TV: Are the knives out for Jimmy Fallon?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

There have been a lot of reports about his antics and behaviour previously. New York normal papers reported on his heavy drinking and causing trouble out in public in the Hamptons.

CBS solved their problem by turfing the Brit due to problems he was causing.

I know publicly NBC supported Fallon the last time these reports came out. But these are fresh allegations and the tonight show is bigger than the host.

There were reports that NBC wanted to move the show back LA but Fallon has NYC in his contract.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He just apologized to staff in a Zoom.

Full damage control mode now.

Will he get Ellen'ed out of existence? Unsure.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Fallon has never been remotely funny to me and I've never understood the appeal either.

I think he's talented in terms of his musical ability and impressions, and he has that sort of that goofy "friend of the guest" vibe that might set them at ease.

I'd agree that I don't think he has the creative comedic chops of a lot of the other hosts.

wait-what?

do people actually still watch late night talks shows? would it be really an actual huge loss if fallon, meyers, corden, colbert and all the rest suddenly vanished from the airwaves?

Stephen Colbert was my hero back when he was still doing the Colbert Report.

I understand why he had to give it up, but that character was pure genius.

Obviously Jon Stewart was a huge inspiration on him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
"We don't need these bears in our schools spreading their radical bear agenda."

One of my favourite interviews involving Colbert back when he was with the Daily Show, was with a poor woman in Florida where the city was going to cut down her diseased orange trees.

"They come to my house. They come to take my trees. They come to take my juize."

"What do the Jews have to do with this?"

"What?"

"You were saying something about the Jews?"

LOL.

Reactions: Jovavic

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
One of my favourite interviews involving Colbert back when he was with the Daily Show, was with a poor woman in Florida where the city was going to cut down her diseased orange trees.

"They come to my house. They come to take my trees. They come to take my juize."

"What do the Jews have to do with this?"

"What?"

"You were saying something about the Jews?"

LOL.
he had a great one around maybe 2002 or so where he did a piece on banning smoking. He interviewed this anti-smoking activist with the question "Why should smoking in public be banned?" The guy says "Why should masturbating in public be banned?"

Colbert says "I ask myself that every day." He then interviews some random joe and asked him whether Hitler smoked. The guy said no.

Colbert goes back to the anti-smoking activist and asks them "sir, in what way are you not Hitler?"

"That's the dumbest question I've ever heard and I won't answer it," is his response.

Without missing a beat Colbert says "Let's go back to talking about masturbation."

I think that was the hardest I've ever laughed at any joke on the Daily Show.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
My biggest Fallon complaint is that he is probably the biggest driver of the whole "watch this celebrity play a game" trend of entertainment. He didn't originate it, but he is one of if not the most prominent people to popularize it.

I don't often get uptight about celebrity shit, but there's something about celebrity games/karaoke/lip syncing, etc. that's always been super off-putting if not downright stupid to me. It's always pitched and embraced as a "they're just like us" type normalization. Ha ha, they can't really sing or dance or they're bad at beer pong too ... just like me! Or if they're good at those things it's a "Wow that person has additional, unexpected talents!!" But it always reads creepy and fake (and needy) to me. They are actors and performers, after all.

I try not to be a snob about what people like (and this shit was at one point VERY popular), but this type of garbage could disappear from the earth tomorrow and we wouldn't lose a thing.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
wait-what?

do people actually still watch late night talks shows? would it be really an actual huge loss if fallon, meyers, corden, colbert and all the rest suddenly vanished from the airwaves?
I don't know if it counts, but I watched Colbert and Meyers monologues daily on YT.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My biggest Fallon complaint is that he is probably the biggest driver of the whole "watch this celebrity play a game" trend of entertainment. He didn't originate it, but he is one of if not the most prominent people to popularize it.

I don't often get uptight about celebrity shit, but there's something about celebrity games/karaoke/lip syncing, etc. that's always been super off-putting if not downright stupid to me. It's always pitched and embraced as a "they're just like us" type normalization. Ha ha, they can't really sing or dance or they're bad at beer pong too ... just like me! Or if they're good at those things it's a "Wow that person has additional, unexpected talents!!" But it always reads creepy and fake (and needy) to me. They are actors and performers, after all.

I try not to be a snob about what people like (and this shit was at one point VERY popular), but this type of garbage could disappear from the earth tomorrow and we wouldn't lose a thing.

It’s more of a revival.

Match Game, Password, Hollywood Squares, celebrities were doing games for years.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

In the same vein, I hate the basic ass 'I'm so quirky and weird!' types ala Jennifer Lawrence.

It just strikes me as so faux or at the very least, a massive playing up of an existing trait.

From my experience, anyone who is genuinely weird a) doesn't realize it, b) doesn't really want to be.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
@KallioWeHardlyKnewYe I'm right there with you man. To each their own and if someone is entertained by Late Night shows then all power to them. I think it's a bunch of celebrities trying to be cute on TV so they stay relevant or promote their shows/movies/whatever. Seems so shallow to me. I can't understand the appeal and yeah if it was gone tomorrow I wouldn't miss it for a second.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Corden’s show didn’t make money so they shut it down finally I believe.

These shows don’t pull the numbers they used to from back in the day. Just the way most of the world is going.

With the writers strike aren’t these shows just doing reruns the past 4 months?

If his contract is nearing an end could see nbc shut him down and tap someone else.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Corden’s show didn’t make money so they shut it down finally I believe.

Like a lot of shows, the production costs go up and up with every year and salary bump until they usually end up unsustainable.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
It’s more of a revival.

Match Game, Password, Hollywood Squares, celebrities were doing games for years.
or Battle of the Network Stars ...

Definitely true that this isn't a new thing.

But I think it feels so much more aggressive today because of the internet. Easy to take a four minute segment from a show and put it on the web and let people consume it and circulate it that way. Hell these bits are designed specifically with that in mind.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But I think it feels so much more aggressive today because of the internet. Easy to take a four minute segment from a show and put it on the web and let people consume it and circulate it that way. Hell these bits are designed specifically with that in mind.

This is absolutely true.

I often look to Lonely Island as pioneering the short-form viral video as a key part of late night comedy with SNL and Lazy Sunday.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Like the OP stated, there have always been rumblings that there's issues surrounding him. I like some of his stuff and dislike a lot more. He's not a particularly good actor or comedian, he breaks constantly, and his fake laugh is irritating. The attention he pays guests feels more like he's brown nosing and putting it on more than he's actually interested, which I'm sure is the case with most of these guys but his feels extra phony.

He's not good enough to have an ego that allows him to behave the way he does so I'm a bit surprised his show has made it this long with this many issues. As most mention, Conan was really the only one that was good enough that should have a following. The rest of the guys are very replaceable. Colbert lost all of his appeal the moment he stopped doing the Colbert Report and it's crazy to think of the difference between his shows.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
He's one of those celebrities that even going back as far as his SNL days I never understood his popularity.

Plus, I'm still salty over NBC doing Conan O'Brien dirty all those years ago, so I'm all for basically the entire Tonight Show and Late Night brands burning.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I love Conan but his absurdist brand of humour was always going to be niche compared with guys like Carson, Leno and Fallon who were always going to be more generic and safe.

And that's precisely why I never found them fun to watch. But you're right.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad