OT: Anything Goes 39

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Since Mark Lazerus brings up this topic:

In Canada we spell offence as the British spell it,ratgerctgan the American "offense"...Same for Defense,ratgerctgatvtge American "defense"....HOWEVEr you will find Canadians often using the American spelling too...same meaning..

More complex that this simple distinction is the fact that I Quebec the French spelling is "defense" on the French language ...so they are like the American spellings..

Another term used interchangeably in Canada is Centre =same as the French spelling,instead of the American "center".

My own preference(as I am in Ontario) is to use the French versions...Defense,offense,Centre when writing in English....except for the use off OFFENCE when describing a legal infraction rather than a spirtscterm.

But whether you are English Canadian,French Canadian or American,I think everybody understands what you mean by any o the above spellings for these terms thatvyou care to use.

So notcsure why Lazerus making a story out of this supposed difference of spellings.

We all get the meaning...so who cares?

Still I think you should use offence when describing legal infractions...

Center or Centre...really does not matter...all spirts fans understand what it means as to rilevon a line and location on the ice.

Notca spelling difference but a difference thatcrealky bothers Canadians is when American say "jerseys" instead of 'sweatters" ...or even more jarring is when American play by play persons (never from Canadian announcers who moved to the U.S. .when hired to do pkay call of hames for a U.S. based team) say "cage" instead of "net"....

Some hockey terms are sacred...it must be "sweatters" not jerseys...abd certainly not tge absurd "cage" ...it should Only be "net".

Finally...there isvonevtrrm hardly ever used anymore because pkayers simply seem to not be able to use it ...this is the term the latr great Montreal pkay by pkay voice Danny Halligan coined to describe the great slap shots of the game...hedrscribrda "cannonading " shot or blast...but now alk we seem to get iscthe occasional:booming" shot
..somehow "cannonadong" is a better description than "boomong"...butcas few use rhecskso shot anymore we hardly even get "boomkng" as a description anymore...ratger we see a plethora of wealth point shots that often are easily stopped by goalies or plain just miss the net way too often....at least that is tge case from Blackhawks point shots these days...Seth Jones does nit have a cannon ...more like a soft directional attempt at the net that accomplishes little....of forvthe days of a Hull or a Doug Wilson with cannonading slap shots.. where did they disappear to?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I am fully embracing my own 'old man yells at cloud' energy to say, NFTs are the dumbest of the dumb garbage.

I say this knowing full well it will have no impact, cause at this point the NFT movement is a freight train with no brakes, because the speculation markets are out of control, but I just felt the need to shout into the void, if only for simple catharsis.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I am fully embracing my own 'old man yells at cloud' energy to say, NFTs are the dumbest of the dumb garbage.

I say this knowing full well it will have no impact, cause at this point the NFT movement is a freight train with no brakes, because the speculation markets are out of control, but I just felt the need to shout into the void, if only for simple catharsis.
I’m patiently waiting to get out of crypto in general but I agree completely with NFT’s. Unless you’re well ahead of everyone else I can’t see how most people investing in these won’t lose a ton of money.

It sounds meatheaded but they really are just digital copies of artwork with no true value. I’m not getting involved in these whatsoever

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
My golf buddy and friend since middle school turned 1500 dollars into 1.1 million trading NFTs since February of last year. He says they are the absolute stupidest thing around. I’ve logged into his opensea account and seen it all. It’s real. Doesn’t make me want to do it, but I wonder the amount of people that trade them that actually believe in them.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
My golf buddy and friend since middle school turned 1500 dollars into 1.1 million trading NFTs since February of last year. He says they are the absolute stupidest thing around. I’ve logged into his opensea account and seen it all. It’s real. Doesn’t make me want to do it, but I wonder the amount of people that trade them that actually believe in them.
No one. It’s greater fools theory.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Hey if anyone has a reebok replica Kane or Hossa jersey that they want to trade for a red Toews I'm down.
I wear 2XL.

I inherited my godfather's authentic Toews when he passed away last year.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Either I have been hit with the weirdest cold of my life, or some variant of COVID finally claimed me. No cough, but my energy fell through the floor along with a scratchy throat and headache. I honestly feel like Im wearing a weight vest around the house.

GF is picking me up a rapid test from the pharmacy and Im just laying low in our guest bedroom watching attitude era WWF highlights.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Either I have been hit with the weirdest cold of my life, or some variant of COVID finally claimed me. No cough, but my energy fell through the floor along with a scratchy throat and headache. I honestly feel like Im wearing a weight vest around the house.

GF is picking me up a rapid test from the pharmacy and Im just laying low in our guest bedroom watching attitude era WWF highlights.
Feel better

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

Get better soon.

My wife tested positive Sunday, and again yesterday. Lots of sinus congestion, dry cough, some sneezing. She likened it to a cold.

Reactions: JaegerDice

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Get better soon.

My wife tested positive Sunday, and again yesterday. Lots of sinus congestion, dry cough, some sneezing. She likened it to a cold.

Thank you, sir. Hope your wife is feeling better!

Reactions: Giovi

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Hope you feel better soon. I know we all give each other shit about our hockey takes on here, but when it comes to health, I wish no ill on anyone, obviously. We're all in this together.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

There have been some nasty, non-COVID, non-flu viruses going around. I know a ton of people who have been sick with the same symptoms, and it wasn't COVID. I just got over something pretty similar.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

This was similar to what I felt but I had a few more issues. I am still dealing with chronic fatigue syndrome.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
There have been some nasty, non-COVID, non-flu viruses going around. I know a ton of people who have been sick with the same symptoms, and it wasn't COVID. I just got over something pretty similar.

Same here. Still got a lingering cough in fact and a bit of a stuffy nose, but otherwise fine.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I, presumably, had Omicrom back in December and this is how I felt. Maybe a bit of a sorer throat than you, but mostly you just feel exhausted and have headaches for a couple of days. It's nothing like the variants before it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well last night at work i started off shift sick but as night progressed it got worse. By the morning my sore throat and cough has progressed to horrible headache, chills and then I ended up throwing up at work (3 times)

Got home and decided to use that at home Covid test from government and it said I have COVID

Basically, have slept and had soup all day

In other news

Familiar face who would show up in TV/Movies thru nearly 4 decades of career

Chicago native and a Second City alum

RIP

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
As if the world needed more problems!

Yup....A 2nd collaboration between Justin Bieber and Tim Horton's is in the.... Appatently Beiber's 3 different Timbits flavors were big successes when tgat campaign was introduced ...so they will be collaborating again ...More sugary products to make people get faster and develop diabetes...unlikektvtgeycwoukd introduce a new healthy line of fat-free,sugar-free,carb-free ,hluten-feee items to promote healthier lifestyle....but tgen no ody would buy such foods.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yeah, knew a guy that was sicker than hell, I was sure it was the Rona but he tested negative.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Well last night at work i started off shift sick but as night progressed it got worse. By the morning my sore throat and cough has progressed to horrible headache, chills and then I ended up throwing up at work (3 times)

Got home and decided to use that at home Covid test from government and it said I have COVID

Basically, have slept and had soup all day

In other news

Familiar face who would show up in TV/Movies thru nearly 4 decades of career

Chicago native and a Second City alum

RIP

Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: ChiHawks10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad