Are Orr's days numbered?

hockeyfanz*

But..but...he is so important to the success of the franchise. I hear the LA Kings are in the market for a useless 4th line goon who can barely skate. Its the only thing missing from their quest for a championship repeat.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
He should be 100% done.

Nobody says you have to "back up" your agitators with fights. Let the other team get frustrated and take penalties, much better plan. Worst case you throw Clarkson out there and wish him luck.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
I don't think Orr or McLaren will be regulars next season, which is great. If they want to keep one around as a 13th/14th forward I wouldn't mind - if so, I hope its McLaren, Orr barely fights anymore.

BTW, here are the # of fights for each player last season (according to hockeyfights.com)

McLaren 9
Clarkson 9
Orr 6
Bodie 4
Lupul 4
Fraser 3 (in TOR)
Gleason 3 (in TOR)
Ashton 3
Phaneuf 2
Broll 1
Kessel 1
Kadri 1
Smithson 1
Gardiner 1

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
The days of dressing players who are only there to fight have been over for quite some time now. The best teams don't dress these kinds of guys, and if they do, they never see the ice during the playoff's anyway. In a salary cap world you need more from your players than just one thing.

I enjoy fighting in hockey. I like Orr well enough, and feel he performs his role well. However, a team like the Kings is a perfect example of a hockey club with "grit" and "character" that have been very successful and don't need to ice one or two fighters. Even the Bruins for all their "toughness" haven't iced a pure goon in a while. (Shawn Thornton is actually more useful than just for fighting).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think Orr or McLaren will be regulars next season, which is great. If they want to keep one around as a 13th/14th forward I wouldn't mind - if so, I hope its McLaren, Orr barely fights anymore.

BTW, here are the # of fights for each player last season (according to hockeyfights.com)

McLaren 9
Clarkson 9
Orr 6
Bodie 4
Lupul 4
Fraser 3 (in TOR)
Gleason 3 (in TOR)
Ashton 3
Phaneuf 2
Broll 1
Kessel 1
Kadri 1
Smithson 1
Gardiner 1

Does Polak fight?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
He should be 100% done.

Nobody says you have to "back up" your agitators with fights. Let the other team get frustrated and take penalties, much better plan. Worst case you throw Clarkson out there and wish him luck.

I wish that was the worst case regardless of the situtation

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Orr and McClaren have been figured out. They excelled in that short season as did Fraser.

Sending out goons at the time did a lot of good. Nobody wants to fight them anymore. Thus when they are on the ice they are actually playing hockey - which is not good for anyone.
Bodie - Holland - Frattin should be a big step up

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
As someone who likes Orr a lot, I think he's done. He didn't do much of anything last year and with Devane and Broll, we have two up-and-coming tough guys who can play hockey at a higher level than Orr. I still think you need someone on the team who can go with the heavies of the league, but if we want our 4th line playing 10 minutes a night, it will have to be Broll or Devane. Fighting is still a part of the game, but we need our 4th line to be able to play hockey. Bordeleau and Gazdic are the newer breed that can actually play a couple shifts.

Orr and McLaren were a HUGE part of our identity when we made the playoffs. Without them, we wouldn't have looked nearly as tough. Don't forget the way Orr played Chara in the playoffs either. Orr has all my respect, but he just can't play anymore.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
It appears that Shanahan/ Nonis's "culture change" is a complete remodel of the bottom 6. Its not what I expected but I think it will have a big difference on the team.

I hate to say it, but it looks like maybe the management team is starting to get it and adapt to the new NHL. The top teams in the league no longer have a checking line and the bottom lines are now skilled guys with grit and special skills talent.

Players like Holland, Komarov, Frattin, Ashton, Santorelli, Gauthier, Biggs, Bodie, Kontioli, Clarkson, etc will all get chances to make the team in a bottom six capacity. I doubt Nonis is done and we'll probably see another signing/ trade before the end of the summer. One dimensional players with no skills (pure fighters) are a dying breed in the NHL.

I'm OKAY with keeping Orr around as a 13th forward in-case we play another team who still is clinging to their fighters. However I'd keep Caryle on a short leash. Nonis needs to waive/ trade Orr if Caryle starts playing him 4 minutes again over someone else who is more deserving of the ice-time.

CalgaryLeaf*

I hope he's gone...I think the days of having a designated fighter who can't play hockey at high speeds is over...Teams need 4 good lines to compete over a long season.

Ideally you have 3 good lines who can score and the 4th line being a defensive shutdown unit that brings a ton of energy...If you're really fortunate a 4th line that can pop in some goals too.

One day I can see Gauthier as the 4th line shutdown center.

nussell

Nov 29, 2013
Ontario
orr will sit in the press box and will be used to play teams that have there own goons. Boston, Florida, ect...

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
Does Polak fight? Don't open that door!

(really though, he only had 3 fights last year and 2 the year before that)

:handclap: Not sure that any of his punches actually landed, but the intent was there.

I'm guessing Orr plays less than 15 games this season with the Leafs. The role of the enforcer has become extinct in today's NHL.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Lets hope so. Time to hand over the reigns to Broll/Devane and co.

PureTruculence

Jan 23, 2014
I believe that one of Orr or Mclaren will be a semi-regular 4th liner this year. I believe that this will be Orr's last year in the league as his contract will be up after this year. I honestly believe Orr had a lingering injury last year that caused him not to be able to fight as much.

He had a hell of a year when we made the playoffs, hopefully he can go out on another decent year. One of my favourites from recent Leafs. By the way, Orr is the longest lasting Leaf on this current roster (I think).

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
If Nonis doesn't want Orr or McLaren on this team then why are they still here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad