Are the Avalanche a bit overrated ?

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
The roster we iced last night was not a contending roster. We all know this.

We took 3/4 points from Anaheim with MacKinnon and Makar out. Let’s not act like that’s some huge travesty.
Do you really think that their issues are just based on injuries alone? They haven't been playing well since the season began. I know that when I do watch them, they are a boring ass team.

Reactions: klozge

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Do you really think that their issues are just based on injuries alone? They haven't been playing well since the season began. I know that when I do watch them, they are a boring ass team.

I absolutely think missing 3/4 of your most important players, one of whom being one of the very best players in the world, is a significant contributor to the L. It isn’t our only issue, but if we continue to outshoot our opponents by 6-8 shots per game, I’m confident the rest will take care of itself.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Maybe a little. I'd put them as the second best team in the league personally. Tampa is the number 1 with an absolutely loaded roster. They finally won it last year so the "can't get it done in the playoffs" mojo is gone.

The Avs are next followed by a tier of Toronto, Vegas (I still don't understand how Vegas is so good but at this point I have to trust the results), Boston and Carolina. So if I had to give a power ranking with ---- denoting tiers:
Tampa
----------
Colorado
-----------
Toronto
Vegas
Boston
Carolina
-----------
Everyone else
------------
------------
------------
Ottawa
Detroit

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Most likely yes. MacKinnon is also the best player in the world and Makar is a Norris winner for sure.
Great team, but overrated indeed.

People on these boards love to be contrarians. I live in colorado and it isn't a very popular thing to say that he is the best player in the world. When I bring up the fact that I am from Saint Louis and I am a Blues fan they immediately bring up ROR, wishing they still had him as a second center punch because while he is absolutely a top player in the league, MacKinnon isn't as complete of a player as people like to believe on here.

Reactions: MessierII

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Well they are only playing teams from within that division, Im not sure how that is relevant to the rest of the league. Maybe it proves just how weak that division is if they are playing so well.

Yeah, the Drew revival year plus kopitar having one of his best seasons has no impact as to why the kings are playing better hockey this year. They must be beating good teams in their division that they lost to last year cause vegas and avs are now actually bad.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mackinnon, Makar, Byram, EJ, Calvert, Compher, Grubauer and Francouz missing last night. That’s kind of a big deal but that tends to be a problem in itself. The Avs fully healthy are a juggernaut but the fact that they can’t ever be fully healthy is absolutely a problem.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Roasted Nuts

Feb 6, 2018
Behind you
Avs are not bit overrated, they're bit injured
I do consider the Av's to be one of the top teams in the league, but I think their talent would overcome the injuries. When Tampa is missing one or two of its stars like Kucherov this season and Stamkos last, they were still consistently winning games.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
I do consider the Av's to be one of the top teams in the league, but I think their talent would overcome the injuries. When Tampa is missing one or two of its stars like Kucherov this season and Stamkos last, they were still consistently winning games.

one, two stars versus - Mackinnon, Makar, Byram, EJ, Calvert, Compher, Grubauer and Francouz.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Even the best teams won't over come too many injuries. Tampa was pretty healthy, they were only missing Stamkos. Avs are missing way too many key players like MacKinnon, Makar, Byram, EJ. That's like if Tampa was missing Stamkos or Point, also Hedman, and 2 other top 4 d-men. I'm not even counting Calvert.

Reactions: TK 421

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Mackinnon, Makar, Byram, EJ, Calvert, Compher, Grubauer and Francouz missing last night. That’s kind of a big deal but that tends to be a problem in itself. The Avs fully healthy are a juggernaut but the fact that they can’t ever be fully healthy is absolutely a problem.

but Compher is so lousy that him being out pretty much makes it even

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Even the best teams won't over come too many injuries. Tampa was pretty healthy, they were only missing Stamkos. Avs are missing way too many key players like MacKinnon, Makar, Byram, EJ. That's like if Tampa was missing Stamkos or Point, also Hedman, and 2 other top 4 d-men. I'm not even counting Calvert.

That the Avs have managed to get 4 points and a 1-1-2 record with Miska in net giving an .865 save percentage tells me they’re doing all they can to play through the injuries, but there’s a limit.

And yeah, we probably should’ve found a better 3G in the off-season. But, we will before the playoffs start. Nobody is going to get to face Miska when it counts.

Reactions: Mordoch

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Avs healthy lineup (with injuries in bold):

Landeskog --- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Burakovsky ------ Kadri --------- Saad
Nichuskin ------ Compher ----- Donskoi
Calvert --------- Bellemare ----- Jost

Toews ---- Makar
Byram
--- Girard
Graves --- Johnson

Grubauer
Francouz

Kaut and Gilbert are also injured, though those aren't exactly key injuries at the NHL level.

Missing your best two players; half of your top 6 Dmen; and your backup goalie (which has cost the Avs 4 points already on its own) is a pretty valid reason for inconsistency.

Adding a legit 3C and backup/3G and getting healthy by the playoffs would help this team a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mordoch and TK 421

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Injuries have been an issue, but they have not exactly played to their potential yet IMO. That said, I'm not worried about the latter, playoffs are when it counts. Tampa has shown this.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That the Avs have managed to get 4 points and a 1-1-2 record with Miska in net giving an .865 save percentage tells me they’re doing all they can to play through the injuries, but there’s a limit.

And yeah, we probably should’ve found a better 3G in the off-season. But, we will before the playoffs start. Nobody is going to get to face Miska when it counts.
Yeah I forgot to include Francouz as a key players missing for the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad