Are Blues buyer or seller @ TDL?

Are Blues buyer or seller @ TDL?

• Total voters

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Ofc it depends are just few point away from wilcard spot, but assume we've good chance to make to playoffs what will Army do or what we should do, Buy or sell?

What you guys think Army's vision is are we buyers or sellers at TDL?

I'll have continuing question and new poll after this poll result.

I'll give 10 days to answer in this poll and then its locked.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Ofc it depends are just few point away from wilcard spot, but assume we've good chance to make to playoffs what will Army do or what we should do, Buy or sell?

I'll have continious question after poll result.

No option for "neither"?

I think there are no UFA assets that are valuable enough to make a priority to sell. Probably Bouwmeester is the best, and I don't think he'd command a 1st round pick or maybe even a 2nd, assuming he would waive.

I would think Armstrong is going to sit pat and let this group play it out, as they've earned the right to do (if they continue to fight their way back into the wildcard spot).

I could see a deadline trade if its something like acquiring Talbot (eh?) or Howard with a plan to re-sign them going forward. Maybe Allen is shipped out in the deal. But I wouldn't categorize that as "buying" as much as making a hockey trade for the team beyond this year. I can't imagine Armstrong will buy rentals, unless is something small potatoes no one cares about for depth.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I have no idea whether we will be buyers/sellers/neither and neither should the front office at this point. Closing a poll 2 weeks before the deadline makes no sense. That decision shouldn't be made until we know where we stand closer to the deadline. We have 9 games between the close of this poll and the actual trade deadline. Why on Earth shouldn't we consider what happens then when predicting what we do at the deadline?

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Honestly, I can see the team being both buyers and sellers at the trade deadline.

Sellers: Several players could be sold off for rental. Maroon, Bouwmeester, & Gunnar. Schenn & Fabbri could be other possiblities, but those 3 in the front would be more prime candidates and can net a prospect & a pick or whichever one.

Buyers: So say somehow Gunnar or Bouw gets traded and maybe Maroon gets traded, bring up whoever as a 7th dman and that opens up some cap that the team can use to add elsewhere along with an extra pick or prospect or both. They could then make trade with the extra cap space.

So I can see the team being both a buyer & seller in this deadline.

But a lot depends on these next 13 games what we do.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

I'll have continuing question and new poll after this poll result.

Personally I think it's silly to close the poll in 10 days. If you need to set a deadline, it should fall either after the Nashville home and home Feb 9th & 10th or the back to back against Colorado and Minnesota on the 16th & 17th.

Those games will have a huge effect on our standing in the Central playoffs race as 4, 4 point games played in an 8 day span against our main competition for a playoff berth. My personal belief is that closing the poll a week before the TDL on February 18th would be best.

Screenshot_20190130-173227_NHL.jpg

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Need an option for both. They could move someone like Schenn or Pietrangelo and also make a move for an asset like Duchene. I’m not saying those specifics will happen but I think it’ll be both buying and selling.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I could see Maroon maybe being shipped out or perhaps one of JBo/Gunnarsson, but I don’t really consider that selling. I’d be shocked Army moved someone like Schenn mid season, and I don’t know that he’ll bring in anyone noteworthy, either. Frankly, I think he’ll stand pat but at lot depends on these next 5 or so games.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
He'll continue the holding pattern from the last few seasons of selling off expiring pieces. Hopefully a team gets desperate and offers up a good pick for one of, if not both of JBo/Gunnar

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
It'll depend on where we are closer to the TDL. There are a lot of games left between now and then. For now, I would say we certainly are not going to be buyers. We'll either be sellers or stay the course. Stay the course could mean no trades or an "even" trade from a position of strength for a position of weakness.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Personally I think it's silly to close the poll in 10 days. If you need to set a deadline, it should fall either after the Nashville home and home Feb 9th & 10th or the back to back against Colorado and Minnesota on the 16th & 17th.

Those games will have a huge effect on our standing in the Central playoffs race as 4, 4 point games played in an 8 day span against our main competition for a playoff berth. My personal belief is that closing the poll a week before the TDL on February 18th would be best.

I wish I could share your optimism that we are competing with Nasvhille for a playoff spot, but we're a full 15 points back on them. Even if we win all 3 games we have in hand over them and get 2 regulation wins against them in those games, we would still be 5 points back of them. Realistically, if we play well enough to catch Nashville, we don't need to worry about anything because we will easily be a playoff team.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I wish I could share your optimism that we are competing with Nasvhille for a playoff spot, but we're a full 15 points back on them. Even if we win all 3 games we have in hand over them and get 2 regulation wins against them in those games, we would still be 5 points back of them. Realistically, if we play well enough to catch Nashville, we don't need to worry about anything because we will easily be a playoff team.

My point is that beating divisional rivals (and playoff teams) will be a good benchmark to set before buying, or selling prior to the deadline.

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
Agree we need a fourth option of "Both" or at least hockey trade.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
As of today, more buyers than sellers but probably neither. The talent is there if Binnington keeps playing well.

The defense is starting to figure things out game by game and we've got the talent at forward when everyone is healthy.

Luckily we don't have to decide today. Our small sample of stronger play isn't enough to make a true decision. A few more weeks will tell us our direction.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
unless they go on an extreme streak either way (lose 80% or win 80% of the games before deadline) they shouldnt do anything unless someone overpays them for some reason in a hockey trade or someone will take allen

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
They should sell, but I understand the economics of just getting in the playoffs to the ownership. Hopefully, the team decides to show up and play from here on out.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I think they sell off Maroon, and one of Gunnar or JBo, and then make a hockey trade involving someone likely overpaying for Schenn. Maybe a goalie swap involving Allen, but I think that’s least likely to happen. I think Army will be active.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I think they sell off Maroon, and one of Gunnar or JBo, and then make a hockey trade involving someone likely overpaying for Schenn. Maybe a goalie swap involving Allen, but I think that’s least likely to happen. I think Army will be active.

I agree with you on Maroon and Gunnarsson/Bouwmeester and we know Army was listening to offers for Schenn and probably came very close to a trade with Boston, so this could be a possibility. But the longer we'll stay in the race, the smaller the chance. I think there's a bigger chance we trade him at the start of next season. Same goes with Allen: we've tried to trade him a while ago and that didn't work, so I don't expect any team to 'bite' this deadline.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I’d be shocked if we were both. I’d be pretty surprised if we made more than one trade. This isn’t just a problem here, but every fan base falls for this notion that trades are a given. The reality is that trades don’t happen that often. I would guess a lot goes into a trade and working multiple at once is tough to do.

Looking through the blues recent trade history they really don’t make more than one trade in February very often. They bought a couple dmen in 2013. Last year they traded for Soshnikov a few weeks before dealing Stastny but I doubt anyone is clamoring for 4th line player type deals when suggesting we are both buyers and sellers. 2011 was a year where we did a lot. The big EJ deal and then sold off the unperforming vets but Brad Boyes, Brad Winchester and Eric Brewer aren’t exactly Brayden Schenn, Jayden Schwartz and Alex Pietrangelo. I guess I could buy the notion this team might be due for a huge shakeup like 2011, especially if they come out cold but I’d still be pretty surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad