Are Sweden becoming worse?

ranchand

Nov 5, 2022
Kravtsov, Denisenko, Yakupov, Grigorenko, Goldobin, Sherbak, Y.Svechnikov
Juolevi, Honka, Puljujarvi, Vesalainen, Markus Granlund, Rajala
Hayton, Glass, Jost, Steenbergen, G.Reinhart, D.Pouliot, Gormley, Anthony etc
I wasn’t saying other nations haven’t had their “busts,” what im saying is that sweden seems to not be developing goal scorers at the same pace as other nations. They consistently develop elite D solid goaltending and good all around forwards but seem to lack in developing dynamic goal scorers.

Reactions: Czechboy

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I know this thread is kinda trolling from the beginning but I have to say this.

- Sweden produces top prospects every year, almost every year at least 3-5 swedes goes in 1st round
- Swedish teams dominate the CHL, no one else is even close to them. Our finnish league is like a beer league compared to yours.
- Swedish players win Stanley Cup every year, almost every NHL team has at least one swede in their roster
- Swedish team has nowadays became a dominant force at U18 WJC
- Swedish national mens team takes home gold regularly, maybe not past couple of years but in the upcoming years, lets say maybe in 5 years you will win 1-2 gold medals (You never have to wait 16 years between your victories like your eastern neighbor for example)
- Sweden is widely considered as the second or third best ice hockey nation in the world

The only flaw I see, is that you dont seem to get the gold medal at U20s, you usually fail at this tournament(if you consider lesser medals failing). But I can assure you that your recent success at U18s will help you to win U20 sometime in the near future.

If I was a swede, I would be proud of my hockey nation. And its not even your top sport goddammit.

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I know this thread is kinda trolling from the beginning but I have to say this.

- Sweden produces top prospects every year, almost every year at least 3-5 swedes goes in 1st round
- Swedish teams dominate the CHL, no one else is even close to them. Our finnish league is like a beer league compared to yours.
- Swedish players win Stanley Cup every year, almost every NHL team has at least one swede in their roster
- Swedish team has nowadays became a dominant force at U18 WJC
- Swedish national mens team takes home gold regularly, maybe not past couple of years but in the upcoming years, lets say maybe in 5 years you will win 1-2 gold medals (You never have to wait 16 years between your victories like your eastern neighbor for example)
- Sweden is widely considered as the second or third best ice hockey nation in the world

The only flaw I see, is that you dont seem to get the gold medal at U20s, you usually fail at this tournament(if you consider lesser medals failing). But I can assure you that your recent success at U18s will help you to win U20 sometime in the near future.

If I was a swede, I would be proud of my hockey nation. And its not even your top sport goddammit.
I wish hockey became as popular in Sweden as in Finland.

And that Sweden always would send "tre kronor" on a free online tv service. Only rich people can afford to play ice hockey, at least let poor people watch it. Charge more for SHL and NHL, but give the national team to the people for free.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I wish hockey became as popular in Sweden as in Finland.

And that Sweden always would send "tre kronor" on a free online tv service. Only rich people can afford to play ice hockey, at least let poor people watch it. Charge more for SHL and NHL, but give the national team to the people for free.
The only rich people can afford to play isn't as true as it was 20 years ago. Many towns with more than 1000 inhabitants have very good to excellent practice rinks and cheap used equipment or equipment one can borrow. But that is not as enticing as to pick up a pair of football boots and become the next Zlatan. Forsberg and Sundin are forgotten and to be honest, Pettersson and Dahlin don't have the same effect on kids.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
The only rich people can afford to play isn't as true as it was 20 years ago. Many towns with more than 1000 inhabitants have very good to excellent practice rinks and cheap used equipment or equipment one can borrow. But that is not as enticing as to pick up a pair of football boots and become the next Zlatan. Forsberg and Sundin are forgotten and to be honest, Pettersson and Dahlin don't have the same effect on kids.
Hockeycamps and driving around the country aint free.

Players will not affect kids who never see them play. The National team used to be free to watch.

Reactions: mattihp

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
They seem to have a pretty strong U20 squad coming to the World Juniors in Halifax, could be wrong.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Hmm.. I disagree. 5 swedes in top 25 scoring in the league. Top two scoring defenseman are swedes. Top GAA is Iinus Ullmark atm...

Smörgåsbord of talent these days

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino