Confirmed with Link: April 2016: Flyers Sign Yale Goalie Alex Lyon to ELC

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
He seems to have a better command of his crease at least.
seemed more in control last nite...he still looks nervous and living from save to save, when he makes good save you can see his confidence and his level rise. all of this is totally understandable.
and the whole overreacting, crease abandonment thing is entirely coachable...so maybe thats underway.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Mrazek question here...

Just watched the highlights and all 4 goals were of the 'not much he could do, not his fault' type.

Screened with no D boxing out/clearing the crease, tip ins, and corner top shelf cm from the post.

Doesn't seem as bad as I was expecting. Dynasty league owner fyi. Any other insight? Thoughts? Am I wrong/right?​

Reactions: Philly Fanatik

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
I don't really think Mrazek deserves all the blame here!
And when the Lyon King gets short on the tooth tomorrow...the hyenas will be surrounded the net as well!
This collapse falls on the entire organization!:nod:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wish I had a dollar for every post on here saying Player X can't be traded who was then traded by Hextall.

No one is taking Rinaldo from us!

No one is taking Grossmann from us!

No one is taking Streit from us!

Forget it - the most amazing deal was dumping Vinnie's salary. That was pure magic.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Small sample size but in my eyes Alex Lyon has looked like a below average backup in the NHL so far.

He appears to be a pretty good puckhandler and likes to make the game fast by using his passing ability. In that regard he is the anti- Brian Elliot.

Other than that he has struggled a lot so far and doesn't have the big frame to make up for bad positioning and miss-playing the angles. In the AHL he feels comfortable to challenge shooters and dictate the play but that doesn't work on the big stage.

And he goes down too fast, is slow getting up and lacks lateral agility.
He's fundamentally sound in that he squares up properly and is pretty good at rebound control.

Mrazek is more talented, but I'm starting to suspect he's either Mason without the good years or "bad" Neuvirth without the hot streaks.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What role will Lyon have next year? The starter in LHV? He seems to deserve to at least but our backup but we still have Neuvirth.
I don't know and I don't think the Flyers even know. Next year they'll have Elliott, Neuvirth, Lyon, Stolarz, and Hart under contract (I'm already counting Mrazek out). Logistically one needs to be moved unless they keep 3 goalies on the active roster next year, which I guess could happen. Lyon and Stolarz have to clear waivers next year and Hexy might not want to risk sending one or both down. If Lyon finishes the year out strong, who knows, maybe he could steal the backup job next year. The only certainty is that Hart starts next year in LHV.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Should be easy to LTIR Neuvirth if need be.
And even if Neuvirth starts the season as one of three on the season opening roster, he can't be counted for full after the season he has been having anyway.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Should be easy to LTIR Neuvirth if need be.
And even if Neuvirth starts the season as one of three on the season opening roster, he can't be counted for full after the season he has been having anyway.

LTIR is only used if you are over the cap ceiling, which the Flyers won’t be.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
:laugh:

We’ve come a long a way from when Leland Irving was going to threaten Lyon's AHL backup role. Irving ended up getting traded to Anaheim before the season started and only played 6 games for their farm team.

Lyon has come a long way.
From an .890s goalie in the AHL in November, to looking atrocious in his first few games of NHL action, to now outplaying Mrazek.
Not sure I trust it to continue over any extended exposure, but you gotta ride with the hot goalie right now.
As for Irving, he clearly failed his initial look, & you almost wonder about attitude issues when he’s traded that quickly. Not that Lyon was going to lose a spot with Stolarz ending up out almost the whole season, but Irving seemingly would’ve had a spot on lock & they couldn’t ditch him fast enough right after signing him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Lyon and Stolarz have both outperformed their AHL save percentages in the NHL. Maybe people will start to realize goalie stats are as much of a team stat as they are a measure of individual talent. A goalie under Scott Gordon isn’t going to put up gaudy numbers (which is ironic considering he’s a former goalie). It’s pond hockey with a lot of odd man rushes and high percentage shots allowed. I heard Charlie O’Connor say Hart should have a .920 or better save percentage next year if he is a legit. I wouldn’t bank on it and I won’t write him off either if he doesn’t.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Perhaps, but so far some pretty tiny sample sizes.
378 NHL minutes for Stolarz;
397 NHL minutes for Lyon.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Interesting signing in that it is a two year deal. Perhaps the Flyers see Lyon as a real possibility to share time in Philly this season. His play in the A has been good but he was tentative when he came up to Philly last season. Maybe it was inexperience or stage fright. Whatever, I hope that he gets over it and settles in.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So we have two NHL goalies, Lyon in the AHL, Sandstrom staying in SHL? Stolie in ECHL? Hart as backup or does he have another season in CHL?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So we have two NHL goalies, Lyon in the AHL, Sandstrom staying in SHL? Stolie in ECHL? Hart as backup or does he have another season in CHL?

Hart is 150% done with the CHL. He already has his Phantoms/Flyers helmets ready to go. The Phantoms will either carry 3 goalies early on or one of them will start in the ECHL.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad