Are Blues buyer or seller @ TDL?

Are Blues buyer or seller @ TDL?

• Total voters

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Stand pat. Need more speed? Play Fabbri more and Steen less.
Steen is good forechecking. First half of this season Steen was slow in my eyes, but he has improved his skating. Even last night he looked darn good at forecheck and fighting 1vs1.

Maroon instead is Still weakest link in the forward Group. Even Fabbri/Blais/Nolan would be better fit in team then Maroon.

Fabbri > Maroon. No matter Fabbri hasnt been himself yet, but not playing him is worst move what you can do with him. He will find his game 3rd/4th line not being popcorn guy.

Reactions: shmotz

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’m good with staying pat. Address the Allen situation in the Summer. He’ll probably be gone one way or another. But for now, we have him and all we can hope is he gets on one of his hot streaks and at least plays like an adequate backup to Binnington.

The rest of the team is starting to come together and I can’t think of anything (for a realistic price) that makes sense to add.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I’m good with staying pat. Address the Allen situation in the Summer. He’ll probably be gone one way or another. But for now, we have him and all we can hope is he gets on one of his hot streaks and at least plays like an adequate backup to Binnington.

The rest of the team is starting to come together and I can’t think of anything (for a realistic price) that makes sense to add.

I agree. I don't want them to pay out future assets only to become marginally better. No one or two players who will be available, will push this team over the line to get us to The Finals. The Blues already have plenty of depth to fill in in case of a major injury. Save assets needed to retool the team over the next 2 offseasons.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I think we're buyers, but not "guy who will be UFA at season's end" buyers. I think we're qualified buyers, in that we'll look for someone who's got a couple years and can help this team out as it makes a push in what I see as the short-term window that's available.

No, I don't think we're getting rid of Allen. But I do think that plan is going to be worked on heavily so that the trigger can be pulled around the draft.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I definitely see us being buyers as well, especially after this recent run beating very good teams.

With that being said, I wouldn’t be upset if we stood pat, but all these teams in front of us will likely become better teams too. We’ll just have to wait and see I suppose.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Barring a sudden collapse, I think we will be soft buyers. We will explore the market for a low-cost guy to add depth or address one specific thing the front office feels we're lacking. If we can get that type of rental for a 5th or later (or a 2020 3rd/4th rounder) then I see us pulling the trigger. Maybe we explore a "hockey trade" for a non-rental, but those are fairly rare at the deadline and would probably have already happened or will happen in the next couple days.

Other than that, I don't see us doing much. We've played too well the last 2 months to sell a major asset. That would be the 3rd straight year we've sold a good player at the deadline despite being in the thick of things and I think Army feels he owes it to Berube and the roster to not cut their leg out. Schenn is 100% not re-signing if we're true sellers at the deadline. He was pissed last year and would be justifiably more pissed this year. I don't think our minor 'dead weight' assets carry enough value to make it worth downgrading depth and upsetting a room that appears to have come together. I think you owe it to your season ticket holders, players and the coach you are still evaluating to be permanent head coach to not sell unless a team offers a comically large package. If that happens, I think you owe it to those groups to flip that package for immediate help that you think is better than the asset going out.

We're already missing a 1st and 4th round pick this year and a 2nd in 2021. I don't see us parting with another 1st, Kyrou or Bokk, which takes us out of the running for the 2 or 3 major rental upgrades. I don't think Kostin is enough to be the centerpiece for Stone/Duchene/Panarin and I don't think the Blues are low enough on Kostin to move him for a 2nd tier rental. I just don't think it makes sense to pay the price it will take to acquire a rental that really moves the needle. We're either losing one (or both) of Schenn/Petro in 18 months or dealing with a big raise (or two) to keep them. Dunn will also be due a big raise that summer and Thomas/Kyrou will hopefully need them after that. We are going to need a few ELC assets ready to contribute at the NHL level in 2020 through 2023 in order to compete throughout ROR and Tarasenko's deals. Paying the required price for a major rental probably prohibits us from getting that contribution. I don't think this is the year to start mortgaging the future on a rental.

Darris Price

Nov 5, 2018
The Blues have painted themselves into a corner. Not much room under the cap, and no first round pick. I would like to see if Schenn or Petro could be moved. I would only pursue that if Allen or Steen were included as well.
I doubt they go anything, but if they do; Go big, or leave it alone!

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
The Blues have painted themselves into a corner. Not much room under the cap, and no first round pick. I would like to see if Schenn or Petro could be moved. I would only pursue that if Allen or Steen were included as well.
It doesn't make much sense to move either of them at the TDL as we're in the thick of the playoff race and they both have another year left. It makes significantly less sense to attach Allen/Steen to them as that would reduce the value of the return as well as limit the potential suitors due to the large cap commitment to any combination of two of those players.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Trading Petro or Schenn now would be a great way to ruin this great momentum we have built up. Terrible idea. In the off-season? Perhaps.

I still don't see any reason Schenn would sign an extension early, so I certainly wouldn't expect that to happen. But at this point there is almosy no chance he's traded during this season.

Grimlore

Mar 20, 2012
I would like to see if Schenn or Petro could be moved. I would only pursue that if Allen or Steen were included as well.

This is how to derail the team instantly. We are on an amazing winning streak, everyone is playing well. You want to ship out Petro & Schenn (terrible choice) and include Allen or Steen in the trade so that our return is worse? Wow, no words...

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
This is how to derail the team instantly. We are on an amazing winning streak, everyone is playing well. You want to ship out Petro & Schenn (terrible choice) and include Allen or Steen in the trade so that our return is worse? Wow, no words...
Not to mention insuring that no UFA will ever want to come here in the future.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Not to mention insuring that no UFA will ever want to come here in the future.
I think about this, and then I think about how other teams have done even worse to guys and UFAs still have no problem going there.

But I agree, that kind of a move right now would be dumb given how we're playing right now and how much of the rest of the conference is moping along sideways.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Blues are going to shock HFboards into crashing when they trade for Duchene at the TDL.

I’d love to have Duchene or Stone, but the Blues will never trade away the prospects required for a rental to make it happen. Especially with no 1st rounder. I just dont see what we could offer that would be enough without Kyrou going the other way.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’d love to have Duchene or Stone, but the Blues will never trade away the prospects required for a rental to make it happen. Especially with no 1st rounder. I just dont see what we could offer that would be enough without Kyrou going the other way.

Thankfully their GM isn’t the smartest, and we have been very good in deals for top 6 talent the last few years.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
3 weeks ago I was so pissed, I was ready for a complete rebuild. I’m talking Petro, Tarasenko, Schenn type of moves. Now, im not moving anybody. I’m in making a playoff run mode. I wouldn’t even trade JBo or Gunnar right now. Need the depth for a long run. I could be persuaded into moving Steen and maybe Fabbri, but it would require a good return.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Their GM is so dumb he pissed away the offer Armstrong made for Hoffman, then ended up getting less in return. It goes both ways.

Where was it confirmed we made a bid on Hoffman? Link?

Just never saw that this offseason. Surprised we did considering Pie had the same issues with trying to have a kid as Karraslon did.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Where was it confirmed we made a bid on Hoffman? Link?

Just never saw that this offseason. Surprised we did considering Pie had the same issues with trying to have a kid as Karraslon did.
I couldn’t tell you now, but I remember quotes from Armstrong that made it clear he’d offered the 1st he acquired for Stastny since that had been the asking price, then the price went up and he ended up not being traded. Then the weirdness with his girlfriend and Hoffman became distressed goods.

Reactions: A Real Barn Burner

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I couldn’t tell you now, but I remember quotes from Armstrong that made it clear he’d offered the 1st he acquired for Stastny since that had been the asking price, then the price went up and he ended up not being traded. Then the weirdness with his girlfriend and Hoffman became distressed goods.

Sounds like it was around the trade deadline. Guess we dodged a bullet there.

If Ottawa’s GM is dumb and gives away Stone for peanuts hope we are the one to get him. Really think he would be a great long term addition to our club.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Given that we have been scouting Philly pretty heavily; I'm halfway expecting Army to pull another trade over on Philly.

Allen and Maroon
for
Simmonds and Moose

Reactions: Novacain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->