Speculation: Are the Habs imitating Vegas?

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
There's two types of fans in this city. The ones that continually bash the team, no matter how the team performs - good or bad.

And then the ones who just hope for the best, and rationalize that hockey is just a sport - win or lose - it's fun to root for a team, regardless.

Nobody is expecting Habs to win the Cup or even make the playoffs, but it's nice to see the team actually put effort. You can't fault someone that gives their best. Hopefully they can keep it up, it's better than what we've witnessed the last couple of seasons, which were nothing short of lacklustre.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Just because they have a similar build or philosophy as Vegas doesn't mean they're going to follow the exact same path. People in here saying "calm down" etc.. need to understand that.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Absolutely. Way too soon to make predictions about anything or anyone. But last night was fun to watch and, y'know, it was nice to forget pessimism and just enjoy a game. Hockey is entertainment and I was entertained.

oh it was and that's why you did not see me posting an this forum yesterday night ;) But that's not really what this thread is all about. I mean there's the GDT and PGT threads for that right?

Reactions: Lshap

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I think Bergevin saw what Vegas did and spontaneously said to his wife: "Honey, I have a great idea! I know how I can save my job!" and is now doing his best imitation of Vegas and will fail.

I said many times last year, i would rather play high octane style like coach Guy Carbonneau did win lose or draw...We had Martin /Therrien both grinders...win 1-0 2-1...seen way too much of that....

With Guy Carbonneau style we was never out of games even if down in the 3rd period.....we had hope and many times they would make a come back and it was exciting to watch .....I'm so glad Claude changed the system to a move faster more exciting offensive style... it's the new NHL...

Reactions: MasterD

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Win or lose, if they keep playing this style, it won’t be a boring year.

years ago when coaches made low money they was trying to protect their job ..playing d style ..trap etc....the pay was so low you could fire a coach 1st year into a contract etc....BUT

Now these coaches got bigjob security.. i mean when you sign a 8 years 50 million or 5 year 25 mil as a coach your way less likely to get fired...So now open up and play real exciting hockey...tickets cost 150- 650 bucks ...Teams will always lose but what's the difference if you lose 5-4 or 2-1? fans are happier with more goals....Last year look at those Winnipeg Jets...I was so jealous how they didn't care if they lost 9-8 or won 10-2.. ...I think the new blood in Montreal (assts) think like this and that's great for fans for years to come IMHO..

Last edited:
Reactions: Odelein24

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Its just the way of the league. The devils had a similar brand of hockey as well and raised some eyebrows last year.

Anyways, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's enjoy this while we can, and just be thankful that the Habs are actually watchable so far, win or lose.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Its just the way of the league. The devils had a similar brand of hockey as well and raised some eyebrows last year.

Anyways, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's enjoy this while we can, and just be thankful that the Habs are actually watchable so far, win or lose.

If the Habs would have played wide open high offense style like Winnipeg did last year win5-4 8-4.. lose 6-3 9-7 ..be down by 3 -4 goals come back to win with 3rd period come backs....and still finished near the basement, i bet there would have been very few empty seats at Bell Centre....because the hockey was exciting even if the team wasn't winning..

We seen it 2 times so far in recent times..Jacques Martin played boring hockey fans emptied the Bell Centre....Julien tried it ..fans emptied again.....

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
lol habs wont keep this up. they also played 2 teams with awful d squad

yes they will...because if not? it will be new head coach Ducharme who will keep it up ....

I remember reading an article last year before season began about Julien..in it he said he was always open to change in systems etc..and he understood that...So i think this year proves it

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I remember reading an article last year before season began about Julien..in it he said he was always open to change in systems etc..

I don't think he was sincere. This style is what Pacioretty and the players wanted, and Chu Rien and the Genius turned on the captain for "not supporting what the coaches want", as Julien hinted at the press conference where Shea Weber was appointed.

Bad attitude, the players were told. And now, the coach changes his tune, and the players' attitude is better? Give me a break.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Can someone tell them that we need to suck in order to get another great pick ?

We can't afford to win too much. Will be like 2012 all over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peanut

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
yes they will...because if not? it will be new head coach Ducharme who will keep it up ....

I remember reading an article last year before season began about Julien..in it he said he was always open to change in systems etc..and he understood that...So i think this year proves it

lol ok 1-0-1 and people feel like they are 13-2-4
huge teams are not in win mode
we'll see after 10 games

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
huge teams are not in win mode
we'll see after 10 games

If Julien goes back to get shutout land and 1-0 wins....he is a goner this year....and i bet you money he didnt enjoy standing behind the bench last year ...So he's willing to try something new...like many other successful NHL teams are doing now..look at the high scoring in the playoffs last season...change or get left behind...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I think what people are reacting to is not just the 3 points in 2 games. It is the fact that it's fun to watch the Habs, and it's been fun since the start of the exhibition games. So it's 9 games, not 2, whereas last year, the exhibition games were the foreshadowing of the whole season of lifeless hockey.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
If Julien goes back to get shutout land and 1-0 wins....he is a goner this year....and i bet you money he didnt enjoy standing behind the bench last year ...So he's willing to try something new...like many other successful NHL teams are doing now..look at the high scoring in the playoffs last season...change or get left behind...
I mean julien saw that hockey is changing rly fast lately , gotta update his strats or nhl is over for him

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
I think what people are reacting to is not just the 3 points in 2 games. It is the fact that it's fun to watch the Habs, and it's been fun since the start of the exhibition games. So it's 9 games, not 2, whereas last year, the exhibition games were the foreshadowing of the whole season of lifeless hockey.

yes it is fun to watch , but u can already tell the problems with some players

Jul 6, 2016
Can someone tell them that we need to suck in order to get another great pick ?

We can't afford to win too much. Will be like 2012 all over again.

Looser attitude.... Way better to play the best you can, give the best show you can for your paying fans, make players evolve in a winning environment. Why did Vegas did not suck bad last season. They had all the rights to do it and grab Dahlin at the end. No, they decided to compete from Day ONE and never let go.

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I mean julien saw that hockey is changing rly fast lately , gotta update his strats or nhl is over for him

yup for sure...Claude's smart enough to know that too ....
The zone defense style that once worked for him, doesn't work real well in today's game...For some older coaches they would never be willing to change their style so late in the career..i mean Jacques Martin was a good coach in his career in that d era...do ya think Martin could come back this year and use a high offense style of play? i dunno..Same with Jacques Lemaire,could he come back in 2018 and go high offense style? i doubt it...great coach back in the d /trap era..today not so much

Julien is different..he knows .. change with the times or as you say it's over for him...

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Looser attitude.... Way better to play the best you can, give the best show you can for your paying fans, make players evolve in a winning environment. Why did Vegas did not suck bad last season. They had all the rights to do it and grab Dahlin at the end. No, they decided to compete from Day ONE and never let go.

If Gallant walked into the Vegas dressing room day 1 and told them there all a bunch of grinders....the success wouldn't have been so great IMHO....Gallant walked in ..told everyone don't worry about making mistakes on the ice, i wont bench you or put you in the dog house .....just go out and play and everyone is equal....yeah that creates good attitudes...and an environment for over achievers...

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad