon around here. I don’t think he’s a comedic genius or anything, but as a talk show host he doesn’t stand out as being notably worse than the others.
he was markedly worse than others. He made Jay Leno look hilarious.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Speaking of bad late night, youtube recommended me a video of a segment from Seth Meyers's show last night where he brought in a black lady and a lesbian from his writing staff to tell quasi-stereotypical jokes about their social groups, and it was honestly one of the least funny things I've ever seen. The segment bombed hard with the audience, but NBC promoted it on their YouTube channel anyway so I can only imagine how bad the rest of the program is.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Conan was my favourite overall, but for interviews, Craig furgeson was great too. He was very quick witted.

Whether it's actually the case or not, fallon just seems very plastic to me.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Late night tv is so dumb anyways people are inundated with jokes and shit all day. Its kinda sad to see a staple like that die but it is what it is.

Sep 19, 2008

Roy Wood Jr was a great successor candidate so f*** Comedy Central. Hassan wasn't even funny, nor is Noah. They don't know a good host anymore since Stewart left

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Roy Wood Jr was a great successor candidate so f*** Comedy Central. Hassan wasn't even funny, nor is Noah. They don't know a good host anymore since Stewart left

Jon "Stewart" Leibowitz's whole schtick was smearing Israel. Got old fast and it wouldn't take take long for him to get cancelled nowadays.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Late night talk shows always sucked, and were cherished because there were only 3 tv channels and no internet media options. They will all inevitably die or become openly advertising (for whatever product the guest are on to hawk).

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Conan was my favourite overall, but for interviews, Craig furgeson was great too. He was very quick witted.

Whether it's actually the case or not, fallon just seems very plastic to me.
So the case could be made that he is, in fact, actually plastic?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad