OT: Anything Goes 39

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
What you guys use as a grill/smoker these days?

Need to buy a new one. Kind of want an egg, but I get 40% off if I buy directly from Traeger so that’s a little tempting.

Propane not even worth a consideration.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Need to buy a new one. Kind of want an egg, but I get 40% off if I buy directly from Traeger so that’s a little tempting.

I have multiples, and about to buy another.

Right now, Weber Spirit II E-310 gas for when I want/need a quick cook, or for easy stuff like hot dogs, when it's not worth firing up the kettle. Also use it as a warmer when having bbq's and parties. Weber 22" kettle. And about to buy a Weber Smokey Mountain. Don't know if I want the 22" or 18" yet.

Reactions: RayP

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Get a sous vide and a great cast iron skillet. Incredible combo.

I cook basically all my meat with it when I have time.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That’s not a grill.

I think we revoke BK's man card for suggesting to use sous vide instead of a grill. ;)

Kidding, obviously. Anyone can cook however they want. I just think you can't replace the smoke and char you get from using open flame and charcoal/wood. It's just not the same. And before it's suggested by someone, f*** liquid smoke. That shit is nasty.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
It's apples and oranges. The sous vide appeals to a more refined palate. It cooks everything perfectly and evenly, and allows flavors that are otherwise overwhelmed by smoke. Anyone can throw meat on a charcoal grill and have it come out well.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It's apples and oranges. The sous vide appeals to a more refined palate. It cooks everything perfectly and evenly, and allows flavors that are otherwise overwhelmed by smoke. Anyone can throw meat on a charcoal grill and have it come out well.

Nah.

Don’t you not even eat meat?

Cooking a perfect piece of meat on any type of grill is much more difficult than just setting a temp and time on a sous vide and walking away.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Nah.

Cooking a perfect piece of meat on any type of grill is much more difficult than just setting a temp and time on a sous vide and walking away.

Not quite that simple.

And let’s not act like grilling is hard because it is not. Grilling and sous vide are no different from a skill level.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't care how good sous vide is, you can't replace the char and smoke from cooking meats on the grill.

You can easily get the crust/char but not the smoke. (You can but it takes a lot more time and the process is the same).

And no I would not use liquid smoke....gross.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Nah.

I eat fish and poultry.

And yes, the actual cooking of the sous vide isn't hard -- I didn't say it was. But it cooks everything perfectly and evenly, and allows for flavors that aren't infused with smoke. The marinades and spices come through in a way that they simply don't on a grill.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Typically if I have, for example, a pork roast I'll sous vide with a bunch of spices/rub and cook for 24+ hours. Then remove and take it to the grill for 30-60 min to get the char and BBQ smokiness. The inside will be perfectly cooked and the outside grilled the way I like. To each his own.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Not quite that simple.

And let’s not act like grilling is hard because it is not. Grilling and sous vide are no different from a skill level.

I have used a sous vide quite a bit, it’s really not that difficult or complicated to use once you know your temps for each meat.

I guess if you don’t care what temp your meat is it’s not difficult to grill. It’s a lot more difficult to maintain the proper heat to tgen cool a perfect piece of meat, chicken, burger, whatever. Too many people obliterate whatever they’re cooking on a grill and just cook anything and everything well done. Watching the average schmuck cook a burger and press it as hard as they can with a spatula is just torture to watch.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I eat fish and poultry.

And yes, the actual cooking of the sous vide isn't hard -- I didn't say it was. But it cooks everything perfectly and evenly, and allows for flavors that aren't infused with smoke. The marinades and spices come through in a way that they simply don't on a grill.

Yes, no denying that. You can still marinade and get good flavor on a grill. I love a chimichurri marinated chicken thighs cooked at a low temp on a grill.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I have used a sous vide quite a bit, it’s really not that difficult or complicated to use once you know your temps for each meat.

I guess if you don’t care what temp your meat is it’s not difficult to grill. It’s a lot more difficult to maintain the proper heat to tgen cool a perfect piece of meat, chicken, burger, whatever. Too many people obliterate whatever they’re cooking on a grill and just cook anything and everything well done. Watching the average schmuck cook a burger and press it as hard as they can with a spatula is just torture to watch.

People who can’t maintain or control temps on a grill are idiots as it is not hard at all. Just takes experience.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You can easily get the crust/char but not the smoke. (You can but it takes a lot more time and the process is the same).

And no I would not use liquid smoke....gross.

If you throw it on a grill or in a cast iron skillet, or cast iron grate on your stove, sure. But then you have to alter the temp you're cooking with sous vide, to compensate for then cooking it again to char/sear it.

I get it. Sous vide is good. It's just not the same as the grill, and won't ever be comparable. It's like hawksrule said, it's comparing apples to oranges.

And I'm with Ray here. Grilling/Smoking meats is an art, and far more difficult than vacuum packing something with a marinade/seasoning, and then throwing it in some temp controlled water. Maintaining grill/smoker temps is far more difficult than a device doing it for you in water. So many more factors to worry about. Outside air temp, wind speed and direction, coal/wood burn rates, keeping any wood smoking properly without bad/sour smoke. Setting up heat zones, and knowing how to use them, so on and so forth. Electric smokers are cheating, so don't bother bringing them up.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayP and Mrfenn92

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
People who can’t maintain or control temps on a grill are idiots as it is not hard at all. Just takes experience.

Propane maybe.

Keeping a steady temp for hours is not something anyone can just jump in and do. Have you ever smoked anything for 10+ hours? Maintaining a good even temp is no easy task.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Propane maybe.

Keeping a steady temp for hours is not something anyone can just jump in and do. Have you ever smoked anything for 10+ hours? Maintaining a good even temp is no easy task.

It takes years to get really good at it, and even then, you still can't ever perfect it, because there are so many outside factors that can affect it. Even each cut of meat will be different, and cook differently. I've cooked pork shoulders that are basically the same size, and my process is always the same, and one takes 8 hours to cook, and one takes 12 hours to cook.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It takes years to get really good at it, and even then, you still can't ever perfect it, because there are so many outside factors that can affect it. Even each cut of meat will be different, and cook differently. I've cooked pork shoulders that are basically the same size, and my process is always the same, and one takes 8 hours to cook, and one takes 12 hours to cook.

Yeah I’m still not great at it. Finally thought I nailed it while smoking a brisket for 12 hours until I realized my thermostat just broke and was stuck on the temperature I wanted it to be at. :laugh:

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah I’m still not great at it. Finally thought I nailed it while smoking a brisket for 12 hours until I realized my thermostat just broke and was stuck on the temperature I wanted it to be at. :laugh:

Even if you're great at it, it's not easy to do, and will be a different experience every single time.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
If you throw it on a grill or in a cast iron skillet, or cast iron grate on your stove, sure. But then you have to alter the temp you're cooking with sous vide, to compensate for then cooking it again to char/sear it.

I get it. Sous vide is good. It's just not the same as the grill, and won't ever be comparable. It's like hawksrule said, it's comparing apples to oranges.

And I'm with Ray here. Grilling/Smoking meats is an art, and far more difficult than vacuum packing something with a marinade/seasoning, and then throwing it in some temp controlled water. Maintaining grill/smoker temps is far more difficult than a device doing it for you in water. So many more factors to worry about. Outside air temp, wind speed and direction, coal/wood burn rates, keeping any wood smoking properly without bad/sour smoke. Setting up heat zones, and knowing how to use them, so on and so forth. Electric smokers are cheating, so don't bother bringing them up.

What about the coriolis effect of the earth?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Nah.

Not really. If you're flipping your steak more than once then you're probably doing something wrong. Cooked wagyu a bunch of times over the last year on my Weber 2-burner and it's basically just med-high heat for 7-8 minutes on each side (depending on the size and desired temp).

Cooking steak in a bag sounds a little gross though

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

It does take years. I’ve had the advantage up here of learning from a pro up here so the small tips and tricks have been given to me which helps. Then you have the wood and variants.

Sous vide is not close to a simple as you make it out as the finishing takes skill.

I actually use the sous vide when I make chicken on the grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad