Speculation: Are the Habs imitating Vegas?

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I know Bergevin mentioned that the Canadiens wanted to take a page out of Vegas' success, and some changes have been made to the Canadiens system. The Habs play with speed just like Vegas do.

But how similar are their systems? Offensively and defensively.

Pacioretty, no need to look further

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I know Bergevin mentioned that the Canadiens wanted to take a page out of Vegas' success, and some changes have been made to the Canadiens system. The Habs play with speed just like Vegas do.

But how similar are their systems? Offensively and defensively.
I heard Mete say in an interview this years Habs plays like Canada at last years WJC. So I figure Ducharme has had an influence on team.

Apr 28, 2010
Absolutely correct, I said it here numerous times, I think people forget we went from probably the worst assistants in all of hockey in jjd and lacroix, to one of the best young minds in hockey

Don't know much about Luke Richardson but I read some comments from the main board that he's got his "fingerprints" on the team's play so far.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I hope not cause it's the worst strategy any DG could use.

Please before opening the champagne bottles wait for more than 2 games. Remember the last time people gave Weber the Norris after 20 games ...
Actually I fully disagree, while you are right results might not all be positive , and yes we will lose our share , from the start of preseason the team showed enough to know that something dramatic changed positively . Does not mean we will win every game but it means the play hard enough and a style that gives them a chance to win every game they play. Last year the team had lost before games started . Who could forget how the team reacted to a goal ...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Actually I fully disagree, while you are right results might not all be positive , and yes we will lose our share , from the start of preseason the team showed enough to know that something dramatic changed positively . Does not mean we will win every game but it means the play hard enough and a style that gives them a chance to win every game they play. Last year the team had lost before games started . Who could forget how the team reacted to a goal ...
It was that way probably cause it had a deja vu feeling, they crashed hard and the end of previous seasons. It was still in the back of their head.

Now there's enough new faces (and the ones got were important part of the team) to have a fresh start.

Lets see how they react down 0-3 in the 3rd of what looks like their 4th or 5th loss in a row...

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Pacioretty, no need to look further

Don't forget Galchenyuk. Talk about slowing the team down. Low motor player and we traded him for an extremely high motor player in Domi. Night and day. I think this team will struggle at points through the year but who cares, it'll be a lot more fun to watch the less of the old, failed core we have in place.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
2 games ir not, the team has played extremely well and has been since training camp. I think it’s a pleasant surprise as most here thought Habs would be relegated to the AHL next year.

Still, there’s no reason to think they’ll won’t continue this style of speed, pressure and pace in game 3, 4 etc. Not to say we’ll win every game going forward or some key players won’t go through slumps like literally every player does but there’s some hope that this new system with new coaches is a better fit for this team than the old slow grind and chase systems.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
it's so funny reading "this isnt sustainable for a whole season". They will slump during the season. Ya no shit sherlock. Every team does. If they didnt- theyd finish with 164 pts.

Truth is, if this team plays like this most nights, we will have a very good season.

Of course there will be periods where we question out play and certain players. Hell,most have already annpinted this years mule in Drouin -BUT nevertheless, its definitely a great sign for how the year can play out.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Toronto & Pittsburgh are "contenders" who have sub-par D. Might be adequate against some clubs but Montreal's fast forwards, forchecking aggressively, feasted on them. Turnover city. Habs look like they will match up very well against any D that cannot handle that aggressive play.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Toronto & Pittsburgh are "contenders" who have sub-par D. Might be adequate against some clubs but Montreal's fast forwards, forchecking aggressively, feasted on them. Turnover city. Habs look like they will match up very well against any D that cannot handle that aggressive play.
Pittsburgh is a contender by every possible measure. Toronto is an overhyped paper contender until they actually accomplish something.

Montreal has obviously become faster and younger -- a good direction -- but it's too soon to believe those qualities will translate into sustained goal scoring. The safer bet is that our roster generates more chances at a higher speed but continues to struggle with putting them in the net. We still need high-end talent to even enter the conversation.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
No.

Not even Vegas is Vegas right now. Makes for an overall more entertaining product for the league, but no. The only team that can get that breakneck pace are the Knights getting Schmidt back. And even then they can't keep that style of play up for 2-3 years.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Regarding the topic of sustainability, we are playing a very similar style to the one we had back in the lockout year. I would say our team is smaller than back then but it's also faster. I feel our bottom six is more competent too. That being said our D was better back then by far. From those who remember, the team performed well for 80% of the season and started getting off the rails after Emelin's injury. We might see something similar happen around the halfway mark but who knows, by then Weber should be back. Last night, Price didn't have to do much which was a common theme in that lockout season. That year was actually Price's worst year (if you remove last year's chaos) for us as contenders. The good thing is that we have a better coaching staff than back then (Waite vs Groulx) and better options as back-ups.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
The Habs are using their speed and they’re continuously forechecking. It’s a great system, they look relentless, and it’s creating many chances and overwhelming the other team. If they do this every game, with Price playing like the best goalie in the league, then I think we make the playoffs - or have a strong case. The Habs have zero pressure this year, nothing to lose. Nobody’s expecting to make the playoffs. Also Weber is gonna give a huge boost when he returns.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The Habs are using their speed and they’re continuously forechecking. It’s a great system, they look relentless, and it’s creating many chances and overwhelming the other team. If they do this every game, with Price playing like the best goalie in the league, then I think we make the playoffs - or have a strong case. The Habs have zero pressure this year, nothing to lose. Nobody’s expecting to make the playoffs. Also Weber is gonna give a huge boost when he returns.

So things come full circle. This system is more or less what Therrien employed in his first season here, before he got more conservative. Therrien called his approach "the swarm". Interestingly, the team was coming off a 28th place finish as well, and surprised out of the gate the next year.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
So things come full circle. This system is more or less what Therrien employed in his first season here, before he got more conservative. Therrien called his approach "the swarm". Interestingly, the team was coming off a 28th place finish as well, and surprised out of the gate the next year.

It's more Jacques Martin than anything.

edit: wait did Therrien take over in 2013? My bad you're right it's reminiscent of his first few years

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Can't wait for the change in attitude once the team goes through its notorious 10 game winless streak.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
It’s only been 2 games but what a difference from last years team that look defeated every time they skated out onto the ice. I love the speed and tenacity that this years team has. Keep it up boys.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Pittsburgh is a contender by every possible measure. Toronto is an overhyped paper contender until they actually accomplish something.n.

I'm not trying to diminish the pens because they have proven they are the real deal, but no team can be perfect in a cap world. The pens' d corps is kind of dubious and the current Habs are excellent at pressuring defences. Sometimes match ups work out well like that especially if top form price and a d unit anchored by a healthy weber can hold out against the higher end offences.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Team looked just as good at the beginning of the 2016-2017 season. Then we had to fire the coach later in the season and played a very uninspired playoffs round (and lost to a crap team playing crap hockey). If they play like that all season long then great. But i just don't see that defense holding for 82 games (the good dmen are too young/inexperienced and the vets outside of Weber and Petry some nights are awful). Anyone who think the Pens played a good game is out for launch. It's pretty much the worst the Pens can do. If we keep playing like that other teams will be ready.

I always say you don't evaluate a team/player when things are working well for them/him. You make the evaluation when the card castle starts to crumble. This is where those who have it make the difference. Everyone look good when things are working.

Last edited:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Team looked just as good at the beginning of the 2016-2017 season. Then we had to fire the coach later in the season and played a very uninspired playoffs round (and lost to a crap team playing crap hockey). If they play like that all season long then great. But i just don't see that defense holding for 82 games (the good dmen are too young/inexperienced and the vets outside of Weber and Petry some nights are awful). Anyone who think the Pens played a good game is out for launch. It's pretty much the worst the Pens can do. If we keep playing like that other teams will be ready.
Jesus Christ man, give the team some credit. They played with great effort and held the Pens at bay. We know it's not going to happen every game, but it's a step in the right direction

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I did point this out last year, but Vegas was essentially playing the way we wanted to be- which is a fast, competitive team that rolls 4 lines and and plays within a strict structure. It's a great blueprint. I definitely like what I'm seeing, but not quite ready to say this success is sustainable- but it's not like we're firing on all cylanders either. Weber is still out, PP is garbage, Drouin has been quiet... those things could change and make up for any falling off in other regards.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Jesus Christ man, give the team some credit. They played with great effort and held the Pens at bay. We know it's not going to happen every game, but it's a step in the right direction

It's a thread about imitating Vegas. I don't see the point of throwing flowers just for the sake of throwing flowers. What i'm saying is depth and speed alone don't win games (neither is attitude). Been this way forever outside of Vegas one year but it's debatable cause Karlsson legitimately played like a real first line center last year (outside of the scf where he was so so). If this is MB's big plan he will fail. Skills win and it's too soon to say this team landed in the skills department.

Oleg Petrov and Sergei Zholtok were fun to watch too (and fans loved them to death it was crazy) and the team was doing a lot better than expected. The rest is history and i hope history wont repeat itself. Skills should be the main focus not speed. Speed alone is just a fraction of all the required skills a player must have.

BTW i assume by "imitating vegas" we are talking about the myth that vegas is. The myth that the team won just because of speed and depth. Depth helps but without Karlsson and Marchessault playing like elite almost ppg players Vegas doesn't have this magical season.

I'm not debating whatever any of our players can do what Karlsson and Marchessault did last year. Maybe Byron can do 78 points. Your guess is as good as mine. What i'm debating is focusing on speed and depth alone is not a good strategy at all.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Borderline overexcitation - overexcitement on a season beginning…

Oh Montreal oh…

Reactions: LaP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->