OT: Anything Goes 9: Summer's Here! Festivals Abound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I crush it at Golden tee.

Considering Culk has a fastball that touches 80 and a BA around was it .400? You must have been playing for a high school that was also a rookie ball squad.

I use to be the king of GT. One of the best games of any kind, ever.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He's 6-3, built like a tank to smash HRs on every pitch, but still has speed to swipe 50 bags a year if for some reason when he makes contact it isn't a HR.

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yeah, not a golfer either, although most around me golf all the time and I'm always hearing about it's the greatest game and how I am missing out. If I want to get drunk and desecrate a fine patch of grass, I'll do so via slip and slide. Don't mind the driving range though, went for the first time recently, although I shoot like Happy Gilmore, still hit some moon shots though, cleared well over 300 when I connected. Like mini golf though, want to try that PGN place you guys are talking about.

You been playing the EA Sports Tiger Woods game or Golden Tee?

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Considering Culk has a fastball that touches 80 and a BA around was it .400? You must have been playing for a high school that was also a rookie ball squad.

:laugh:

Forgot about that.

I think it was like .600

Any time there's a brief and rare mention about what I can did when I played baseball or say something about what I can do baseball-related that relates to the OT discussion, you guys get uber-obsessive. You guys should get your panties out of a bunch.

I could probably only hit 65-67 that last year I played. I never pitched since I was, well, afraid of come-back line drives. There was a damn good travel team I didn't make since I didn't want to pitch. The team traveled all over the country and played in Florida, Omaha, etc. The coach told me that will all the tournaments, they needed everyone to be capable of pitching, even though I was told I was more than qualified to make the roster, and to stick with the team I had to play a year on. By high school, I was just middle-of-the pack as far as arm strength goes, unwilling to pitch, and didn't want to deal with come-back liners. Call me a *****. Really don't give a ****. If I would have been willing to pitch on occasion for the travel team back in the day :)laugh:), maybe I would have learned some things or improved some facets of my game that I could have lasted another year.

:)

Truth be told, I had around a .600 OBP and a .400 BA the year I played high school baseball. I didn't get picked the next year since my arm strength was just middle-of-the-pack. They overlooked a lot of the good things I did because they were obsessive about my arm. Coaches wanted me to be versatile. They knew I was smart and defensively-sound, so shortstop was a position they wanted me to learn, but they didn't give me a shot to prove I could handle it since they were hung up on my arm strength.

Throwing 75-78 at 18, coming up on 19, isn't that big of a feat. I think a lot of you would be surprised about how hard you guys could throw. I may be able to throw closer to my ceiling since I'm younger and not as rusty, but it's not a big deal.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
tumblr_maj47f2nBE1qzvb12o1_400.gif

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
It all worked out, though. Although I probably got snubbed out of an extra year of ball, I'm happy I did. No hard feelings. I had more time to study, keep my grades up, and get into the college I've always wanted to go to.

I should probably also mention that the program I was in won a state championship while I was still in high school. There was a lot of talent. A few of the kids just played against the USA collegiate team last week.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
So they were hung up on your arm strength, but wanted you to play SS.

Makes sense.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
So they were hung up on your arm strength, but wanted you to play SS.

Makes sense.

You didn't read it carefully enough.

They wanted me to play shortstop but never gave me the opportunity since they didn't think I had the arm strength to be an effective player there.

I played second base.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You didn't read it carefully enough.

They wanted me to play shortstop but never gave me the opportunity since they didn't think I had the arm strength to be an effective player there.

I played second base.

You're right, I didn't, and don't plan on it. Way too long. :laugh:

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
You're right, I didn't, and don't plan on it. Way too long. :laugh:

You guys are the ones that love reading and commenting on my comments anything baseball-related as far as actually playing the game, so don't ***** that it's too long after you **** talk.

;)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Wouldn't be any fun if we just sat around giving each other compliments and saying nice things. I'd go to a figure skating forum if I wanted that.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You hit .400 with a .600 obp and could touch 80 and the coaches doubted your arm strength.

My panties are fully unbunched. I played three years of high school baseball. Throwing 80 at that level with that batting average as a Freshmen? Unless you had six at bats against an inner city team it's pretty unbelievable that any coach at that level didn't give you a chance.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
You hit .400 with a .600 obp and could touch 80 and the coaches doubted your arm strength.

My panties are fully unbunched. I played three years of high school baseball. Throwing 80 at that level with that batting average as a Freshmen? Unless you had six at bats against an inner city team it's pretty unbelievable that any coach at that level didn't give you a chance.

I said I threw 65-67 consistently then.

I have a smaller frame, worked quality at-bats, and knew hot to get on base. I didn't hit for power, but I racked up a lot of walks, singles, and doubles. The only team that really stuck it to us was Neuqua Valley. **** them.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago

It was the high school politics

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
High school sports are not nearly as political as travel sports. The main reason is that high schools have hired coaching staffs. Travel teams have more of a family influence, meaning most of the coaches have a kid on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad