Are Sweden becoming worse?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
These things tend to go in cycles (seems like yesterday Finland couldn't produce high-end talent)...and in this case I think as much, if not more, about other countries rising as it is Sweden having an actual decline.

I repeat to myself I really don't understand this feeling of decline. Since 2017, Sweden have released 2 top 12 players from the draft. It had never happened two years in a row before. The series is expected to continue at least until 2022.

There have never been so many Swedish players in the NHL, so many players selected for the draft, the Sweden squad has never been so good on EA Sports.

Sweden have never had so much depth as goalkeepers, defenders and attackers. 10 years ago, Sweden had half as many players in the NHL. Above all, there are young players who will be very dominant (Pettersson, Dahlin). Other than Backstrom, I don't see any old players among the best Swedish players.

If there was a decline, we should have talked about it 5 years ago. But not now when Sweden have just had 2 (real) No. 1 draft picks, have just been U18 world champions for the first time and are coming off an incredible U20 unbeaten streak in Preliminary Round. So ok, the last tournament was missed. But the coming 2002/2003 generation (Wallstedt, Eklund, Raymond, Holtz, Edvinsson, Lysell) is very strong.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
I repeat to myself I really don't understand this feeling of decline. Since 2017, Sweden have released 2 top 12 players from the draft. It had never happened two years in a row before. The series is expected to continue at least until 2022.

There have never been so many Swedish players in the NHL, so many players selected for the draft, the Sweden squad has never been so good on EA Sports.

Sweden have never had so much depth as goalkeepers, defenders and attackers. 10 years ago, Sweden had half as many players in the NHL. Above all, there are young players who will be very dominant (Pettersson, Dahlin). Other than Backstrom, I don't see any old players among the best Swedish players.

If there was a decline, we should have talked about it 5 years ago. But not now when Sweden have just had 2 (real) No. 1 draft picks, have just been U18 world champions for the first time and are coming off an incredible U20 unbeaten streak in Preliminary Round. So ok, the last tournament was missed. But the coming 2002/2003 generation (Wallstedt, Eklund, Raymond, Holtz, Edvinsson, Lysell) is very strong.

What was Finland football a while ago?!

But now we have a real Pukki-party goin' on in football. Like that in Norwich. Don't even try to destroy that (Camp Sweden?!).

Coz; we Finland people like to party believe or not. Pukki Party by trapezoid

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Sweden could literally send two different sets of 'Top 6' D and still be a gold medal threat.

Adding Petterson and Dahlin to the current crop is amazing.

I repeat, I'd kill for this problem.

No idea how old Hoglander for the Nuck's is but he is looking real good too!

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Sweden World Cup 2018 :

Olsen, Lustig, Lindelof, Grandqvist, Olsson, Augustinsson, Larsson, Ekdal, Berg, Forsberg, Guidetti, Johnsson, Svensson, Helander, Hiljemark, Krafth, Claesson, Jansson, Rohden, Toivonen, Durmaz, Thelin, Nordfeldt

Apart from Ibrahimovic (40 years old), no really talented footballer. At least not from my French point of view. Sweden is very poor in Football. Norway has a significantly stronger younger generation, Denmark has been significantly stronger over the past 25 years.

Handball is the 2nd major sport in Sweden but also in Europe.

You say things will change and I agree. I know that in Stockholm and Malmo there are young community football clubs where there are hardly any Swedish natives. Young Swedish natives or European immigrants seem to concentrate on ice hockey.

Sweden is very strong in hockey, there are a lot of extremely talented and skillful young people. Over 100 Swedish players play in NHL. Twenty years ago, there were only 40.

A national Olympic team that would be exclusively made up of players with a score of 84 and above on an EA Sports game (except the third GK).

A 2021 Draft promotion that promises to be stronger than ever.
Handball is not the 2nd Major sport in Europe! Basketball is ahead of Handball.

Reactions: Ippenator

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Handball is not the 2nd Major sport in Europe! Basketball is ahead of Handball.

I don't think so. Handball is popular in almost all European countries. Basketball is popular in some European countries.

I am French and I can tell you that these two sports are at the same level of popularity far behind Football and Rugby. Yet France is the country where the NBA and Basketball have the most influence in Western Europe. In Germany, Poland, Northern Europe, Central Europe, Eastern Europe handball is ahead.

Basketball is really more popular in Italy, in Great Britain who do not have a great basketball culture. In Yugoslavia too, although Handball is very developed in Slovenia and Croatia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I don't think so. Handball is popular in almost all European countries. Basketball is popular in some European countries.

I am French and I can tell you that these two sports are at the same level of popularity far behind Football and Rugby. Yet France is the country where the NBA and Basketball have the most influence in Western Europe. In Germany, Poland, Northern Europe, Central Europe, Eastern Europe handball is ahead.

Basketball is really more popular in Italy, in Great Britain who do not have a great basketball culture. In Yugoslavia too, although Handball is very developed in Slovenia and Croatia.
Yes despite France NT is the powerhouse in the World is Basketball on same popularity level like Basketball. In Germany is Handball not clearly No 2. The DEL is little above HBL(Stongest league in the world) and DEL 2 is clearly ahead of HBL 2. Basketball in europe is very popular in Spain, Turkey, Greece, Russia. Popular in Germany, France, Poland, Czech, Finland etc.. In Europe there is a Basketball-Euro League with 18 Teams. Baksetball is much more meaningful in the World than Handball. This is thr reason why Bayern Munich to decide to built a Basketball Department.
When asked why FC Bayern did not found a Handball Club, Hoeneß said: handball plays a role in almost no country.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Yes despite France NT is the powerhouse in the World ist Basketball on same popularity lavel like Basketball. In Germany is Handball not clearly No 2. The DEL is little above HBL(Stongest league in the world) and DEL 2 is clearly ahead of HBL 2. Basketball in europe is very popular in Spain, Turkey, Greece, Russia. Popular in Germany, France, Poland, Czech, Finland etc.. In Europe there is a Basketball-Euro League with 18 Teams. Baksetball is much more meaningful in the World than Handball. This is thr reason why Bayern Munich to decide to built a Basketball Department.
When asked why FC Bayern did not found a Handball Club, Hoeneß said: handball plays a role in almost no country.

I am talking about popularity in Europe. Not in the world. Turkey and Russia are more Asian countries. Especially Turkey. Greece clearly yes but it is a small country.

I may be wrong because I have no idea about the reality in all countries. It depends on how you rate the popularity of a sport. In Germany, there are 750,000 license holders in Handball.

I can only speak emphatically for two countries that I know very well from having lived there: France and Spain.

In any case in France, I can assure you that Handball and Basketball are at the same level of popularity. Handball is the sport most practiced in schools with much more established school competitions. Both sports have the same visibility in the media. Basketball is no more popular than that in Spain. In the 80s there was a politic of the Spanish state to popularize basketball in school practice and there was a big fad in the 2000s when there were a lot of Spaniards in the NBA but the effect has subsided. As in France, basketball is at the same level as handball.

In any case, a sport where countries / regions like Germany, France, Spain, Poland, Scandinavia and Yugoslavia are competitive is not a sport that does not interest anyone in Europe.

It is only in Greece, Lithuania and Yugoslavia where basketball seems to be really popular in terms of what rugby represents for French.

Noted that the Spanish as well as the Portuguese, Italians and Argentines play a lot of Rink Hockey.

If these countries invest in ice rinks, it could become glance hockey countries.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I am talking about popularity in Europe. Not in the world. Turkey and Russia are more Asian countries. Especially Turkey. Greece clearly yes but it is a small country.

I may be wrong because I have no idea about the reality in all countries. It depends on how you rate the popularity of a sport. In Germany, there are 750,000 license holders in Handball.

I can only speak emphatically for two countries that I know very well from having lived there: France and Spain.

In any case in France, I can assure you that Handball and Basketball are at the same level of popularity. Handball is the sport most practiced in schools with much more established school competitions. Both sports have the same visibility in the media. Basketball is no more popular than that in Spain. In the 80s there was a politic of the Spanish state to popularize basketball in school practice and there was a big fad in the 2000s when there were a lot of Spaniards in the NBA but the effect has subsided. As in France, basketball is at the same level as handball.

In any case, a sport where countries / regions like Germany, France, Spain, Poland, Scandinavia and Yugoslavia are competitive is not a sport that does not interest anyone in Europe.

It is only in Greece, Lithuania and Yugoslavia where basketball seems to be really popular in terms of what rugby represents for French.

Noted that the Spanish as well as the Portuguese, Italians and Argentines play a lot of Rink Hockey.

If these countries invest in ice rinks, it could become glance hockey countries.
Sorry Russia and Turkey are a part of european sport. The most russians live in european part ofd them(till Ural). The professional Handball is not so popular than Basketball. Spain is a Basketball Powerhouse in Europe(NT + League). The german Hanball League(HBL) is the strongest League in the World. Do you hear something from this? Despite has this league(HBL) not a higher meaning than the DEL(Hockey). Europe has in addition a Basketball Euroleague(CSKA Moskow, Bayern Munich, Bacrelona, Real, Olympiakos, Istanbul etc are in this league). And again France is in Handball much more Powerhouse than in Basketball. Despite Handball is not more popular than Basketball.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Turkey or not that doesn't really change my analysis. The countries of North Africa are also very inclined towards Handball.

You talk to me about sports competition, I am talking about a number of practitioners.

However, handball is more focused on international competitions and you forget the existence of a Champions League, the equivalent of the Euroleague with clubs like PSG or Barça.

I live in France, I lived in Spain and I spend 2 months a year there, I know what I'm talking about when I say that the popularity of handball is equivalent to that of basketball in these countries.

Anyway this is not at all the debate of the topic. The subject concerns Swedish junior hockey.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden World Cup 2018 :

Olsen, Lustig, Lindelof, Grandqvist, Olsson, Augustinsson, Larsson, Ekdal, Berg, Forsberg, Guidetti, Johnsson, Svensson, Helander, Hiljemark, Krafth, Claesson, Jansson, Rohden, Toivonen, Durmaz, Thelin, Nordfeldt

Apart from Ibrahimovic (40 years old), no really talented footballer. At least not from my French point of view. Sweden is very poor in Football. Norway has a significantly stronger younger generation, Denmark has been significantly stronger over the past 25 years.

You say things will change and I agree. I know that in Stockholm and Malmo there are young community football clubs where there are hardly any Swedish natives. Young Swedish natives or European immigrants seem to concentrate on ice hockey.

Sweden is very strong in hockey, there are a lot of extremely talented and skillful young people. Over 100 Swedish players play in NHL. Twenty years ago, there were only 40.

A national Olympic team that would be exclusively made up of players with a score of 84 and above on an EA Sports game (except the third GK).

sweden often makes world cup and euro championship in football, so i would not say we are poor, we are decent. we dont have lots of famous skilled players in fotball but we are more like a hardworking smart team a bit like latvia is in hockey.

also 40 players in nhl is a good number.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Turkey or not that doesn't really change my analysis. The countries of North Africa are also very inclined towards Handball.

You talk to me about sports competition, I am talking about a number of practitioners.

However, handball is more focused on international competitions and you forget the existence of a Champions League, the equivalent of the Euroleague with clubs like PSG or Barça.

I live in France, I lived in Spain and I spend 2 months a year there, I know what I'm talking about when I say that the popularity of handball is equivalent to that of basketball in these countries.

Anyway this is not at all the debate of the topic. The subject concerns Swedish junior hockey.
Sorry Turkey is a member of european sport. All turkish clubs a participant in european competitions. Handball has two really strong leagues. The german HBL and the CL. In Basketball there are a Euro-League with 18 Teams. Again France is in Handball much stronger than in Basketball. Despite Basketball has the same popularity. And in Spain is Basketball much more popular. Spain is the big Basketball Powerhouse and the current World Champion.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Sweden World Cup 2018 :

We still have as many medals at the world cup as England, Spain and Belgium combined. Does it mean that they are poor too?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
@Lambo : Israel and Kazakhstan are in Asia and yet play European competitions. Australia is in Oceania and yet plays the Asian competitions. Turkey is by no means a European country. Neither geographically, nor geopolitically, nor culturally.

However, I live in France and Spain and I tell you sincerely about the situation in these countries by telling you that Handball and Basketball are at the same level of popularity very far behind Football but also behind Rugby ( for France), Tennis and Cycling. These two sports come next with Athletics and Swimming. I don't know where you live (North America, Northern Europe or Eastern Europe) but I find you very difficult to want to impose your point of view on a Franco-Spanish when he knows the situation in his country indefinitely more than you.

@Casanova : Sweden's good football performances are very old. I will waste my time debating a comparison between the level of Sweden and that of the countries you mention. Seen from France and Spain, Sweden is really not strong in Football. Absolutely nothing to do with Handball and Hockey.

That said, this is a hockey site, more specifically a topic that talks about Junior Sweden. I'm here to talk about Simon Edvinsson, Noah Ostlund, Alexander Suzmalev or Karl Sterner. If you want to talk about basketball or football, you have to go to more appropriate sites. In any case, it doesn't interest me, so the subject is closed. You don't even take my testimony into account anyway. Thank you.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
@Lambo : Israel and Kazakhstan are in Asia and yet play European competitions. Australia is in Oceania and yet plays the Asian competitions. Turkey is by no means a European country. Neither geographically, nor geopolitically, nor culturally.

However, I live in France and Spain and I tell you sincerely about the situation in these countries by telling you that Handball and Basketball are at the same level of popularity very far behind Football but also behind Rugby ( for France), Tennis and Cycling. These two sports come next with Athletics and Swimming. I don't know where you live (North America, Northern Europe or Eastern Europe) but I find you very difficult to want to impose your point of view on a Franco-Spanish when he knows the situation in his country indefinitely more than you.

@Casanova : Sweden's good football performances are very old. I will waste my time debating a comparison between the level of Sweden and that of the countries you mention. Seen from France and Spain, Sweden is really not strong in Football. Absolutely nothing to do with Handball and Hockey.

That said, this is a hockey site, more specifically a topic that talks about Junior Sweden. I'm here to talk about Simon Edvinsson, Noah Ostlund, Alexander Suzmalev or Karl Sterner. If you want to talk about basketball or football, you have to go to more appropriate sites. In any case, it doesn't interest me, so the subject is closed. You don't even take my testimony into account anyway. Thank you.
Okay a little part of Turkey is Europe(Istanbul). Yes we must to compare the sport events. Yes right Kazachstan, Israel is part of European sport.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
sweden often makes world cup and euro championship in football, so i would not say we are poor, we are decent. we dont have lots of famous skilled players in fotball but we are more like a hardworking smart team a bit like latvia is in hockey.

also 40 players in nhl is a good number.

You literally wrote in this thread that Sweden is falling behind Slovakia and Germany in hockey. Despite the fact that Sweden has almost 100 NHL players at the moment. Yet you yoursel are writing that 40 is a good number. How does this makes sense? Come on

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
You literally wrote in this thread that Sweden is falling behind Slovakia and Germany in hockey. Despite the fact that Sweden has almost 100 NHL players at the moment. Yet you yoursel are writing that 40 is a good number. How does this makes sense? Come on

the depth is there. but im worried about the skill level from u24

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
The 97/98 generation was weaker than the others. We knew it from the 2015 and 2016 Draft. But the following generations are better.As already said, Sweden have produced 2 top 12 draft players 4 years in a row and the streak is very likely to continue until at least 2022.

Wallstedt, Dahlin, Boqvist, Broberg, Soderstrom, Edvinsson, Salomonsson, Pettersson, Raymond, Holtz, Eklund, Persson, Ostlund

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
@Lambo
@Casanova : Sweden's good football performances are very old.

really. we beat france in euro 2012. advanced to qf in wc 2018. and qualifed once again for euro 2016 and 2020. also reached nations league a after winning our group over turkey, russia and beat croata not a while ago. nobody is saying we are a topnation, but claming we are terrible is not just true.

Reactions: Casanova

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

also when i think about it, it does not really matter even if we get 20 new superstars and still have the depth. why? becuse swedish hockey inserted a new rule last season that hitting is not allowed when a player dont have the puck. that rule is only in swedish hockey. swedish players are gonna lose the physicality, which is a important part in hockey. we are not gonna be able to handle the physicality of other nations. nobody in sweden is revolting against this, everyone is fine with it, it makes me sick. we are giving up on being a big hockey nation just to be "good guys".

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Ahead of Russia how?
Only Provorov would have a chance to make the team Sweden defense from Russia.

Sweden have much more depth at forward and on defence. Sweden have less high end first line talent, but are clearly better otherwise.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Only Provorov would have a chance to make the team Sweden defense from Russia.

Sweden have much more depth at forward and on defence. Sweden have less high end first line talent, but are clearly better otherwise.
LOL What swedish forward would make Team Russia again? Who does Sweden have in net? Yes, yes, the swedish D is top notch, but that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad