Speculation: Are the Habs imitating Vegas?

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I know Bergevin mentioned that the Canadiens wanted to take a page out of Vegas' success, and some changes have been made to the Canadiens system. The Habs play with speed just like Vegas do.

But how similar are their systems? Offensively and defensively.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I will say one thing. MTL looks fast, which opens up the ice. VGK did the same thing last year.

Reactions: Fixxer

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Can't imitate building an expansion team.

Anyway, despite two hot games against two questionable defenses and probably overlooking the Canadiens, we still do not have a #1 center. Domi might look nice, but his past resume warrants caution and a reasonable expectation that he will hit a slump at some point.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I know Bergevin mentioned that the Canadiens wanted to take a page out of Vegas' success, and some changes have been made to the Canadiens system. The Habs play with speed just like Vegas do.

But how similar are their systems? Offensively and defensively.

Canadian junior coach Dominique Ducharme is the calm during the storm | The Star

Ducharme’s team will play a style very close to how successful NHL teams play: up-tempo, speed through the neutral zone, a hard forecheck to take the time and space away from their opponents, quick puck retrieval.
“We want to be hard to play against,” Ducharme says.
“Our speed is one thing that can be hard to handle for the other team.”
But would he rather win 6-5 or 2-1?
Doesn’t matter, Ducharme says. “I would rather win.”

Last edited:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
They're playing with speed and transition, while minimizing their reliance on their once terrible, slow, defense. Having less Alzner/Benn, and more Mete/Juulsen/Petry definetly helps move the puck.

They likely arent going to dazzle you with amazing offensive plays and consistent finish, but they should be able to hang with teams for the most part if they continue to play the way they have been. Something that is still a massive 'if'. I dont personally see it being sustainable, but we'll see.

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The team has a lots of good young fast depth players. Where they are lacking is elite talent. We dont have a Crosby/JT/Matthews/Kucherov. We will get Weber back and Price can make a difference but I still think as the season goes a long the team will struggle against teams with the elite talent.

If they play with speed and pace all season long there is talent there for sure that can make the games competitive. Its up to the young players to progress. Surprised with the play of Juulsen, Mete, Reilly.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They're playing with speed and transition, while minimizing their reliance on their once terrible, slow, defense. Having less Alzner/Benn, and more Mete/Juulsen/Petry definetly helps move the puck.

They likely arent going to dazzle you with amazing offensive plays and consistent finish, but they should be able to hang with teams for the most part if they continue to play the way they have been.

They're just waking up to what the better teams in the league have been doing, but several years late. There is no "Vegas system", that was fact-specific and limited to being an expansion team and working with a clean slate and taking advantage of desperate counterparts.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I hate to be that guy but.... guys, two games??

I should have mentioned it in the thread title.. the point wasn't whether the Habs were going to be the next "success story" but more of a comparison between their offense and defense systems.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I hate to be that guy but.... guys, two games??
Exactly, and the Maple Leafs clearly are "playoff mediocre" and are thus set up for yet another first round exit since they have atrocious defense. Pens blew their load on the Caps and were caught sleeping at the wheel after being drunk from the euphoria.
Yes, I don't give crap about sexual innuendo.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If we really valued the "Vegas system" (whatever that means), his architect was a Hab assistant coach -- we could have implemented it years ago. All we had to do is recognize his worth, something that our GM was incapable of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cobra Commander

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's a copy cat league. Yes they are. Bergevin and Julien have pretty much been open about the fact that they are.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad