Are the 2017/2018 Leafs legitimate contenders for the Cup?

Are the 2017/2018 Leafs legitimate contenders for the Cup?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Sure thing, Gary.

My post:

One whole line at the end about the Leafs record against the top teams this year.

and your response to it:

now that sure seems to be a lot of words you just riffed of my one line, talking about what some mysterious anonymous "Leaf fans" would be saying. I wonder if any of those "leaf fans" you just put words into the mouths of would be named zeke?

Just admit that you get very upset when anyone mentions any reason why the leafs' current record may not perfectly represent their chances against other playoff and contender teams. and then you can admit that your sample size argument was BS if you'd like, too.
Not really my business to step in here, but when someone says "The only conclusion I can draw...", that doesn't qualify as putting words in your mouth. That qualifies as taking data you've previously shared and drawing their own conclusions, finding their own meaning in that data. At no point was it implied that you felt the same way. The only reference to you is that you like sharing the data.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Sure thing, Gary.

My post:

One whole line at the end about the Leafs record against the top teams this year.

and your response to it:

now that sure seems to be a lot of words you just riffed of my one line, talking about what some mysterious anonymous "Leaf fans" would be saying. I wonder if any of those "leaf fans" you just put words into the mouths of would be named zeke?

Just admit that you get very upset when anyone mentions any reason why the leafs' current record may not perfectly represent their chances against other playoff and contender teams. and then you can admit that your sample size argument was BS if you'd like, too.

Read carefully, he actually doesn’t put any words in your mouth. He acknowledges your last line and then continues in to his own opinion.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
correct.

he puts the words into the mouths of mysterious, anonymous "leaf fans".

my bad. obviously had nothing to do with me.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They aren't contenders - in many of the games against top teams this season, they've been outplayed badly.

Last night, I thought Nashville were outstanding for 40 minutes, and that's third period is probably as dominant a period as any team has put up against the Leafs all season. Andersen is the reason we got out of there with anything.

And that's OK. There's going to be an element of natural progression and growth with this group, that isn't going to happen overnight. That was a good test last night, and Boston in the 1st round is going to be a pretty big learning lesson too.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Had to look up some stats for a Calgary fan saying we were not a contender. Here is our record this season against other "contenders":

Nashville: 1 and 1
Boston: won 2 of 3
Washington: 1 and 1
Winnipeg: won only game
Vegas: 1 and 1
Tampa: lost only game

So overall we have a winning record against all the "contenders". Not one of them has owned us.

Last edited:

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Gotta say if these new look Leafs with Dermott and Kapanen are for real, they are most definitely moving the needle. I'm very interested to see how these last 26 games go. They can go on a real run here. If they end up with the perfect #4 C and maybe a veteran #6 RHD, things may fall into place.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I'll never understand "fans" that spend more time hating their team or not being confident in them than supporting them. Why be a fan then?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'll never understand "fans" that spend more time hating their team or not being confident in them than supporting them. Why be a fan then?
You don't have to be a fan of the Team to post on this board.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Nope, all I said was (and this is the exact quote):
Zeke likes to tell everyone how well we've done against the top teams

And that's 100% true. Methinks thou dost protest too much.

A betting man ignores nothing and most importantly, considers carefully how much weight should be given to various factors. Hint - what you posted, our record against the 5 "elite contenders", sample size 7 games total means next to nothing.
so in a 7 game series a perceived weaker team can win.

Make the playoffs and anything can happen. Think positive.

I happen to think 3 or 4 more wins after 50 plus games is a negligeable difference and means next to nothing.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
I think we're very solidly tier 2, but that also has to do with our path to the cup could be hardest in the whole league. We will not get through TB/BOS/PIT/NSH or something like that, literally the 4 best teams in the league come playoff time. All you need to check is who the St Louis Blues have had to play in the playoffs since 2012. That team reflects about how good I believe we are (top 5-8 teams) and how our playoff fate will be this year.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
So a fan is someone who "wants their team to WIN NOW" when they aren't a serious contender ?
That's a brain dead fan.
We haven't finished the rebuild.
When you don't do things in order, you build a straw house.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
So a fan is someone who "wants their team to WIN NOW" when they aren't a serious contender ?
That's a brain dead fan.
We haven't finished the rebuild, but the foundation is almost in place. We're a couple complementary pieces and some experience away from being where we want to be - I don't think looking at this year as an opportunity to contend is going to be so damaging that all those bricks we've laid will suddenly turn into straw.

I don't believe we're at the point where we can be disappointed if we're not in the Final 4, but man oh man, it's not like we're still tearing down and missing major core pieces. Could trading JVR and Bozak help us net one of those complementary pieces? Sure, and if a deal makes sense then I do hope we'll explore it. But not moving these guys this year is not nearly as dire as some seem to want to make it out to be, in my opinion.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That's a brain dead fan.
You're very naive. This isn't how things work.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
There is no magic "finish the rebuild" point where you now start making moves.
Things aren't done in steps, they are done concurrently.
I don't dispute, it isn't all or nothing.
At some level you are always rebuilding / planning for the future.

There are degrees of rebuilding and trying to field the best team possible.
Now is the time to rebuild.
Now is the time to move assets for the future.
Now isn't a time to "go all in".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad