Are the Avalanche a bit overrated ?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
They were ranked as the main SC favorite by most people before the season and playing in the weakest division by far, you would think they should dominate it along with Vegas and St Louis, yet they are in the middle of the pack now.

Are they not in full steam yet or what’s holding them back ?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They were ranked as the main SC favorite by most people before the season and playing in the weakest division by far, you would think they should dominate it along with Vegas and St Louis, yet they are in the middle of the pack now.

Are they not in full steam yet or what’s holding them back ?

I didn't know the Avs played in the North

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For the trillionth time, Stanley Cup favourites rarely ever win the year everyone chooses them.

Just look at the Lightning, they won the year after getting ridiculed and downgraded in the media circle. I expect Avs will have to go through some tough and challenging situations/time before they actually win since every team does. This run of games could be one of those such times...

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
What Seph said is true. I think their cup win is inevitable in the same way it was for the '07 Ducks, the Blackhawks, the '12 Kings (who were an 8th seed in name only), the Caps, Blues and the Lightning. But it might not be this year. You really can't beat the obvious template and we all know it when we see it. In most cases, it's just adding those one or two pieces (J. Carter, ROR, Hossa, etc. that can push you over the top). Maybe it's Taylor Hall this summer, maybe it's a trade for a 3W.

The only stacked team that never got it done was SJ (which sucks because their fans are awesome).

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
For the trillionth time, Stanley Cup favourites rarely ever win the year everyone chooses them.

Just look at the Lightning, they won the year after getting ridiculed and downgraded in the media circle. I expect Avs will have to go through some tough and challenging situations/time before they actually win since every team does. This run of games could be one of those such times...

Ehhh that's debatable. Lightning fans have been wanting that Cup for YEARS. In the times I'd call our shot and say we were gonna win it all it was about as special as saying "Babe Ruth is gonna hit a home run tonight." It's a sarcastic "no shit.... really???" moment. And I argue people who were picking against us were overthinking it. The odds were in our favor more than ever because another year had gone by and we still had an amazing team.

The same logic applies to the Avs but it's such a different make up. I don't pick against them but for any reason that the makeup of their team is very similar to Boston. You've got a fantastic team and few guys who are pure magic that WILL take you as far as it lasts. But boy you better pray someone doesn't catch onto your trick.

The Avs may very well get to the SCF but man it's gonna be hell if their top line gets shut down

Reactions: jabubenice

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
No, I don't think they're overrated. They're underachieving. They're close in terms of piecing together a Cup-winning team. Need a major upgrade on D and another good forward or two.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They shouldn't be the cup favorites. Lightning should. Avs should be in a group of 4-5 below that though.

My biggest worry is that they're running Grubauer into the ground because Francouz is on LTIR and they have zero faith in Miska.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
Them being favorites this year came from what they did last year which included having some really nice production from the bottom 6. This year the bottom 6 has been a desert outside of Donskoi.

Reactions: Husqvarna

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I think they're in the same tier as canes, leafs, and a few other teams. They are a contender but in no way should have been cup favourites over TB

Does anyone have them pegged like this?

Colorado are still one of the favourites from the West. They're not the cup favourite, but they're likely in the top 5. Regardless of where they are in the standings doesn't change this - they have the pieces. When Tampa was struggling to start the year last year, if anyone thought they were falling apart and suddenly weren't among the favourites to win the cup they weren't paying attention.

These boards have crazy swings sometimes with opinions based upon "what have you done lately".

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
They have only played 16 games and play in a good division.

The top teams in the north are overrated. The only good team is the Leafs (no, Oiler fans your 5-0 record against the Sens and losing record against everyone else has noone fooled).

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Extremely overrated. Team looks like ass right now and the execution has been awful. The talent is there, but they aren’t clicking right now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Does anyone have them pegged like this?

Colorado are still one of the favourites from the West. They're not the cup favourite, but they're likely in the top 5. Regardless of where they are in the standings doesn't change this - they have the pieces. When Tampa was struggling to start the year last year, if anyone thought they were falling apart and suddenly weren't among the favourites to win the cup they weren't paying attention.

These boards have crazy swings sometimes with opinions based upon "what have you done lately".

The Avalanche were getting a lot of advanced hype as the cup favorite at the start of the season:

2021 Stanley Cup Odds: Avalanche, Lightning Named Preseason Betting Favorites

MacKinnon says Avalanche may be favorites to win Stanley Cup

How the Avalanche are handling being a top Stanley Cup favorite

Reactions: Video Nasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad