TV: Are the knives out for Jimmy Fallon?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
wait-what?

do people actually still watch late night talks shows? would it be really an actual huge loss if fallon, meyers, corden, colbert and all the rest suddenly vanished from the airwaves?

They're called boomers because there were a lot of them

I watched talkshows in the 90s because everyone else did, but I found them very mid. Letterman would have his moments, but overall it felt then like it does today, an outdated format for old people. We didn't get NBC so I unfortunately couldn't watch Conan to see whether he lived up to the hype

todeskultes

harumph
May 28, 2016
Toronto
When I was a teenager I’d watch the Daily Show (back when Jon Stewart hosted it). Though I do often rewatch Letterman and Conan interviewing Norm Macdonald.

The only thing I think of when it comes to Jimmy Fallon is him being the weak link in the BÖC SNL skit.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

I mean I had a friend who loved him and taped stuff that I did see. I meant more I didn't have the chance to watch him regularly and experience the gold to filler ratio. Because man oh man did those shows ever have a lot of filler.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Conan by far had the best sketches on late night:
- Triumph
- Masturbating Bear
- In the Year 2000
- Paul Rudd's joke

And he managed to keep it up (and surpassing himself) after he left:
- Jordan Schlansky
- Sona the assistant, and other bits with his staff (who genuinely seem like they like him)
- Clueless gamer
- Conan without borders, I still watch them sometimes on Youtube

Fallon and Corden were annoying because they keep trying to play off their musical "talents". The wheel of impersonation and carpool karaoke parts were okay for a while, but it's always the same stuff.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
- Triumph
- Masturbating Bear
- In the Year 2000
- Paul Rudd's joke

- Jordan Schlansky
- Sona the assistant, and other bits with his staff (who genuinely seem like they like him)
- Clueless gamer

Fallon and Corden were annoying because they keep trying to play off their musical "talents". The wheel of impersonation and carpool karaoke parts were okay for a while, but it's always the same stuff.

Conan is very talented to. He can play the guitar very well. During the writers strike 15 or so years ago he did his show by himself and you could just see how smart he was with doing things off the cuff. Also he was a writer for SNL during their glory years and it shows in everything he does.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
wait-what?

do people actually still watch late night talks shows? would it be really an actual huge loss if fallon, meyers, corden, colbert and all the rest suddenly vanished from the airwaves?

Stopped watching after they started showing their political stripes every single time.

I don't mind making fun of politicians, but when its one-sided, no thanks.

Reactions: John Price and #37

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Like Fallon, Corderns ego had been question and how he acted when he was away from the show. He got into trouble because he pulled the "don't you know who I am card" a famous eating joint responded. "Yes. But we do not care."

Carpool karaoke was never funny yet some people on the internet thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Stopped watching after they started showing their political stripes every single time.

I don't mind making fun of politicians, but when its one-sided, no thanks.
I expect comedians to have a slant in their viewpoints, but great comedians can make light of both sides. But Colbert is basically a political pundit masquerading as a comedian at this point. The other hosts today have their biases but generally hold it in check. Colbert's just off the reservation though.

- Triumph
- Masturbating Bear
- In the Year 2000
- Paul Rudd's joke

- Jordan Schlansky
- Clueless gamer

Conan was best on NBC, and I never really watched his TBS show much (though I did actually attend two tapings in the last couple years before Covid), but I'm impressed by how he was able to adapt and build new recurring bits and characters like Jordan Schlansky or the travel series.

I used to listen to his podcast all the time when it first started, but now its really only if there's a guest that particularly interests me. But the man is quick with off the cuff humor, that's for sure.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
- Triumph
- Masturbating Bear
- In the Year 2000
- Paul Rudd's joke

- Jordan Schlansky
- Clueless gamer

You missed the best bit

Reactions: Osprey
Sep 19, 2008
how has he not been canceled yet

- Triumph
- Masturbating Bear
- In the Year 2000
- Paul Rudd's joke

- Jordan Schlansky
- Clueless gamer

Only half of this is true. The first half when he was on Late Night was some of the funniest shit I've seen on TV. Conan in Tonight show was watchable before they cut him, that wasn't as bad as everyone claimed it was. But then Conan in LA with his TBS show...that was mediocre. I know Conan has had a podcast since and his Travel show is decent, but most of his post-TS content has been pretty lame with the exception of the remotes which still managed to be quality.

Sep 19, 2008
That said, Conan actually tried to make things funny. The bits from Fallon and Corden were terrible. Fallon used to beat box the news or slow box the news or some crap, and then Corden would go around driving singing songs with celebrities. It was not watchable TV. I remember one time for the Tonight Show Fallon dressed up a bunch of dogs as Kentucky Derby horse numbers and had them race around, it was so cringe

The peak era was Leno TS and then Conan after. Maybe if you had cable you could say Daily Show and then Colbert REport (Stewart / Colbert ofc). Late Night TV really hit a slog once Stewart left, as much as I took umbrage at his often bewildered facial expressions and rants

Reactions: Primary Assist
Sep 19, 2008
I expect comedians to have a slant in their viewpoints, but great comedians can make light of both sides. But Colbert is basically a political pundit masquerading as a comedian at this point. The other hosts today have their biases but generally hold it in check. Colbert's just off the reservation though.

Conan was best on NBC, and I never really watched his TBS show much (though I did actually attend two tapings in the last couple years before Covid), but I'm impressed by how he was able to adapt and build new recurring bits and characters like Jordan Schlansky or the travel series.

I used to listen to his podcast all the time when it first started, but now its really only if there's a guest that particularly interests me. But the man is quick with off the cuff humor, that's for sure.
The problem is he never gained traction on any of thos TBS bits. Everyone who knows Conan knows the NBC bits even the more obscure ones like the state quarters bit or the "Hidden satellite channels on NBC" bit or the fake trailers (the one with Spider Man 3 still gets me to this day)

Once he left for LA he didn't have Joel Goddard anymore. He did have Andy back which was good but Max dropped in every now and then, not as often as he used to. The NYC show was built on the chemistry between Max, Conan and Joel Goddard who would do the most perverse things as a bit :laugh: Joel on Joel on Joel :laugh:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The problem is he never gained traction on any of thos TBS bits. Everyone who knows Conan knows the NBC bits even the more obscure ones like the state quarters bit or the "Hidden satellite channels on NBC" bit or the fake trailers (the one with Spider Man 3 still gets me to this day)

Once he left for LA he didn't have Joel Goddard anymore. He did have Andy back which was good but Max dropped in every now and then, not as often as he used to. The NYC show was built on the chemistry between Max, Conan and Joel Goddard who would do the most perverse things as a bit :laugh: Joel on Joel on Joel :laugh:

Joel was a treasure with his boy toy Toshi

Max was also a great part of the show. Even after Andy left he filled the sidekick role perfectly. You could always tell the energy wasn't there when Max would be off with Bruce Springsteen and leave Conan with Jimmy Vivino and James Wormwood. Just not the same.

I'm realizing that Max not being there was a big part of the TBS show not having the same juice as the NBC one.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Late Night TV really hit a slog once Stewart left, as much as I took umbrage at his often bewildered facial expressions and rants
the 2004 election really broke Jon Stewart as a comedian. He went from being a good delivery guy who could come up with funny stuff on the fly and hold his own in interviews to being a guy who was never more than 30 seconds away from some variant of preaching about how "X is shitty and that makes me upset" to the mass applause of the studio.

The contrast was all the greater when Colbert got his own spinoff. Myself, and just about everyone I know who watched both shows at that time, thought Colbert's fastball was much better.

Reactions: Vaheh and Voight

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
the 2004 election really broke Jon Stewart as a comedian. He went from being a good delivery guy who could come up with funny stuff on the fly and hold his own in interviews to being a guy who was never more than 30 seconds away from some variant of preaching about how "X is shitty and that makes me upset" to the mass applause of the studio.

The contrast was all the greater when Colbert got his own spinoff. Myself, and just about everyone I know who watched both shows at that time, thought Colbert's fastball was much better.
Bush did to Jon Stewart what 9/11 did to Dennis Miller, just in reverse.

Which brings up a side track, if Dennis Miller waited another couple years to do a late night show after the field had shifted a bit, it would've gone a lot better than it did when they put him up against Carson and he got bumped quickly. He would've been a good Dave replacement for Late Nite in 1993 (though I'm glad we got Conan).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
- Triumph
- Masturbating Bear
- In the Year 2000
- Paul Rudd's joke

- Jordan Schlansky
- Clueless gamer

My favourite Conan bits are still his segments with Ice Cube and Kevin Hart:

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I think that the strikes will be used to get rid of a few shows and hosts. Looks like most production houses have set a date of December 1st to half season of shows or they will just shutter the seasons

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I think that the strikes will be used to get rid of a few shows and hosts. Looks like most production houses have set a date of December 1st to half season of shows or they will just shutter the seasons
With so much streaming content out there, these studios can wait everyone out for a long time. This strike may break the unions, or at the very least severely weaken them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad