Are Jets best CDN team again this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Probably the oilers but the jets are 7-2-1 in their last ten for those wondering why the jets are being mentioned.
Which is interesting because I keep hearing people say that Edmonton is only surviving off their hot start, but they're also 6-2-2 in their last 10 and only 1 of those wins came in OT.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
One line teams get easily defeated in the playoffs.
And that's why last time the Oilers were in the playoffs they separated McDavid and Draisaitl. Seemed to work out pretty well as they were a couple bad/missed goalie interference calls away from advancing to the WCF in 6 games before eventually losing in 7 games.

Not to say that the Oilers would have any guarantee of playoff success if they make it as anything can happen, but I think most would be happy if they just make the playoffs as most expected next year to be the year they'd start pushing for playoffs when more of their AHL forward and D prospects were developed and cap space begins to open to improve the bottom 6.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
As much as I hate to say it, I still think the Leafs turn it around this season and make the playoffs.

Edmonton, Montreal and Winnipeg are all overachieving right now IMO, so any of those four could finish first among the Canadian teams. Before I get grilled by those fanbases: Edmonton still has no depth scoring, Montreal has some injuries now and is the opposite of Edmonton in that they rely on depth scoring, Winnipeg has won more OT/shootout and come-from-behind games than anyone.

Way too early to say.

Reactions: hn777

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Edmonton still has no depth scoring
tenor.gif

Our 3rd and 4th lines have been scoring quite a bit in the last few games. Business has picked up.

Reactions: Zerotonine

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Helle is carrying the Jets right now. the Jets rank near the bottom of the league in all shot quality and quantity against stats, and includes one of the worst PKs in the league (although it has been improving this month). Oilers are the best in terms of pts% and regulation wins

Reactions: hn777

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
tenor.gif

Our 3rd and 4th lines have been scoring quite a bit in the last few games. Business has picked up.
My point is more that you shouldn't expect the whole season to stay the same. You'll get weird stretches from any team. The Leafs are better than they appear during a 6 game losing streak, for instance. Maybe Edmonton's fourth line gets goals a few games in a row. It's not enough to change expectations over the whole season.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
As much as I hate to say it, I still think the Leafs turn it around this season and make the playoffs.

• Edmonton, Montreal and Winnipeg are all overachieving right now IMO, so any of those four could finish first among the Canadian teams. Before I get grilled by those fanbases: Edmonton still has no depth scoring, Montreal has some injuries now and is the opposite of Edmonton in that they rely on depth scoring, Winnipeg has won more OT/shootout and come-from-behind games than anyone.

Way too early to say.
It's funny how everyone keeps saying it's to early for teams like Edmonton to judge. Esp after a win last night over San Jose which they embarrassed after being embarrassed by the same team less then a week earlier. To me that shows this team is for real. Esp considering who put up the points in that W

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Maybe Edmonton's fourth line gets goals a few games in a row. It's not enough to change expectations over the whole season.
Or maybe the 3rd/4th line starts producing consistently now.

A wise man once said that you shouldn't expect the whole season to stay the same. So if they weren't producing at the start, they might start producing later on.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Oilers just a flash in the hockey pan. No depth, one line team.
Lol as that top line puts up 5 out of possible 15 points in win. Funny thing is people keep saying Edmonton has no depth yet they keep winning. If the depth starts to pick up like it did last night this is a top 5 team in the league

Reactions: Cypress

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jets are a 3 line team. 4th line hardly see ice and when they do they do not produce and barely generate a SOG. 3rd line is starting to wake up a bit since Perraeult-Lowry-Copp got put together

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Hard to rank them at this point, easiest would just be to say 4 are looking pretty decent and sitting in a playoff position. Then there's the Leafs and Flames.

Ottawa is just kind of a sad story but hey at least they are playing above expectations.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
How does Canada become "CDN"?

Anyway, Jets aren't that good a team. They're being carried by Hellebuyck's ridiculously high save% on high danger chances. I doubt that can last for an entire season.

Edmonton Oilers are the best Canadian team IMO.

It's for Canadian, not Canada.

CanaDiaN

Too many people would mistake CA for California.

TrueTT

Dec 12, 2018
Guelph, ON
If the Oilers are healthy and Holland adds a top-6 forward to their 2nd line, then that team is winning the division. If they get Taylor Hall they are probably contenders.

Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson are all solid top-4 defenseman. Bear has looked real good and they still have Caleb Jones emerging on their bottom pairing.....and that’s with their top-2 D prospects in Bouchard and Broberg not in the show.

I hate to admit it because their fans are insufferable whenever their team is good (see 2016-17), but the talk of bottom-6 scoring is overstated. Guys like Sheahan, Khaira, Granlund, Arhibald don’t contribute much offensively but they are amazing on the PK and can forecheck/trap in the neutral zone.

Reactions: Mcwinner

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Yea, Jets success this year has been due to the stellar play of Helly. But as a Jets fan, I'm super happy to put to rest the Helly/Brossoit debate.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
let them have it, they dont even have an airport
Edmonton chirping Winnipeg is like Winnipeg chirping Saskatchewan, it's all the same shit.

On topic, the Jets haven't been great but Hellebuyck is easily the best goaltender on a Canadian team at this point and is masking a lot of deficiencies.

Reactions: McDLT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad