Are Orr's days numbered?

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
This is just a stupid comment. When should someone 'need' to fight? How will the coaches know that before the game started? How do you quantify the intimidation factor? How does a person who plays 3 minutes a night against the other 4th line intimidate 1st liners?

Because when are getting set to play Philly, as an example, and you look at their lineup for that night's game and see they are dressing Rosehill, Rinaldo, and now maybe Stortini. Then you think...hmmm.... do I want Rinaldo and Rosehill taking runs at my D, or some of my guys without having to deal with Orr or McLaren..... Your answer should be a very quick "NO".

And if you think Bodie, Komarov, Clarkson can hang in there with the likes of those guys - well sorry.....

So the answer to the question is no, his days are not done, nor should they be. He should be available when needed.

Otherwise - we'll be hearing people crying about getting pushed around like we heard before the Leafs signed Orr.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Because when are getting set to play Philly, as an example, and you look at their lineup for that night's game and see they are dressing Rosehill, Rinaldo, and now maybe Stortini. Then you think...hmmm.... do I want Rinaldo and Rosehill taking runs at my D, or some of my guys without having to deal with Orr or McLaren..... Your answer should be a very quick "NO".

And if you think Bodie, Komarov, Clarkson can hang in there with the likes of those guys - well sorry.....

So the answer to the question is no, his days are not done, nor should they be. He should be available when needed.

Otherwise - we'll be hearing people crying about getting pushed around like we heard before the Leafs signed Orr.

I agree.

Problem is there are very few teams with this mentality left.

Would probably help the Flyers if they could dress a 4th line sometimes :laugh:

TiMo15

Nov 8, 2008
I don't even think that we need an enforcer anymore. I know that he can fight, but other than that he really can't contribute anything. In today's world, the 4th line should be able to play more than 5 mins with no defensive liability. They still have to play tough and control the puck in both zone. Orr really doesn't fit at all. I like him, but he is not fitting in the team right now.

Like Bordie, he is big but can skate and able to pass and control the puck. He can also chip in couple goals and assists plus sometimes he can play on the 3rd line if someone gets injury. Those are the 4th line player the team needs.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Yes. Devane and Broll are 4th liners that can play , fight and intimidate.

At the AHL level....

Don't get me wrong, I like them as Leafs one day. Broll to me, will be a good board guy, grinder type. Not sure how he will fare against guys like Gazdic, Rinaldo, Rosehill as far as fighting goes. Devane - has grown on me, I wasn't a big fan of how high he has chosen. I saw his few years in Plymouth, and he, IMO, was not a very good fighter for his size. His last year, he played in a lot of situations, and put up points, plus he can skate. Again, can he hang with the big boys..... it remains to be seen.

I hope they can!

They sure can't rely on guys like Ashton, and Clarkson to do their fighting (when needed) - Ashton is a terrible fighter.

hockeyfanz*

I agree.

Problem is there are very few teams with this mentality left.

Would probably help the Flyers if they could dress a 4th line sometimes :laugh:

Good teams don't waste roster spots on meatheads who can punch out another meatheads lights. They dont.

LA/Chi/STL/Boston/NYR/Sharks etc...

No one dimensional, skating challenged knuckle dragging idiots on those squads. Do we want to win hockey games or just be happy with classically bad hockey teams and be able to punch out anybody.

If its the latter..then the Leafs are set and don't need to do anything. They are the goonshow champions.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
We don't need an enforcer until one of the other teams' idiots goons up one of our best players.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
He's done. Enforcers are becoming more rare and rare. Teams prefer energy guys who can play hockey and occasionally fight. Guys like Kyle Clifford are what today's 4th lines should include.

Crash Test Domi*

Toronto was nuetured last season because of what UPPER management did to Orr and McLaren. THe season before were not even a healthy scratch once. Carlylse said "if they can make a fist they will play". Toronto needs a Colton Orr. He is your policeman. He is what makes players think twice about taking the head of a Kessel.

This team needs both of them in the lineup regularly. This is not women's hockey. How quickly you turncoats forget how good this team was the season before when we had "truculence".

Traded Brown
Traded Fraser
Sent McLaren down
Benched Orr
Let Gleason walk.

All of these moves were not the coaches moves, it came from way up above. Remember last season we beated the Sabres in a linebrawl. That brand of hockey is not welcomed by Rogers/Bell.

Fire George Cope and Tim L. Let the coach choose who he can play and this team can succeed like it did two seasons ago.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
His days were numbered since he got extended. He'll be gone after this year when his contract expires. He's still an intimidating enforcer but he's a worse player and probably not as good of a fighter. Another team might pick him up like Florida did with Thornton but ideally he'd retire after his contract is done. This season he'll probably be an occasional player in the lineup like he was last season. Personally I really want to see Devane on the team. Better fight and player than McLaren and Orr.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
We don't need an enforcer until one of the other teams' idiots goons up one of our best players.

Yeah I'm torn on the whole enforcer thing. One the one hand you don't want to be pushed around and have guys taking liberties with your players. On the other hand. more often than not, they can't take a regular shift and provide little else when they do.

The Promised Land

Dec 30, 2013
If not for Carlyle, Orr and McLaren wouldn't have even been NHLers the past few seasons.

Orr has gone 82 games without a single point...98 without a goal.

McLaren is Gretzky by comparison...although he had 0 points last season in 27 games, he had 5 points (!!!) in 35 games the season before.

In a combined 81 games last season they had 16 shots on goal...

There's really no excuse. It's downright pathetic that we're even still talking about them and the possibility that they'll be in the lineup.

Hopefully upper management can pressure Carlyle into keeping them out this season otherwise there's no doubt we'll see AT LEAST one of them in every single game.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
if they don't fight - they're not useful. i can count on one hand how many fights those two had - I think it was like five, and after the Parros fight (eeesh, still can't even think about that one) - any 'fight' Orr had basically had him looking at the ref to bail him out.

And most teams just simply stopped fighting us period - because they knew the Leafs got off on it.

neither player scored a single point last season.

we can still be amazingly troll-esque, without having them. i don't think there isn't anyone who wouldn't fight - but more importantly - we don't have to engage. let the other team take the 2 + and we go on the powerplay.

I don't really agree with that, but I understand your point. They are primarily fighters, but they still lay down heavy hits. There's also the intimidation factor where...who wants to fight with Orr/McLaren?

The main reason I see this team needing at least one of them is not because we need to engage, but the opposite...we need to defend our players. This team is gonna troll hard, but what happens if they do engage and get the +2 and we get the powerplay, but we lose someone onto the LTIR?

Someone mentioned in some thread that players don't like to be on the receiving end of hits every time they play the puck, and with the right circumstances (losing, personal slump, some specific play) they could pull a Scott.

They don't need to play every game as I stated before, just when we face a physically tougher team. In addition, who would you want sitting in the pressbox? A skilled player who could benefit with consistent playing time in the A, or Orr/McLaren?

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
He should have retired last season. He doesn't do anything else except fight, and take stupid penalties.

I remember Cherry saying Orr could have been a 20 goal scorer if he was given some playing time:laugh:... although they do need a better bottom 6 and need to give those lines a bit more time than they have been getting.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why is he still here? It's so wrong that he's one of the longest serving Leafs...

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
It does feel like the enforcer went pretty much extinct in a pretty short amount of time.

I don't see a useful role for him. Clarkson can be our new rag doll if he can't do anything else.

hockeyfanz*

It does feel like the enforcer went pretty much extinct in a pretty short amount of time.

I don't see a useful role for him. Clarkson can be our new rag doll if he can't do anything else.

Yes at the very least he can be a punching bag for 5.75M lol.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Orr is one of the few "goons" "tough guys" "enforcers" or what ever you like to call it, that could potentially keep playing in the current NHL style. He's got okay... Speed and he can hit, so maybe a game here and there when we may need some more energy or toughness (i.e vs Boston). Otherwise he will see very little games played.

All that said unless he's dropping the gloves every other or every third game he plays he won't be playing at all. This year was pathetic.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Danny Grabovski @dannyd1976

FWIW I met Shanahan last month and asked him if he thought there was still a place for fighting in hockey. He said no, which is encouraging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad