Are Sweden becoming worse?

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Except that I compare Sweden with Denmark, a country half as populated. And if I had to compare Sweden to Portugal or to Belgium, I was wasting my time debating it is obvious that Portugal and Belgium have more and more talent than Sweden.

Belgium have a golden generation and have been number 1 on the world rankings for years. They are strong now, but historically, Sweden is a ahead by a lot

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Belgium have a golden generation and have been number 1 on the world rankings for years. They are strong now, but historically, Sweden is a ahead by a lot

Yes in the 1930s to the 1950s Sweden was better than Belgium. Congratulations.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Sweden won the last U18 Championship so I'm not worried at all. The only thing that worries me is that the SHL is getting far too soft, spurred on by the so called journalists and hockey experts. On the other hand, that's the direction all hockey leagues are trending.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
u24 swedes in nhl right now:

Screenshot-42.png

Screenshot-43.png

thats not exactly impressing, is it? I dont see how Sweden have more impressing u24 players than Germany, Switzerland, Czech and Slovakia. Canada/Finland/Russia/USA is miles ahead.

Is Sweden on the way to become a nation that is not even top8 in the hockeyworld? I think so.

As a Canucks fan it is easy to forget that most teams don't have Swedish stars playing for them. You could almost name an entire roster of Swedes that have played for the Canucks in the last 20 years or so, with extra goalies to boot.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Many of the swedes with less swedish names disappear when it is time for the big national team, they seldom get their shot and choose the countries of their parents instead. It is fine to give those kids time in the U-21, U-20, U-18 etc. but when it comes to the big team.. You need to be an exceptional talent to make the team with a non-swedish sounding name.

You got any statistics or facts to back up this outlandish claim?

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
It's no use arguing any longer.

If you are not convinced take FIFA, PES or Football Manager and compare the scores between players from Denmark and players from Sweden.

You are talking to me about Patrick Andersson and Joachim Bjorklund who are now 50 years old.

Am I talking about Thomas Helveg, Michael Laudrup or Peter Schmeichel?

It is your nationalist subjectivity that speaks. Me it is my objectivity.

I don't care that Sweden is weak in Soccer. I am passionate about Hockey.

lets say denmark have better players, still...sweden is playing better. denmark dont make wc and euro as often as sweden does, sweden does it very often. the strenght of sweden is hardwork, tactics and good team defense, denmark, serbia, turkey etc may look better on paper and yet these nations are doing worse than sweden if you look at international competitions.

Yes in the 1930s to the 1950s Sweden was better than Belgium. Congratulations.

Sweden reach semifinals in 1992 and won bronze in 1994. How was Belgium better during this time?

Lets move forward. Sweden made wc 2002, euro 2004, wc 2006 and euro 2008. Belgium did not make any of this tournaments as far as i know. How was Belgium better during this time?

Last edited:
Reactions: Casanova

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
lets say denmark have better players, still...sweden is playing better. denmark dont make wc and euro as often as sweden does, sweden does it very often. the strenght of sweden is hardwork, tactics and good team defense, denmark, serbia, turkey etc may look better on paper and yet these nations are doing worse than sweden if you look at international competitions.

Sweden reach semifinals in 1992 and won bronze in 1994. How was Belgium better during this time?

Lets move forward. Sweden made wc 2002, euro 2004, wc 2006 and euro 2008. Belgium did not make any of this tournaments as far as i know. How was Belgium better during this time?

Do you still insist? You're heavy.

Belgium largely outperformed Sweden between 1980 and 1990 without a break. After 92-94, Belgium regains the upper hand until 2002. Then after 2004-08, Belgium takes the upper hand again. In 40 years, Belgium has been better than Sweden 30 years.

In any case, if you ask me which team I prefer to play between Sweden and Denmark, I definitely choose Sweden. Sweden was crushed in the Nations League and you come to tell me that your team is good ? Currently, the place of Sweden, it is in the 2nd European division. Denmark is in the 1st division. Bye bye bye.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
In any case, if you ask me which team I prefer to play between Sweden and Denmark, I definitely choose Sweden. Sweden was crushed in the Nations League and you come to tell me that your team is good ? Currently, the place of Sweden, it is in the 2nd European division. Denmark is in the 1st division. Bye bye bye.

Denmark is not even top 15 in the world, you make it sound like they are some top team lol. About Sweden getting crushed, yes so was Croatia, i guess they suck too with your logic. 2nd? I think you mean Leauge B. You sure we should not be in League C or D instead?

But fine, you can make argument that Denmark is better. But its impossile to make arguments that Norway is better. They have not done anything better than us for many years. But they have many good young players, so probaly they will be better than us very soon, we will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casanova

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Do you still insist? You're heavy.

Belgium largely outperformed Sweden between 1980 and 1990 without a break. After 92-94, Belgium regains the upper hand until 2002. Then after 2004-08, Belgium takes the upper hand again. In 40 years, Belgium has been better than Sweden 30 years.

Are you really this bitter that we just beat you in Handball? I mean, you obviously got a grudge on us for some reason since you want to tell us that we suck even though results speaks heavily against it.

I do however agree that Denmark is a good soccer country as well.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
You got any statistics or facts to back up this outlandish claim?
Compare the names on Sweden's u-21 teams from 2010 to 2016 with the names on the senior squad. It is not all that hard to see a pattern.

There could be several explanations to why it happens:

• Many guys with foreign sounding names are early bloomers whilst the ones with swedish names develop later
  • Systematic choosing swedish names above others when it comes to the senior team where everything is on the line
  • Sweden plays it safe more than other countries of a similar stature, players make their debut in the national team much later. Those who have other options see friends making other national teams at an earlier age and choose "their other country" when they come calling offering games at a senior level

It is likely a combination of these. Ten years ago a 25 years old player was considered young on the national team. It is getting better though.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Are you really this bitter that we just beat you in Handball? I mean, you obviously got a grudge on us for some reason since you want to tell us that we suck even though results speaks heavily against it.

I do however agree that Denmark is a good soccer country as well.

The debate started long before the 1/2 Final and if you reread the entire topic, you will notice that I defended Handball. Yes Sweden is a great nation of Hockey and Handball. But when it comes to Soccer, this is absolutely not the case and it is your nationalism that refuses you to see this reality. Croatia is better than Sweden. Yes Sweden has beaten Croatia 1 time in the Nations League but Croatia is better than Sweden. I admit, however, that before 1996, Sweden was always better than Croatia, but that's because the country did not exist.

Reactions: mattihp

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Generally before 20 - 30 + x Years Sweden was a great sport nation sometimes world class in Tennis, Handball, Table-Tennis, football(Soccer) and Hockey of course.
Today Sweden are only in hockey a Top-Nation and it seems like in Handball again(But not a powerhouse like in past). But in other sports the swedes has enormously slacked off.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Compare the names on Sweden's u-21 teams from 2010 to 2016 with the names on the senior squad. It is not all that hard to see a pattern.

There could be several explanations to why it happens:

• Many guys with foreign sounding names are early bloomers whilst the ones with swedish names develop later
  • Systematic choosing swedish names above others when it comes to the senior team where everything is on the line
  • Sweden plays it safe more than other countries of a similar stature, players make their debut in the national team much later. Those who have other options see friends making other national teams at an earlier age and choose "their other country" when they come calling offering games at a senior level

It is likely a combination of these. Ten years ago a 25 years old player was considered young on the national team. It is getting better though.
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here? Are you saying the WJC teams in 2010-2016 had non-Swedish sounding names on them except for Mika Zibanejad, & Dmytro Timashov?

If you want an issue with the Swedish senior team selection system, look at them never picking guys playing in the AHL, and hating picking NHL players with only 1 season under their belt.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here? Are you saying the WJC teams in 2010-2016 had non-Swedish sounding names on them except for Mika Zibanejad, & Dmytro Timashov?

If you want an issue with the Swedish senior team selection system, look at them never picking guys playing in the AHL, and hating picking NHL players with only 1 season under their belt.
Football.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
The debate started long before the 1/2 Final and if you reread the entire topic, you will notice that I defended Handball. Yes Sweden is a great nation of Hockey and Handball. But when it comes to Soccer, this is absolutely not the case and it is your nationalism that refuses you to see this reality. Croatia is better than Sweden. Yes Sweden has beaten Croatia 1 time in the Nations League but Croatia is better than Sweden. I admit, however, that before 1996, Sweden was always better than Croatia, but that's because the country did not exist.

So history started today? Earlier accomplishments doesnt matter at all when determing how good a country is? And still, why are we top20 according to the world rankings and are playing in the Euros this summer, when in your mind a superior team in Norway is not?

We are bad because you follow a second rate league (Ligue 1) and you hate our players who play in better leagues.

Since you dont provide any relevant facts supporting your claim that we suck at football, historically or present, im just going to give you one of my favorite sayings. You cant tell a donkey its stupid, because it wont understand anyway.

Also, we beat you in the qualifiers to World Cup 2018 - a tournament you won. We were the only team that beat you through the qualifiers and main tournament. Such a shitty football country Sweden...

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
So history started today? Earlier accomplishments doesnt matter at all when determing how good a country is? And still, why are we top20 according to the world rankings and are playing in the Euros this summer, when in your mind a superior team in Norway is not?

We are bad because you follow a second rate league (Ligue 1) and you hate our players who play in better leagues.

Since you dont provide any relevant facts supporting your claim that we suck at football, historically or present, im just going to give you one of my favorite sayings. You cant tell a donkey its stupid, because it wont understand anyway.

Also, we beat you in the qualifiers to World Cup 2018 - a tournament you won. We were the only team that beat you through the qualifiers and main tournament. Such a shitty football country Sweden...

When nationalism makes you stupid. I bow to the great Swedish football team which makes all of Europe dream and makes me jealous.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

It is not realted to your argument, since mathip was talking about soccer, but anyway: Patrik Nemeth, Jeremy Boyce, Lucas Raymond, Nikola Pasic, Oliver Kylington and of course Andre Burakovsky.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
It is not realted to your argument, since mathip was talking about soccer, but anyway: Patrik Nemeth, Jeremy Boyce, Lucas Raymond, Nikola Pasic, Oliver Kylington and of course Andre Burakovsky.
Pasic, & Raymond are a little too young to have played at the 2010-2015 WJC's, and Oliver's only WJC was 2017 :)

If you want to know why I didn't include the rest in there, though: Patrik+André are common Swedish names, just uncommon lastnames(and not too far removed from the country), which is why I didn't include them. Boyce there's a point there, but Jeremy isn't too out there, and his full name is more Swedish, having a double lastname(or w/e they're called again), and having it be completed by Rotevall.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Pasic, & Raymond are a little too young to have played at the 2010-2015 WJC's, and Oliver's only WJC was 2017 :)

If you want to know why I didn't include the rest in there, though: Patrik+André are common Swedish names, just uncommon lastnames(and not too far removed from the country), which is why I didn't include them. Boyce there's a point there, but Jeremy isn't too out there, and his full name is more Swedish, having a double lastname(or w/e they're called again), and having it be completed by Rotevall.

Yes, my bad about Pasic, Raymond and Kylington.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Hate soccer football diveball or whats it called. I thought this thread was about hockey. And that the international tournaments refer to hockey. Sweden got good depth but not so good top skill development. Good enough to fight about medals. But probably not gold.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Generally before 20 - 30 + x Years Sweden was a great sport nation sometimes world class in Tennis, Handball, Table-Tennis, football(Soccer) and Hockey of course.
Today Sweden are only in hockey a Top-Nation and it seems like in Handball again(But not a powerhouse like in past). But in other sports the swedes has enormously slacked off.
Since the thread is off the rails.. whatever happened to the tennis in Sweden? My own Czechs are down in the men's side but quite high on the womens side.

I seem to recall a steady stream of Top 10 swedes in tennis and that seems to have faded a little. Why?

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Since the thread is off the rails.. whatever happened to the tennis in Sweden? My own Czechs are down in the men's side but quite high on the womens side.

I seem to recall a steady stream of Top 10 swedes in tennis and that seems to have faded a little. Why?
I don t know! I hope some swedes can answer the questions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->