Are Jets best CDN team again this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Didn't realize that Winnipeg got their season back on track already. After the first few weeks of the season, everyone thought they would be a basement dweller with the defense they have.

I think the top 2 are Winnipeg and Edmonton

Then the group of Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, and Calgary all seem pretty close together. Ottawa is last and not much needs to be said about that.

Toronto is Ottawa level right now but I'm not optimistic enough to think they'll finish that way. Montreal is worlds better than Toronto right now but odds are Toronto finishes higher in the standings when they get their horses back

Reactions: jetsforever

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Edmonton chirping Winnipeg is like Winnipeg chirping Saskatchewan, it's all the same ****.

On topic, the Jets haven't been great but Hellebuyck is easily the best goaltender on a Canadian team at this point and is masking a lot of deficiencies.

Yep.

"Winnipeg is a cold city that sucks!"

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
they literally have the worst xGF% in the entire league
Even though I agree with you that the Jets are not playing great hockey (see my last post). I sometimes wonder if you just sort standings by xGF% and sort players by ESP/60 and run around this site going OMG YOU'RE WRONG HAVE YOU SEEN THE xGF??? HAVE YOU SEEN THE ESP/60!! CHECK OUT THIS CHART!

You need some nuance in your posting my dude.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
As for a real answer, we are doing FAR better than I thought we would be but I don't know if it is sustainable.

We have an elite forward core that is capable of doing great things.

We have a goaltender that playing fantastic at the moment.

We have a d-core that scares the living crap out of me at all times.

Kulikov, Sbisa, and Bitetto are not good.

Bealieu has been alright.

Pionk and Poolman have been surprisingly good. Not elite in any sense....just good and I like that.

Morrissey is still fantastic but has taken time to adjust to being "THE GUY" on defense.

While we've strung some wins together, it feels like we give up too many chances for it to be sustainable.

If the offense dries up or Helle becomes mortal again, we could be in for some rough stretches.

That being said, I still think we make the playoffs and could surprise a few teams.

It's all about consistency at this point.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Yep.

"Winnipeg is a cold city that sucks!"

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Winnipeg's weather is way harsher. Not only do you have to contend with Arctic death weather like we do, you have all that wonderful humidity due to the great lakes.

A dry cold season is easy compared to Winnipeg's game of thrones style winters.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
As much as I hate to say it, I still think the Leafs turn it around this season and make the playoffs.

Edmonton, Montreal and Winnipeg are all overachieving right now IMO, so any of those four could finish first among the Canadian teams. Before I get grilled by those fanbases: Edmonton still has no depth scoring, Montreal has some injuries now and is the opposite of Edmonton in that they rely on depth scoring, Winnipeg has won more OT/shootout and come-from-behind games than anyone.

Way too early to say.

Yeah i agree on the Leafs. They're similar with the Jets in that they both had a statement regular season 2 years ago, and last year the 1st half was enough to put themselves in a good spot leading to complacent hockey the rest of the way.

Great thing about sucking is that it's a wakeup call and forces you to work harder. Leafs are realizing that right now and after building their game + getting their healthy lineup for the first time this season they will be hunting heads in the standings big time and probably play their best hockey since the new kids era started.

Jets got a bit of a headstart with losing half of their dcore in the summer so they knew from the get go it was going to be difficult, and now the hard work is starting to pay off.

I love how the Leafs nation is imploding though. If i was a fan i'd just welcome this adversity. Maybe this time going into the playoffs they're actually playing better hockey than the Bruins.

But yeah, i think the Leafs firing on all cylinders will be better than the current group of Jets. But what's great for Winnipeg is, as long as they're in a good spot down the stretch, they can always go out and acquire a top 4 D and maybe some depth on the bottom 6 and hey, suddenly the team looks a lot more complete again.

At the end of the day there's a reason why the Jets and Leafs earned their titles as top teams over the last few years, the talent is too much to ignore.

Habs on the other hand are still just slightly above average in my opinion and they're just continuing where they left off last year, i doubt they have another gear or two to get to. Oilers can get better as a team, but being carried by the two guys is always going to be the case until they improve their team in other areas.

Im just not feeling it with the Flames. Canucks are a question mark still.

Reactions: FireChevy

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Winnipeg's weather is way harsher. Not only do you have to contend with Arctic death weather like we do, you have all that wonderful humidity due to the great lakes.

A dry cold season is easy compared to Winnipeg's game of thrones style winters.
We're not near the Great Lakes, though we do have some great lakes.

lol.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
As much as I hate to say it, I still think the Leafs turn it around this season and make the playoffs.

Edmonton, Montreal and Winnipeg are all overachieving right now IMO, so any of those four could finish first among the Canadian teams. Before I get grilled by those fanbases: Edmonton still has no depth scoring, Montreal has some injuries now and is the opposite of Edmonton in that they rely on depth scoring, Winnipeg has won more OT/shootout and come-from-behind games than anyone.

Way too early to say.

I don't see it. Management is ok with not making any changes and the Leafs are getting to where they need a historic run to make it in the division they are in. Management has failed badly and should be gone, so should coaching.

At the very least coaching should be changed right now, and a shakeup trade should be worked on right now as well in case it has to happen. However, both coach and management are happy with status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad