Anything new at Rexall this year?

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
Because that's 1,000 calories and there's already enough fatties waddling around Rexall. I don't need to be more squished against them than I already am.

like the other person said, if you exercise and don't make crap food the only thing in your life that you eat, there is no harm in indulging once in a while.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The cans are more expensive per ounce.

Draft is 8.50 for 480ml and the cans are like 9.50 for 473ml

But at least with the cans, you know you're getting regular beer, and not some potentially flat, stale or watered down junk. I'll pay a bit more and get something that is a sure thing.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I agree that the options at Rexall are terrible, however you can't compare the food at Rexall to NFL stadiums. They can offer 6 specialty burgers because the customer base is 80K+ and they have to prep for it every 2 weeks. Why would a vendor at Rexall make those options available for 16K?

I have been to over 8 different arenas/stadiums in the past 9 months and the food there isn't much better than Rexall. Some of them had more options, but I wouldn't say that they were that much better than Rexall. Arena food is arena food.

Going to MSG and Prudential centre in December - my opinion might change after that.

umm what? you kidding me? Rexall is by far the worst, and it's not even freaking close in terms of food quality. I've been to the majority of hockey stadiums and handful of baseball stadiums. "arena food" isn't just "arena food".
I'm going to assume you haven't actually had Rexall crap.

A vendor doesn't need to "prep" for it. In the food industry you go with the highest selling and most popular one. All you have to do is a quick survey or outsource that information from common templates. It's not hard. You can offer a smaller menu but better quality.

I'm literally losing my mind thinking that anyone can even come close to comparing/defending Rexall to any other establishment for a Pro franchise. Got me all hot and bothered. I go to quite a few games at Rexall and I agree with other posters here, Nacho's and popcorn for sure, everything else is dog ****.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm not really concerned about paying a little more for good quality, variety and good service. I'd feel ripped off with junk being served with poor service even if the prices were low. If you eat at a restaurant and have a great meal and service, most people won't complain about the price.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
umm what? you kidding me? Rexall is by far the worst, and it's not even freaking close in terms of food quality. I've been to the majority of hockey stadiums and handful of baseball stadiums. "arena food" isn't just "arena food".
I'm going to assume you haven't actually had Rexall crap.

A vendor doesn't need to "prep" for it. In the food industry you go with the highest selling and most popular one. All you have to do is a quick survey or outsource that information from common templates. It's not hard. You can offer a smaller menu but better quality.

I'm literally losing my mind thinking that anyone can even come close to comparing/defending Rexall to any other establishment for a Pro franchise. Got me all hot and bothered. I go to quite a few games at Rexall and I agree with other posters here, Nacho's and popcorn for sure, everything else is dog ****.

This is probably what they are doing. They are offering products that maximize their profits. Do you think that they are trying to offer the crappiest food possible?

I had a pulled pork sandwich last night that was 8.75. I thought it was pretty good and the price wasn't that bad. It took a while to get. I don't think they have the capacity to offer more options - the concourses are already crowed.

I have asked these questions and nobody wants to answer them. People are just interested in complaining. Since you are all hot and bothered and know so much maybe you can answer these:

1) Why do you think food is so bad at Rexall? I think a lot more thought goes into pricing, options etc. than you think. If there is no thought going into it, then you have me and I can't defend it. I just think if I am running the business I am maximizing my profit and offering more options probably does not get me there.

2) If you were a vendor - would you take less profit in order to offer more options?

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
I'm not really concerned about paying a little more for good quality, variety and good service. I'd feel ripped off with junk being served with poor service even if the prices were low. If you eat at a restaurant and have a great meal and service, most people won't complain about the price.

There are some that complain about a $4 increase in a ticket, but are all of a sudden going to pay for quality food?

Again I think 8.75 for their pulled pork is a decent deal. It is similar to other sandwiches I have had at other arenas. The buffet at club level for $20 is reasonable.

Maybe to stop the complaining and my defending in this thread (it is pointless and no real need for it) - what would people like to see here? What have you had in other arena's that you would like to see at Rexall? Somebody already mentioned the pretzels. What has been some of the best food you have ordered at an arena?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My observation...we stood in line for 15 minutes waiting for a crappy over priced piece of Pizza 73 pizza for my son.

The attendants there didnt have the common sense to tell the 25 people in line that the pizza wasnt just cooking but that they were out of pizza. So they just let everybody wait until somebody spoke up and asked how long it was going to be.
Then they say oh...we are out of pizza. :help:

Its bad enough that they shake you down at the door to make sure you arent bringing in any higher quality food but and they force you to buy their crap if you happen to be hungry or thirsty. Then they top it off with crappy service.

What an utter disappointment only made possible because most people generally dont care about food quality. Tacos with fake crappy cheese...pizza with 2nd rate ingredients...draft beer I wouldnt drink if it was free.

What a joke.

Last edited:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
My observation...we stood in line for 15 minutes waiting for a crappy over priced piece of Pizza 73 pizza for my son.

The attendants there didnt have the common sense to tell the 25 people in line that the pizza wasnt just cooking but that they were out of pizza. So they just let everybody wait until somebody spoke up and asked how long it was going to be.
Then they say oh...we are out of pizza. :help:

Its bad enough that they shake you down at the door to make sure you arent bringing in any higher quality food but and they force you to buy their crap if you happen to be hungry or thirsty. The they top it off with crappy service.

What an utter disappointment only made possible because most people generally dont care about food quality. Tacos with fake crappy cheese...pizza with 2nd rate ingredients...draft beer I wouldnt drink if it was free.

What a joke.

Well said. I only get popcorn or ice cream when I go to games. Hard to get disappointed with those (although it has happened with some ice cream flavours).

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Then they say oh...we are out of pizza.
:help:

Its bad enough that they shake you down at the door to make sure you arent bringing in any higher quality food but and they force you to buy their crap if you happen to be hungry or thirsty. The they top it off with crappy service.

What a joke.

The bolded is brutal, and frankly unacceptable. It isn't hard to run a kitchen efficiently, especially one with pre-processed goods, and properly prepped ingredients. The new arena can't come fast enough.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well said. I only get popcorn or ice cream when I go to games. Hard to get disappointed with those (although it has happened with some ice cream flavours).

Yeah...the higher end (Hagan Daas?) ice cream is expensive but a far better option.

The bolded is brutal, and frankly unacceptable. It isn't hard to run a kitchen efficiently, especially one with pre-processed goods, and properly prepped ingredients. The new arena can't come fast enough.

I love your optimism that things will be better in the new arena but I am not sure why you think that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's basically the plan for the quality of the on ice product too. New arena + ??? = #Win

Lol...yeah I guess we could say that everything inside Rectall place is consistently crappy. :D

I am not sure how or why someone would think that anything is going to change just because the building is newer though.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Yeah...the higher end (Hagan Daas?) ice cream is expensive but a far better option.

I love your optimism that things will be better in the new arena but I am not sure why you think that.

Well, they seem to want a world class atmosphere with the new arena, top notch food options are a part of what makes an arena world class. If they drop the ball on that, I'd be mighty surprised.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Lol...yeah I guess we could say that everything inside Rectall place is consistently crappy. :D

I am not sure how or why someone would think that anything is going to change just because the building is newer though.

Somebody in this thread already mentioned that they will in fact be changing provider of their concessions for the new arena.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, they seem to want a world class atmosphere with the new arena, top notch food options are a part of what makes an arena world class. If they drop the ball on that, I'd be mighty surprised.

I sincerely hope you are right. I have been to a lot of arenas and I have to say that Rectall is far and away the worst food experince I have ever had. Its been that way for as long as I can remember. I have begun to think that Edmontonians that attend the games either dont know any better or just dont care because I cant understand why this has been a reality for so long now.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Somebody in this thread already mentioned that they will in fact be changing provider of their concessions for the new arena.

The real question is why would the Oilers think it's alright to not be concerned about food options for the next 2 years (and the previous 2-5 since the new arena became a thing).

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I sincerely hope you are right. I have been to a lot of arenas and I have to say that Rectall is far and away the worst food experince I have ever had. Its been that way for as long as I can remember. I have begun to think that Edmontonians that attend the games either dont know any better or just dont care because I cant understand why this has been a reality for so long now.

I can't disagree with the food more. Thank god, we're getting a new arena soon.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton

Easy, because Northlands isn't controlling it anymore. We already have confirmation that there will be franchises and restaurants in there. Aramark will not be.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The real question is why would the Oilers think it's alright to not be concerned about food options for the next 2 years (and the previous 2-5 since the new arena became a thing).

Easy, because Northlands isn't controlling it anymore. We already have confirmation that there will be franchises and restaurants in there. Aramark will not be.

Is it a Northlands decision, or do the Oilers have any control over the food options? I actually am not sure on this. Maybe it's out of the Oilers hands and we have Northlands to thank for our wonderful slop.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Thats true but Katz doesnt seem to have an issue charging top dollar to watch a bad hockey team.

I have a hard time believing that he will change his ways when it comes to food services.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Is it a Northlands decision, or do the Oilers have any control over the food options? I actually am not sure on this. Maybe it's out of the Oilers hands and we have Northlands to thank for our wonderful slop.

For sure it's Northlands. They have their hand in everything. There was a discussion if Katz got the proceeds from the food and beverage sales when he first bought the team and it was confirmed that Northlands contracts out to Aramark year round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad