Waived: Arcobello Put on Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Ugh. I'd take Arcobello over that scum, too.

Very dirty player in his Junior days. He doesn't play like that anymore.

Cormier is a better fit than Arcobello. That being said; the only three things that he would provide are grit, size, and the ability to win faceoffs. His skating is choppy and slow.

Waiver pick-ups that I would have liked:

Micheal Haley
Derek Grant
Darren Archibald
Troy Bodie
Jack Skille (claimed)
Jay Rosehill
Steve Pinizzotto
Richard Panik (claimed)
Brandon Mashinter
Steve Bernier
Blair Jones
Brian McGrattan
Tom Sestito
Travis Morin
Luke Adam
Ben Chiarot
Tyler Pitlick

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Not to beat a dead horse here, but I can't imagine this scenario on a different team.

No team except for the Penguins would waive a guy who has played on the 2nd line three days ago.

But over the past few years how many times is a guy picked up and played on a third line or second line while a more talented option is scratched and then the same guy later waived or demoted while less talented guys sit on the 4th line? We have to lead the league in that area....

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Can the Pens stay healthy up front. Now that they have all hands on deck for the first time, it will be interesting to see the chemistry and how lines play out.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Not to beat a dead horse here, but I can't imagine this scenario on a different team.

No team except for the Penguins would waive a guy who has played on the 2nd line three days ago.
This has been going on for years... Chris Bourque, etc... list goes on.

penguins2946*

This has been going on for years... Chris Bourque, etc... list goes on.

-List goes on
-Lists 1 player

There's 3 off the top of my head, Bourque, Boychuk and Arcobello. That's basically it. That's not a long list.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Can't believe we played him over Bennett to put him on waivers a week later.

Why can't you believe it?

Arcobello really has no future on this team as a top 6 player the way Beau does, so the team isn't invested in benching him to make him a better player by working out harder and watching what the coach needs from him.

The guy was a stop gap, the gap is no longer needed to be filled, adios.

I wouldn't mind him passing through to the Baby Pens and bolster that team as I still want the WBS Penguins to win a Championship, at least 1 "Penguins" team should be a Champ.

WBS has a great shot.

The saddest part is that it's only Arcobello that is getting waived. I would have loved to see 2 more names on that way (Adams + Sill) and 2 going the other way with Rust/Megna/Farnham.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Are we talking about guys picked off waivers and played on the top two lines?

Or guys picked up on waivers, played on the top two lines, then waived?

Because Pyatt is another waiver claim played in the top six, but wasn't put on waivers.

Kobasew very rarely played with Malkin or Crosby IIRC

I'm pretty sure Kobasew saw a good amount of time with Crosby.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005

This happens more than you would think actually, mostly with smaller players that only have offensive potential but don't bring anything else to the table.

penguins2946*

I'm pretty sure Kobasew saw a good amount of time with Crosby.

Kobasew's 10 most common linemates were Niskanen, Sutter, Maatta, Scuderi, Orpik, Jokinen, Bortuzzo, Malkin, Adams and Martin. At least there, there's nothing that says he played a lot with Crosby. I think he only played with Malkin when Neal got hurt, and he played more with Jokinen than Malkin because Malkin missed time due to an injury. Crosby played more with Stempniak (who was a Penguin for 21 games and didn't play much with Sid) than he did with Kobasew.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
-List goes on
-Lists 1 player

There's 3 off the top of my head, Bourque, Boychuk and Arcobello. That's basically it. That's not a long list.
I'm talking about scrubs playing alongside Geno's wing... not the whole waiver transaction side of things.

Think about how many guys have played on Geno's wing who are no longer playing at the NHL level - i'd imagine its a somewhat expansive list

penguins2946*

He was on Crosby's wing for a few games, irrc. Then he was healthy scratched and eventually, blessedly, waived.

Then we were blessed with the presence of Brian Gibbons with Sid, who was also waived this year. It is kinda sad how much trash the Pens have had on their wings over the years.

I'm talking about scrubs playing alongside Geno's wing... not the whole waiver transaction side of things.

Think about how many guys have played on Geno's wing who are no longer playing at the NHL level - i'd imagine its a somewhat expansive list

That's also not really a fair comparison, because Malkin has been in the league for 8 seasons now and players retire. Fedetenko not being in the NHL anymore doesn't show that Fedetenko was bad, just that he was old. But yes, the Pens have had too many crap linemates with Sid and Geno over the years. Gibbons, Arcobello, Tangradi, Boychuk, Pyatt, Kobasew (for a little while) and Gibbons are just from the last 2 years.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
well, no ****... I will brag about it and say that I called it right from the moment they announced they picked him up...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Seems to me the same thing happened with D'Agostini too. We like giving these guys last, best chances before throwing 'em back on the heap.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
you'll go through a lot of gravel before you can find a gold nugget. but then you will never find one unless you do. imo

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Seems to me the same thing happened with D'Agostini too. We like giving these guys last, best chances before throwing 'em back on the heap.

Man, I forgot about him. He couldn't have played more than 10-15 games with the Pens right?

speaking of gold nugget waiver acquisitions, how is Brian Strait doing these days? A lot of people made a pretty big stink about losing him to waivers (myself included), but I can't remember the last time I heard his name. Pens/Isles playoff series maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad