Are Sweden becoming worse?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Am I reading that right? Someone thinks Gabe Landeskog wouldn't even make team Russia?

LOL

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Your statistic is very restrictive and is based on very old facts. I said it before: seen from France, Sweden sucks. We had practically all the best Swedes in our championship, we saw that Ibrahimovic was weak against the strong with Paris, Kenneth Andersson, Kim Kallstrom, Peter Hansson were average players. A player like Isaac Kiese Thelin is really bad for Ligue 1.

If you find that you have a good football team, you have a big evaluation problem. And it's much worse than not knowing Sweden's palmares by heart.

I've seen them play several lately; Sweden plays poor football. At the limit I found Sweden more interesting 20 years ago with young Ibrahimovic, Larsson, Ljungberg, Mellberg, P.Andersson.

I much prefer Norway which will be able to count on an elite world player for the coming decade. Someone compared to Ibrahimovic and Haaland. I think they will make the same career. Except that Ibrahimovic is the past, Haaland is the future. About Denmark, there is absolutely no debate.

Peter Hansson and Kiese Thelin never was considered top swedish players. The fact that you thinks that just shows how little you know of swedish football. And Kenneth Andersson had a great Serie-a career, why is it only his career in French League that he should be hold count for, the Serie A is a better league than Ligue a.

Did you even know that France lost to Sweden in euro 2012? That should not be possible if we are the worst of worst as you say.

What has Denmark done the last 5 years that is so much better than Sweden? We could compare rosters and i dont see how Denmark is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casanova

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Peter Hansson and Kiese Thelin never was considered top swedish players. And Kenneth Andersson had a great Serie-a career, why is it only his career in French League that he should be hold count for, the Serie A is a better league than Ligue a.

Did you even know that France lost to Sweden in euro 2012? That should not be possible if we are the worst of worst as you say.

What has Denmark done the last 5 years that is so much better than Sweden? We could compare rosters and i dont see how Denmark is better.

These are players who played for Sweden when they played in Ligue 1 so they were among the best Swedish players.In 2012, France was in total rebuilt after the crisis of 2010 and on one match, in Football, apart from countries that are too sparsely populated, all European countries can win against best nations.

Denmark play better than Sweden and have a better squad. Stop fantasizing about your quarterfinal at the World Cup. Are Croatia the 2nd best nation because they went to the final ? No.

Kenneth Andersson a great career in Serie A ? What joke. He played in a medium team with Ingesson, also spent in France and who was zero with Marseille. In France, he only interested small teams (Caen, Lille).

Obviously Swedes have a big problem with self-assessment.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
These are players who played for Sweden when they played in Ligue 1 so they were among the best Swedish players.In 2012, France was in total rebuilt after the crisis of 2010 and on one match, in Football, apart from countries that are too sparsely populated, all European countries can win against best nations.

Denmark play better than Sweden and have a better squad. Stop fantasizing about your quarterfinal at the World Cup. Are Croatia the 2nd best nation because they went to the final ? No.

Kenneth Andersson a great career in Serie A ? What joke. He played in a medium team with Ingesson, also spent in France and who was zero with Marseille. In France, he only interested small teams (Caen, Lille).

Obviously Swedes have a big problem with self-assessment.

Petter Hansson was not our best dman, Olof Mellberg was way better. Ask any swede. Before that we had Patrik Andersson and Joachim Björklund who also where way better than Petter Hansson (we took bronze in WC 1994 btw, and reach semifinals in 1992 euro).

How do Denmark play better? They did not even make 2018 WC and we are playing in higher divsion in Nations League for a reason.

2020–21 UEFA Nations League A - Wikipedia

Yeah, so beating Italy (qualifier), Mexico, South Korea and Switzerland in WC 2018 was just pure luck and also the fact that we qualifed again for euro 2021 ahead of Norway? we also qualifed for euro 2016 and euro 2012. and....euro 2008, wc 2006, euro 2004, wc 2002, euro 2000, all luck, right?

Yes, Kenneth Andersson had a good Serie-a career, ask Bologna fans what they think of him. You seem to think that if a player is not among the best in the league then he is bad. I never said Kenneth was among the best, just that he had a good serie-a career. Yes he was bad in France, but not in Italy.

No, we dont have problem with knowing our place. We are aware that we are not a top nation, we are not top 15 in the world. But you and others make it sounds like we are as bad as Estonia and Macedonia.

oh btw, in 2012, we did more than beating France:

Last edited:

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Your statistic is very restrictive and is based on very old facts. I said it before: seen from France, Sweden sucks. We had practically all the best Swedes in our championship, we saw that Ibrahimovic was weak against the strong with Paris, Kenneth Andersson, Kim Kallstrom, Peter Hansson were average players. A player like Isaac Kiese Thelin is really bad for Ligue 1.

If you find that you have a good football team, you have a big evaluation problem. And it's much worse than not knowing Sweden's palmares by heart.

I've seen them play several lately; Sweden plays poor football. At the limit I found Sweden more interesting 20 years ago with young Ibrahimovic, Larsson, Ljungberg, Mellberg, P.Andersson.

I much prefer Norway which will be able to count on an elite world player for the coming decade. Someone compared to Ibrahimovic and Haaland. I think they will make the same career. Except that Ibrahimovic is the past, Haaland is the future. About Denmark, there is absolutely no debate.

Seen from France, every nation sucks atm since they are reigning world champions.

You are saying Zlatan was bad? how is that for a valuation.

Ligue 1 is a bad league compared to EPL, La Liga, Serie A and even Bundesliga, why would our best go to your league? Zlatan wants money, he is the exception, but he still went past his prime.

02-04 we had strong teams, agree.

"you prefer Norway" which is the lesser team, by every metric available. Thats how clueless and/or biased you are.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Petter Hansson was not our best dman, Olof Mellberg was way better. Ask any swede. Before that we had Patrik Andersson and Joachim Björklund who also where way better than Petter Hansson (we took bronze in WC 1994 btw, and reach semifinals in 1992 euro).

How do Denmark play better? They did not even make 2018 WC and we are playing in higher divsion in Nations League for a reason.

2020–21 UEFA Nations League A - Wikipedia

Yeah, so beating Italy (qualifier), Mexico, South Korea and Switzerland in WC 2018 was just pure luck and also the fact that we qualifed again for euro 2021 ahead of Norway? we also qualifed for euro 2016 and euro 2012. and....euro 2008, wc 2006, euro 2004, wc 2002, euro 2000, all luck, right?

Yes, Kenneth Andersson had a good Serie-a career, ask Bologna fans what they think of him. You seem to think that if a player is not among the best in the league then he is bad. I never said Kenneth was among the best, just that he had a good serie-a career. Yes he was bad in France, but not in Italy.

No, we dont have problem with knowing our place. We are aware that we are not a top nation, we are not top 15 in the world. But you and others make it sounds like we are as bad as Estonia and Macedonia.

oh btw, in 2012, we did more than beating France:

You are correct in all you are saying, but we also kicked out Netherlands in the qualifiers and Germany in the group stage of the main event.

And to the bolded, we are not top 15 atm, (actually #20 in rankings) but historically we are most definitely a top 15 nation.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Olaf Mellberg was your best defender. I think you said everything about the weakness of Swedish football.
Ibrahimovic was bad against good Champions League teams. This is the reason why Paris no longer wanted him.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Olaf Mellberg was your best defender. I think you said everything about the weakness of Swedish football.
Ibrahimovic was bad against good Champions League teams. This is the reason why Paris no longer wanted him.

yes you are right, mellberg was terrible. he would not even have made estonias national team. and zlatan sucks too, terrible player. he is not even good enough to play for Nimes. and yes, denmark and norway are so much better, they made euro 2012, wc 2014, euro 2016, wc 2018 and euro 2021, and reach qf one time. super teams. Moldavia is better than Sweden. Now you heard what you wanted to hear so we can end the dicussion.

tenor.gif

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
yes you are right, mellberg was terrible. he would not even have made estonias national team. and zlatan sucks too, terrible player. he is not even good enough to play for Nimes. and yes, denmark and norway are so much better, they made euro 2012, wc 2014, euro 2016, wc 2018 and euro 2021, and reach qf one time. super teams. Moldavia is better than Sweden. Now you heard what you wanted to hear so we can end the dicussion.

tenor.gif
You have so much no arguments that you say anything.

Denmark is better than Sweden. It's like that. You have to know how to accept it rather than saying anything. If Olaf Mellberg had been a great defender, he would have played for big European clubs which played the Champions League. However, with the exception of one season at Juve this has never been the case.

He was much weaker than Philippe Mexes. And seen from France, Mexes was not a great defender.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
You have so much no arguments that you say anything.

Denmark is better than Sweden. It's like that. You have to know how to accept it rather than saying anything. If Olaf Mellberg had been a great defender, he would have played for big European clubs which played the Champions League. However, with the exception of one season at Juve this has never been the case.

He was much weaker than Philippe Mexes. And seen from France, Mexes was not a great defender.

You are not showing any facts that support that Denmark is better than Sweden. Give me these facts, im waiting.

When did i say Mellberg was great? Also i never said Sweden is better than France, France is alot better than Sweden.

If you look back in time, Patrik Andersson (barcelona, bayern) and Joachim Björklund (valencia) was high quality.

Btw, it was nice beating France today in Handball. Sweden is in finals! 2 finals in 4 years for us, we are getting back into the scene.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
It's no use arguing any longer.

If you are not convinced take FIFA, PES or Football Manager and compare the scores between players from Denmark and players from Sweden.

You are talking to me about Patrick Andersson and Joachim Bjorklund who are now 50 years old.

Am I talking about Thomas Helveg, Michael Laudrup or Peter Schmeichel?

It is your nationalist subjectivity that speaks. Me it is my objectivity.

I don't care that Sweden is weak in Soccer. I am passionate about Hockey.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Sweden is quite lacking in super star level talent. Back in the day they used to have many high-end stars, now they have like, Hedman who isn't even on the level of prime Karlsson or Lidström, and in terms of offense they have nothing like the Sedins, Forsberg or even Sundin. For goalies they have no one like Lundqvist. It's safe to say that lately Sweden's downgraded itself in just about every category.

Canada is quite lacking in superstar level talent. Back in the day they used to have many high-end stars, now they have like Doughty who isn't even on the level of prime Bourque or Orr, and in terms of offense they have nothing like Gretzky, Lemieux or even Howe. For goalies they have no one like Roy. It's safe to say that lately Canada's downgraded itself in just about every category.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Am I reading that right? Someone thinks Gabe Landeskog wouldn't even make team Russia?

LOL

Landeskog and Nylander are not worthy of glorious team Russia, which has the best offense in the World. Maybe they can carry the sticks and pucks for maestro Ivan Telegin and Vadim Shipachyov and learn something from this greats!

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
And seen from France, Mexes was not a great defender.

Mexès was world class in his prime and easily the best France had in his position at the time. ***ing Boumsong being selected over him by Domenech made it clear how hopelessly incompetent that man was, but that's not surprising for a person who thinks video game ratings matter more than results would try to justify his selections. Bet you're going to tell me that Sébastien Frey was bad next. :eyeroll:

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
It's no use arguing any longer.

If you are not convinced take FIFA, PES or Football Manager and compare the scores between players from Denmark and players from Sweden.

You are talking to me about Patrick Andersson and Joachim Bjorklund who are now 50 years old.

Am I talking about Thomas Helveg, Michael Laudrup or Peter Schmeichel?

It is your nationalist subjectivity that speaks. Me it is my objectivity.

I don't care that Sweden is weak in Soccer. I am passionate about Hockey.

You recency bias is obvious (and you fail to see that the sum is greater than its parts for Sweden atm), and somehow compare Sweden to France. Lets compare Canada and Finland in hockey, is it close in your opinion? Does that mean Finland is bad at icehockey?

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
You recency bias is obvious (and you fail to see that the sum is greater than its parts for Sweden atm), and somehow compare Sweden to France. Lets compare Canada and Finland in hockey, is it close in your opinion? Does that mean Finland is bad at icehockey?

Except that I compare Sweden with Denmark, a country half as populated. And if I had to compare Sweden to Portugal or to Belgium, I was wasting my time debating it is obvious that Portugal and Belgium have more and more talent than Sweden.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Dahlin, Raymond, Holtz, Lysell, Edvinn, Eklund, Wallst

2 years from now they got prolific threats Ostlund and Salomonsson. They in good shape. Not as much depth as usual though.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Still clearly ahead of Finland and Russia for sure. Overall, there is no debate. 3rd or second best.

Classic HFboard answer.

Still way ahead of USA, who is behind Finland at 5.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
u24 swedes in nhl right now:

Screenshot-42.png

Screenshot-43.png

thats not exactly impressing, is it? I dont see how Sweden have more impressing u24 players than Germany, Switzerland, Czech and Slovakia. Canada/Finland/Russia/USA is miles ahead.

Is Sweden on the way to become
a nation that is not even top8 in the hockeyworld? I think so.

Sweden is a talent factory when it's come to icehockey. USA seems to get more and more NHL players every year, while Canada get fewer and fewer. The other status quo. Also the x-communist nations Russia and Czech republic have a decline. Those two had really good talent production during and just after the communist breakdown.

upload_2021-1-30_14-25-27.png

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Nice the statistical table. Russia, Czechia and Slovakia are expected to rise again in the coming years given the many talents that lie ahead for 2030. Russian prospects already represent more than 10% of the players selected for 2 years.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Nice the statistical table. Russia, Czechia and Slovakia are expected to rise again in the coming years given the many talents that lie ahead for 2030. Russian prospects already represent more than 10% of the players selected for 2 years.
I hope the Czechs and Slovaks rise again but it's not entirely clear that will happen.

Does Russia need to rise? I'd say they're looking damn good! Lots of Elite Forwards, the biggest collection of elite goalies going and Provorov/Romanov/Sergachaev all looking to be very good Top 4 options.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00