Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Remember a month ago when Marty hated him and they were gonna trade him.
When Serge Savard was GM I still had full faith in Habs management. When he and Demers were fired and we went with 0 experience at both GM and coaching levels I was rattled, but gave the benefit of the doubt.

Houle was the Habs dark age. Well intentioned, not competent and was a puppet of Cory ( jackass)

After Houle came Andre Savard. No issues.

Then Gainey and he got the benefit of the
doubt.

Some things he did were good, others not good. Tilted to bad overall.

Then twilight zone Gauthier. Not all bad, but bizzare.

By the time MB came, I thought guy needs to be given a chance and I was hopeful , but my expectation was stupid things would be done. MT , right off the bat.

So I try to Sbah, and so far so good here, but I fear the stupid moves , seems it's part of our tradition now.

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
When Serge Savard was GM I still had full faith in Habs management. When he and Demers were fired and we went with 0 experience at both GM and coaching levels I was rattled, but gave the benefit of the doubt.

Houle was the Habs dark age. Well intentioned, not competent and was a puppet of Cory ( jackass)

Then Gainey and he got the benefit of the doubt.

By the time MB came, I thought guy needs to be given a chance and I was hopeful , but my expectation was stupid things would be done. MT , right off the bat.

So I try to Sbah, and so far so good here, but I fear the stupid moves , seems it's part of our tradition now.
Bergevin should have bever been given a chance , the guy is a nincompoop

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Bergevin should have bever been given a chance , the guy is a nincompoop
I can see why he was given the chance. Quebecois with experience as an Assistant GM. His biggest issue I think, and not trying to be funny, is he must have a couple personality disorders and this affected his ability to be a good GM. Stuff like getting into seemingly personal dislikes of players like PK, Markov, Danault etc. Being loyal to twats like MT at the expense of players and team. And so on.

In all seriousness. They need to do psych testing on management , not just players.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

doubt.

Collectively we need to heal from 10 years of Bergevin.. the trauma is still there and I think the bias of that era still stains the fans perspective of things. We have adults in the room now, let's not expect the stupidity until they give us a reason to.

Reactions: Miller Time

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Collectively we need to heal from 10 years of Bergevin.. the trauma is still there and I think the bias of that era still stains the fans perspective of things. We have adults in the room now, let's not expect the stupidity until they give us a reason to.
It's correct. If you weren't a grinder, north- south ,lunch pail kind of guy MB and MT were watching you with disapproval and you were on thin ice. We saw this.

So yes, doubt crept into my mind, is there perhaps some bias of MSL against the style of game Xheraj plays ? Even though as a small guy MSL should know the benefits of the big tough guys being on a team.

I know HUGO and MSL can't be right all the time. In fact itd be normal to be wrong a lot. But so many mistakes have been made previously , I really hope these guys are able to even up some of the historic stupidity.

An important thing to do here is to max out the time we have with our more promising prospects/ players. So a guy like Xheraj goes nowhere until he can't find a chair with the big club and must clear waivers to go down. I know some want young guys traded while they still have value, but to me it's better to err on the side of keeping the guy, and if we miss out getting a 3rd or 4th, who cares.

Like I said, so far so good in many ways. Do we actually have competent management ?

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
More posters need to watch Ted Lasso...

Be a goldfish

Simple (& hard) as that

People should definitely watch it - it's a fantastic show. Many great quotes and I would say one of the later episodes that deals with a player coming out, was a wonderful way to approach that subject.

They got so many things right with that show, I miss it but glad they didn't drag it on.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
People should definitely watch it - it's a fantastic show. Many great quotes and I would say one of the later episodes that deals with a player coming out, was a wonderful way to approach that subject.

They got so many things right with that show, I miss it but glad they didn't drag it on.

Yup.

And a lot of what they got right in the show speaks to the huge value "intangibles" play in building a culture of success... The most important of which -strong relationships- this leadership group clearly understands and is very intentionally cultivating.

Future is bright 😎

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1710603518370.png

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

doubt.

I remember 90s Habs so I can't give the complete picture regarding serge, but I can't say I felt much confidence in him either. Some of his later moves really rattled my faith.

The recchi trade is one of the worst in Habs history. Not because recchi wasn't a very good player, but he traded two very good players for one. Savard for chelios was also a massive botch.

As much as serge is responsible for building up an incredible defensive pipeline in the system, he also ended up pissing alot of it away.

But what serge did have was the player's respect. He knew how to treat people and everyone trusted him with their issues. Those soft skills are also worth something, but I think he had lost the plot towards the end.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I remember 90s Habs so I can't give the complete picture regarding serge, but I can't say I felt much confidence in him either. Some of his later moves really rattled my faith.

The recchi trade is one of the worst in Habs history. Not because recchi wasn't a very good player, but he traded two very good players for one. Savard for chelios was also a massive botch.

As much as serge is responsible for building up an incredible defensive pipeline in the system, he also ended up pissing alot of it away.

But what serge did have was the player's respect. He knew how to treat people and everyone trusted him with their issues. Those soft skills are also worth something, but I think he had lost the plot towards the end.
Towards the end Serge was not on the ball and his real estate ventures were speculated to be taking his eyes off the team too much.

He made some awful moves , like the Chelios and Leclair/ Desjardins trades, but he also made some great moves like bringing in Smith, Muller etc. He actually had the big picture on what a team needed, the player makeup on a roster , to win a Cup. At worst he maintained the asset base, unlike Houle who eroded it losing so many trades.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Towards the end Serge was not on the ball and his real estate ventures were speculated to be taking his eyes off the team too much.

He made some awful moves , like the Chelios and Leclair/ Desjardins trades, but he also made some great moves like bringing in Smith, Muller etc. He actually had the big picture on what a team needed, the player makeup on a roster , to win a Cup. At worst he maintained the asset base, unlike Houle who eroded it losing so many trades.

The issue was that pre 90's most Gm's were morons of the highest degree when it came to running a hockey team and guys like Savard, Fletcher and Sather looked smart compared to their idiot contemporaries who they were able to fleece when they needed something. Things started to change in the 90's as the game became more technical and demanded a higher level of expertise from coaching staffs and management. GM's who previously looked smart did not become dumb they just dropped in the hierarchy as new, modern thinkers entered the game and the wolves eventually became sheep.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

Don’t forget that he also recommended Habs hire that clown Bergevin.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I remember in 1983 attending a game at the Spectrum and seeing Clarke without the C. I think Barber was the Captain, it's only been 40 years, groggy memory.
Yeah me too I’m getting that old- timers memory, forgot they made him a player coach so he couldn’t be captain. Oh well, not the 1st time I’ve been confused, won’t be the last!!

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not to defend these buffoons, but didn't Savard come out later and say that Bergevin didn't do any of the things he talked about during the interview?
Forget the interview, Bergevin said the team was going to build through the draft when he had his hiring presser and then went about trading must of his draft capital.

2014-15-16 all had picks traded and he traded the only selection that had value - Sergachev - out of 19 picks in those three years. What a clown.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Savard was initially operating under the assumption that Berg would keep him around as an advisor, iirc. I think that was the big thing he was most concerned about.
Which honestly isn't a good look for Savard. Huge conflict of interest if the guy whose advising Molson on who to hire is in turn being promised a cushy gig from the candidate he ends up recommending.

Reactions: windycity

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Which honestly isn't a good look for Savard. Huge conflict of interest if the guy whose advising Molson on who to hire is in turn being promised a cushy gig from the candidate he ends up recommending.
Dunno. I mean we were not there and we don't know the details. Maybe Savard though he would be named president of hockey operation and was fine with a green GM since he would have been there to supervise him. A little bit like Gorton hiring KH. I highly doubt Savard was fine with MB being named basically the all powerful god of the montreal canadiens org.

I like KH but how would KH be if he did not have Gorton to supervise him? If he was alone and had all the power. The biggest mistake was not to hire bergevin but to make him God. There was no president of hockey operation so basically MB was both the president and GM and for a guy who was mostly green it was just too many responsabilities.

I'm fine with Molson being the president of the Montreal Canaidnes business and entertainment side of things. But him as a president of hockey operation was a mind boggling decision from day one. MB had too much power and too little exprrience for such a big role.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Dunno. I mean we were not there and we don't know the details. Maybe Savard though he would be named president of hockey operation and was fine with a green GM since he would have been there to supervise him. A little bit like Gorton hiring KH. I highly doubt Savard was fine with MB being named basically the all powerful god of the montreal canadiens org.

I like KH but how would KH be if he did not have Gorton to supervise him? If he was alone and had all the power. The biggest mistake was not to hire bergevin but to make him God. There was no president of hockey operation so basically MB was both the president and GM and for a guy who was mostly green it was just too many responsabilities.

I'm fine with Molson being the president of the Montreal Canaidnes business and entertainment side of things. But him as a president of hockey operation was a mind boggling decision from day one. MB had too much power and too little exprrience for such a big role.
If he thought Bergevin wasn't ready to be in charge then he needed to tell that to Molson. And if he did tell Molson that and Molson ignored him then Savard should direct any anger/frustration/blame at Molson and not for Bergevin not hiring him to be a special advisor.

EDIT: Also didn't they hire former GM Rick Dudley to an assistant/advisory role.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Savard was initially operating under the assumption that Berg would keep him around as an advisor, iirc. I think that was the big thing he was most concerned about.

I don't think that's the issue. It was the broader alumni rejection that really soured the relationship.

That and the immediate egocentric approach, which was a departure from how he presented his club building vision...

Reactions: Picaroon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad