Confirmed with Link: April 2016: Flyers Sign Yale Goalie Alex Lyon to ELC

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think Lyon is below average for an NHL goalie, and I hope the Flyers don't have to play him.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I think Lyon is below average for an NHL goalie, and I hope the Flyers don't have to play him.

I'm sorry but i have to disagree. I think Lyon could atleast compete for the backup job next season in philly.

I also believed since Lyon's been signed and played that he's a better goalie prospect then Stolarz.
Stolarz is just big and needs more work on his angles then Lyon does IMO.

I'm saying this since Stolarz is hurt but Lyon will jump Stolarz on the depth cart to Stolarz's misfortune.
Lyon should have a decent year as the full time starter in the AHL.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm sorry but i have to disagree. I think Lyon could atleast compete for the backup job next season in philly.

I also believed since Lyon's been signed and played that he's a better goalie prospect then Stolarz.
Stolarz is just big and needs more work on his angles then Lyon does IMO.

I'm saying this since Stolarz is hurt but Lyon will jump Stolarz on the depth cart to Stolarz's misfortune.
Lyon should have a decent year as the full time starter in the AHL.

You're basing your opinion on actually watching him play.

I'm not sure what he is basing his opinion on..

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He's being sarcastic because Ghosts Beer made a baseless claim that the organization doesn't like him.

Why do so many on this board get upset that I said I don't think the org is that high on either Stolarz or Lyon?

A pretty harmless opinion, and it's not baseless despite your claim. They barely felt comfortable playing Stolarz. Lyon is behind him, and they added Irving who could threaten Lyon's AHL backup role. Does everything have to be all puppy dogs and rainbows?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why do so many on this board get upset that I said I don't think the org is that high on either Stolarz or Lyon?

A pretty harmless opinion, and it's not baseless despite your claim. They barely felt comfortable playing Stolarz. Lyon is behind him, and they added Irving who could threaten Lyon's AHL backup role. Does everything have to be all puppy dogs and rainbows?

Its 100% baseless.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Do you think they'll re-sign him?

Yes, if the option presents, and he's in the organization still. If he has a solid season this year, he's still not waivers eligible for one more season, unlike Stolarz, who I'm more worried about. It's just bad asset management to let him walk.

I wonder if Hextall would be OK with 2 rookie AHL goalies at once. I don't think he'd have a major issue with Hart and Sandstrom -- maybe Hart given his age -- seeing some ECHL time in a 3-man rotation for the Phantoms. And in theory they could loan one to another AHL team, though that doesn't sound very Hextall.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
If Lyon has a great season, they should absolutely re-sign him. I don't think that's going to happen, but I sure hope I'm wrong.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Lyon is really struggling.

3.40 GAA and .894 save pct. in 13 games.

Those are some bad numbers.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The Phantoms' defense got worse with the promotion of Sanheim and Hägg, part time promo of Alt/Morin.
Last time I checked Phil Myers was injured or playing hurt and Mark Friedman was a (minus) -13. Yikes.

Stolarz most likely wouldn't fare any better right now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lyon probably was nervous, but that's not a good sign in a NHL goalie, like a closer in baseball or a QB in the NFL, part of the job description is ice water in the veins.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If Elliott's going to be out a while I'd rather they just bring up Tokarski.

He has worse numbers than Lyon in the AHL this year, but he has more NHL experience and Lyon just looks so shaken out there. Lyon could be the better goaltender, but if he's too scared to show it then it doesn't really matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad