Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I expect a bridge contract, something like 2 years at 1.75-2M a year.

That being said, given his style of play and how players that play such a rugged style of play rarely age well, wouldn't it be smart to give him 6-8 years at 3-3.5 AAV? It's definitely a gamble but at least you don't run into the risk of possibly having him have negative value due to his play deteriorating (e.g. him signing a long term deal in the 5M range but contract finishing around same as option A).

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Harris got a 2 year bridge at 1.4 per season. Which direction should Hughes go with Xhekaj?

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I’d offer him the full 8 year deal at 3.5 million per year. Gives the team long term control, while giving the player financial security. My opinion is that he’s a core piece of this team, and tying him up for that long is a no brainer. He’s only improving in every aspect of the game and gives the team an extremely unique skill set. I see Xhekaj, Guhle, Reinbacher as our pillars on the back end moving forward.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I’d offer him the full 8 year deal at 3.5 million per year. Gives the team long term control, while giving the player financial security. My opinion is that he’s a core piece of this team, and tying him up for that long is a no brainer. He’s only improving in every aspect of the game and gives the team an extremely unique skill set. I see Xhekaj, Guhle, Reinbacher as our pillars on the back end moving forward.
That's probably fair because longterm he probably ends up bottom pairing D. He could evolve into a top 4 but my guess is #5 or #6.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
that sounds like a solid offer. 28 million over 8 years, which also means he's pretty much guaranteed to get his NHLPA pension. Maybe a signing bonus can be included too. Not to mention he surely will get endorsement deals, probably with this bro when he graduates.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That's probably fair because longterm he probably ends up bottom pairing D. He could evolve into a top 4 but my guess is #5 or #6.
It really depends. If we see him as a third pairing Dman I'm guessing we go bridge.
The players fitting in above him setting his market value here.
If however you think he could ultimately be a second pairing guy with benefits you lock him up.
Most importantly you always ensure he can be moved for full face value.
I can't say where he tops out at. I've seen huge strides this year and certainly expect more.
I haven't seen anyone else with his ability to shut the gate on that left side with a sheer nasty physical presence.
I haven't seen anyone else who can cause the opposition to fold on certain plays.
That is a trait I want to see employed against top 6 opponents.

Reactions: Tyson

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It really depends. If we see him as a third pairing Dman I'm guessing we go bridge.
The players fitting in above him setting his market value here.
If however you think he could ultimately be a second pairing guy with benefits you lock him up.
Most importantly you always ensure he can be moved for full face value.
I can't say where he tops out at. I've seen huge strides this year and certainly expect more.
I haven't seen anyone else with his ability to shut the gate on that left side with a sheer nasty physical presence.
I haven't seen anyone else who can cause the opposition to fold on certain plays.
That is a trait I want to see employed against top 6 opponents.
It's hard to find a comparable for sure Cernak is one who got 8 years at 5.2M, his bridge was 2.95 for 3 years. Orpik is one who signed a long deal right after his first ELC, 6 years 3.75M. Hard to tell his value with how rare his style is.

Reactions: Tyson and Rapala

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I remember 90s Habs so I can't give the complete picture regarding serge, but I can't say I felt much confidence in him either. Some of his later moves really rattled my faith.

The recchi trade is one of the worst in Habs history. Not because recchi wasn't a very good player, but he traded two very good players for one. Savard for chelios was also a massive botch.

As much as serge is responsible for building up an incredible defensive pipeline in the system, he also ended up pissing alot of it away.

But what serge did have was the player's respect. He knew how to treat people and everyone trusted him with their issues. Those soft skills are also worth something, but I think he had lost the plot towards the end.
I remember being so excited about getting Denis Savard. What a terrible move it turned out to be.

And honestly, Pat Burns was not the right guy for Savrard as coach. Roenick would’ve been a milich better fit.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
He came from a blue-collar working-class family without the financial means to enroll him in the best hockey schools and have connections with the most influential people. I wonder how much that played a part in him being overlooked.
I feel more and more like hockey stars will most likely come from families with money, and often its kids born in the first half of the year with extra development over their nov and dec peer group. Soccer has a rotating start for kids so January babies don't have an 11 month advantage over someone born in December. When you are 5-7 years old an entire year of growth is significant but so is money IMHO.
I remember glen metropolit was one of those working class family players. Always liked him as a hab.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Players putting the breaks on around Arber has been putting a huge grin on my mug for a while now.
Sooner or later we are going to have a super talented RD paired up with him.
One who can deal a little better with the re-routed traffic than David Savard.
Arber Xhekaj does not look like a top pairing Dman on his own but with the right pairing anything is possible.
LOL Komisarek would like to thank Markov for that 21 million contract he got from the leafs. Crazy when you think how little we paid markov, a 60 point dman in comparisons.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
LOL Komisarek would like to thank Markov for that 21 million contract he got from the leafs. Crazy when you think how little we paid markov, a 60 point dman in comparisons.
Iirc Markov was one of the top paid Dman during his prime despite never being in Norris conversation

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I read about Patrick Kane and how his father spent big money for exclusive hockey schools, Carey Prices father bought a plane but Zach Hyman's father upped everyone lol. I never liked Marc Bergevin as a GM but the move to invite Arber to camp and later sign him was one of his best moves as GM. AX won't be a top pairing D but he is a valuable player. I noticed the respect he was given by Mackinnon late in the game on Tuesday when the puck went behind our net, Mack saw him coming and he held up.
Bergevin's wheelhouse is the rough and tough blue collar guy as opposed to the razzle dazzle skill guy. So reality is Bergevin was the right GM for Xheraj to get an invite.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I really like Xheraj and hope he is a Hab long term. But I think people are too confident about him on this team long term.

I think Xheraj might be a Unicorn, like a good number of others on here. But he also makes mistakes ( which is part of development and his game is better) and he still takes bad penalties.

Harris is written off by many as trade bait. But he gets minutes from MSL because he is trusted. Struble has been impressive.

So sticking to LHD we have Guhle who is a lock, then Xheraj, Harris, Struble and Engstrom etc. Xheraj could very well be the odd man out. All these guys are pretty good.

I think Xheraj gets a 2 year deal. He needs to get MSL's trust.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
I like Jordan Harris better than Xhekaj and I wouldn't be surprised if, at the end of the day, he's going to have a better NHL career.

There. I said it.
That's a pretty different opinion. Is that because you have a higher opinion of Harris than most or a lower opinion of Xhekaj?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I really like Xheraj and hope he is a Hab long term. But I think people are too confident about him on this team long term.

I think Xheraj might be a Unicorn, like a good number of others on here. But he also makes mistakes ( which is part of development and his game is better) and he still takes bad penalties.

Harris is written off by many as trade bait. But he gets minutes from MSL because he is trusted. Struble has been impressive.

So sticking to LHD we have Guhle who is a lock, then Xheraj, Harris, Struble and Engstrom etc. Xheraj could very well be the odd man out. All these guys are pretty good.

I think Xheraj gets a 2 year deal. He needs to get MSL's trust.
I have noticed his inability to tone it down once there is a scuffle on the ice. Thursday night's game was a prime example, the Flyers were pushing this type of play and he was involved but remained somewhat aggressive throughout the game and took penalties. He needs to get the anger under control to avoid hurting the team. In games where there is little rough stuff he tends to play smarter.

Reactions: Rapala and yianik

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I have noticed his inability to tone it down once there is a scuffle on the ice. Thursday night's game was a prime example, the Flyers were pushing this type of play and he was involved but remained somewhat aggressive throughout the game and took penalties. He needs to get the anger under control to avoid hurting the team. In games where there is little rough stuff he tends to play smarter.
I imagine with more lhd coming up the pipe he might be struggling to balance good play and showcasing why he’s in the nhl. Also hormones.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
That's a pretty different opinion. Is that because you have a higher opinion of Harris than most or a lower opinion of Xhekaj?
Harris' brain, coolness and mobility will make him a solid player for a long time.

Xhekaj to me is just a package of tools at this point. It might transform into a good player eventually, but I'm far from certain this is going to happen.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad