Are Blues buyer or seller @ TDL?

• Total voters

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Given that we have been scouting Philly pretty heavily; I'm halfway expecting Army to pull another trade over on Philly.

Allen and Maroon
for
Simmonds and Moose
In. A. Heartbeat. I doubt Philly goes for that though, considering they will undoubtedly get a 1st for Simmonds from another team.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Given that we have been scouting Philly pretty heavily; I'm halfway expecting Army to pull another trade over on Philly.

Allen and Maroon
for
Simmonds and Moose

God yes. While I understand the desire for Zucc, if Simmons price isn’t outlandish I wouldn’t mind him as a 2nd/3rd line guy.

Maybe it’s just me but he has always been one of those guys I just felt would end up playing for the Blues and end up living in St. Louis after his playing days.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I really don’t see where picking up a forward is essential at this point. I don’t see us as contenders for a cup, but maybe a two round surprise. I don’t think it’s worth mortgaging any picks or prospects. We will go as far as our goaltending and defense either step up or leave us.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Allen and Maroon
for
Simmonds and Moose

I would be absolutely shocked if the flyers don't get a much better offer than that for Simmonds. Plus, I doubt they would have to replace their mediocre backup with a more expensive mediocre backup.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
No moves.

I don't like all this trade Schenn talk. The guy does his job and compliments the other top 6 players. He can be counted on to start games with a tussle or end them with a goal.

I would like to see how far we get with this crew and this coach before we change things.

Reactions: blues hillbilly

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Doug Armstrong basically just confirmed that very very little is going to happen unless it's a player with term left on a deal.

A decision I am more then fine with unless a rental literally falls into our lap. I don't want to lose Kyrou or Bokk, dammit.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Doug Armstrong basically just confirmed that very very little is going to happen unless it's a player with term left on a deal.
That's the smartest approach. Maybe there is something in the off-season, if an opportunity arises. Moving Steen and bringing in a young player with upside at that spot would be desirable, but I don't see that happening at the trade deadline.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I hope he is being honest, but remember when he emphatically said "Halak is out starting goalie" a day before trading him for Miller? I tend to trust Army here because buying rentals or selling rentals doesn't make sense for where this roster is. But he is known to hold his cards close to the chest and keep the media in the dark about his actual trade negotiations.

With that said, trading Schenn or Petro before the deadline would cause me to take a step back and re-examine my support of this team unless it is a hockey trade for a clear upgrade with term. If I were a Blues player, I'd be requesting a trade the instant I heard about us trading Schenn or Petro for assets that don't improve today's roster. We've sold at the deadline the last 2 years despite being in the hunt. I supported the last two because the team last year was playing horribly and Shatty was the 3rd most important RD at the time we traded him. But if we are sellers again after the last 2 months, I'd expect players to march into Army's office and say, "it's clear that your perceived window does not line up with mine as a player. Trade me so I can play for an organization that is trying to win at the moment."

I also think it would make it more difficult to lure UFAs here. Tyler Bozak said he chose STL because he wanted to win a Cup. That was a pitch we were able to make last summer. That pitch gets harder to make if you sell while you're in a (modestly) comfortable playoff position and playing like a top 5-10 team in the league in mid-February.

Reactions: Brockon

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
All I ask is that before next year, Alex Steen and Jake Allen are no longer St. Louis Blues. Please, Army, find a way to get rid of them whether at the TDL or in the off season. Make a hockey trade if you have to for Steener, but find a way please, good sir.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I hope he is being honest, but remember when he emphatically said "Halak is out starting goalie" a day before trading him for Miller? I tend to trust Army here because buying rentals or selling rentals doesn't make sense for where this roster is. But he is known to hold his cards close to the chest and keep the media in the dark about his actual trade negotiations.

For me, an acceptable exception would be if we are selling a non-essential player (Maroon, Steen, Gunnarsson) to acquire the trade capital needed to bring in another impact player. That is not a "hockey trade" in the pure sense, but rather being both a buyer and a seller, much like what was rumored last year when we traded Stastny for a 1st and attempted (by all accounts) to use that 1st to acquire Hoffmann.

If we were to trade Steen+ to VGK for their 1st, for example, and use that 1st in a deal to lure Stone out of OTT or Panarin out of CBJ I would see that as a huge win, even if it doesn't fit the narrative that Army was setting up this morning of only considering hockey trades for players with term.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'd like to see guys like Bozak and Steen elevate their games in the post-season and find a way to contribute. That's the point of having a veteran player. If Steen can't offer that, then he probably needs to be moved.

As for Bozak, I need to know if Schenn is a center or a top 6 winger. If he's a winger, keep Bozak. Otherwise I'd like to create cap space and roster space for a talented winger (and keep ROR, Schenn and Thomas as the team's centers).

But a lot of this will be more clear after the post-season.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
That's the smartest approach. Maybe there is something in the off-season, if an opportunity arises. Moving Steen and bringing in a young player with upside at that spot would be desirable, but I don't see that happening at the trade deadline.

The smart move for the last few months is proving to have been no move at all, and Armstrong is proven to have been wise to have held back even when the cries of “something must be done” from every corner. I am sure this is going a long way to securing Stillman’s trust.

Likewise, now that the pendulum swung hard the other way, the smart move may still be to do nothing at all, unless someone makes it too hard to pass up.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
How much leverage does Steen have for being traded? Does he have a full no trade? Because if so I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Why would he?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
That's my suspicion. Now, that said I think it's more likely than not he's looking.

How much leverage does Steen have for being traded? Does he have a full no trade? Because if so I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Why would he?
Full NTC until 2/1/21. I think he waives it for very limited circumstances before then.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
That's my suspicion. Now, that said I think it's more likely than not he's looking.

Full NTC until 2/1/21. I think he waives it for very limited circumstances before then.
Exactly. We should stop talking about it because it’s a waste of breath until 2 trade deadlines from now. Only other scenario is paying Seattle off to take him in the draft.

Reactions: STL BLUES

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Exactly. We should stop talking about it because it’s a waste of breath until 2 trade deadlines from now. Only other scenario is paying Seattle off to take him in the draft.
I think his contract is up the summer the draft happens.

That’s not until 2021. Still a while away.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

1. Buyer

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. Seller

8 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. *
    Niether. We'll ride it out and see.

50 vote(s)
    65.8%

Looks like people doesnt want to do anything just ride what we've.

The results of the poll have nothing to do with what people wanted. You asked what the Blues would do, not what people WANTED the Blues to do. That is two different things.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues should be a buyer. I suspect they're worried about their precious futures though and protecting all of their organizational depth and don't see this as their possible best-shot at a Cup, (which it very well could be).

Reactions: brokeu91

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
We need proven playoff offense to add depth to the ranks.

We should punch a trade for Simmonds since the cost would be minor to us.

Flyers don't need netminding but that's ok, I trust Allen in a more limited time role, make him earn his starts.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think the Blues should stand pat unless they can buy at pennies on the dollar because a couple sellers misread the market. I don't want to get rid of anyone. Gunnar is too injury-prone to have real value and the D gets noticeably worse if you remove J-Bo. Maroon has been playing better lately and I don't think the likely return would be worth losing the depth and element that Maroon can bring when he is playing well. Even if we buy and Maroon is forced out of the lineup, I'd rather have him as a guy we can insert into the lineup over the 3rd rounder that is likely the best case return for him.

Unless we can upgrade for cheap or upgrade with a guy under contract for next year, I'd rather just let this team make their push as assembled. Army will be on the phone and putting out feelers, but there is no reason to feel compelled to make a trade. That's a good position to be in, but I expect it won't result in him being able to fleece someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad