OT: Anything Goes 39

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Somehow ending up back in Chicago as an adult. What the move in Chicago right now? Don't want to really live in the suburbs like Downers Grove and shit. I'd rather be in the city a little.

Could always move to Mount Greenwood and live with police/firefighter families or move to one of the border Suburbs like Evergreen Park or Oak Lawn which are still close enough to city are decently built up

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
How bad is the market out that way?

Insane. It's pretty much good luck finding anything in a decent neighborhood for under like 500k. Unless you're talking about the outlying neighborhoods like Mt. Greenwood and such. Anything in a decent to nice neighborhood, like... IN the city, is 500k+.

Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Insane. It's pretty much good luck finding anything in a decent neighborhood for under like 500k. Unless you're talking about the outlying neighborhoods like Mt. Greenwood and such. Anything in a decent to nice neighborhood, like... IN the city, is 500k+.

Housing market is just depressing these days anywhere desirable to be.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Housing market is just depressing these days anywhere desirable to be.

For 500k you can buy a f***ing mansion in the suburbs. f*** the city. It sucks. Everything is more expensive. I'm perfectly fine just visiting the bars and restaurants occasionally. The city is for young people with no kids. Anyone I ever knew who lived in the city, moved out as soon as they got married and had kids. It's just not practical, unless you're f***ing loaded.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
For 500k you can buy a f***ing mansion in the suburbs. f*** the city. It sucks. Everything is more expensive. I'm perfectly fine just visiting the bars and restaurants occasionally. The city is for young people with no kids. Anyone I ever knew who lived in the city, moved out as soon as they got married and had kids. It's just not practical, unless you're f***ing loaded.

I’m anti suburb personally and would much rather have a place as close to the city as possible.

I dont really understand the appeal of city life

You can have best of both worlds by living in Suburbs and being able to just jump on train for day or night in city if you desire

Also everything costs more in city and you pay out of your ass in taxes for in many cases subpar services

It’s not really the best of both worlds because people always say that but 99/100 only go back to the city like 1-2 times a year.

I also value my time a lot and will pay a lot more to live where I’ll spend most my time so I’m not wasting hours and hours each month driving.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
I dont really understand the appeal of city life

You can have best of both worlds by living in Suburbs and being able to just jump on train for day or night in city if you desire

Also everything costs more in city and you pay out of your ass in taxes for in many cases subpar services
Growing up in the city I do say I miss living there but there is no way I could afford it. I really liked going weeks without driving and I miss the food.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Growing up in the city I do say I missing living there but there is no way I could afford it. I really liked going weeks without driving and I miss the food.

I’m with you there.

I left 10+ years ago now and still miss the food daily…. And I travel to cities with amazing food often.

Reactions: Ace Rothstein

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
When you say the city I'm assuming you mean downtown and not the city proper?
Yes preferably but I mean I’m open to things, just trying to get an idea on what places are desirable right now. My parents are retiring, I’m 25 with no kids and a girlfriend I probably plan to marry.

recruiter hit me with a remote position and I took it because my girlfriend is doing grad school at university of Chicago.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Don’t live in Gold Coast or River North. You’ll never get any peace and quiet. I’ve been living in the Gold Coast for years and if it weren’t for the convenience of getting to and from work it’s my least favorite neighborhood despite the apartment being the nicest.

If you’re buying, go buy in West Town or Ukranian. You’re 2 miles away from all the neighborhoods and you can still have a peaceful (by city standards) life.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
See above. No kids. I’d like to spend like 450-550 but I guess it depends on the property and stuff. I got approved for 600k from the bank but I dont wanna be house poor
You can afford just about anywhere outside of the most expensive neighborhoods. Next thing I'd try to think about would be whether you want a SFH, condo, etc and whether you'd prefer being near transit or somewhere with easier parking.

Reactions: TLEH

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
You can afford just about anywhere outside of the most expensive neighborhoods. Next thing I'd try to think about would be whether you want a SFH, condo, etc and whether you'd prefer being near transit or somewhere with easier parking.
Yeah. I’ve been looking at Ukrainian village and stuff, looks like a cool area. Is Woodlawn near the lake getting any better or is it still pretty rough over there

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
See above. No kids. I’d like to spend like 450-550 but I guess it depends on the property and stuff. I got approved for 600k from the bank but I dont wanna be house poor

You can get a real nice home in Mount Greenwood in that price range or lower and live in a generally quiet and low crime area of Chicago

Would be even better if in longrun you plan to have a family as its one of the best area's of Chicago to raise a family

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Yeah. I’ve been looking at Ukrainian village and stuff, looks like a cool area. Is Woodlawn near the lake getting any better or is it still pretty rough over there
Woodlawn is changing but very slowly. Not sure I'd feel safe there. Your girlfriend pushing that going to UC?

Reactions: ChiHawks10

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Woodlawn is changing but very slowly. Not sure I'd feel safe there. Your girlfriend pushing that going to UC?
No. I just was wondering as its close by and some of the properties closer to the lake side seem nicer but yeah you go west and its a little wild.

She said she doesn't mind anywhere but Im trying to be relatively close by. Thanks for the info.

I may check back and ask a little bit about other neighborhoods if I find something I like.

Reactions: Ace Rothstein

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica

Just became a homeowner in Old Town/Gold Coast last year. I was 25 when I bought it last August and got a one-bed, one-bath highrise. It's a great place area to live. I got a steal on my place ($24oK-ish) because I bought it in the middle of the pandemic and someone panicked and listed it. I like living here more than Wrigley where I was because I'm more centralized and there's plenty of places in the area to be a degenerate. lol

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just became a homeowner in Old Town/Gold Coast last year. I was 25 when I bought it last August and got a one-bed, one-bath highrise. It's a great place area to live. I got a steal on my place ($24oK-ish) because I bought it in the middle of the pandemic and someone panicked and listed it. I like living here more than Wrigley where I was because I'm more centralized and there's plenty of places in the area to be a degenerate. lol

:laugh: very true

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

that seems like a complete steal of a deal

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You can get a real nice home in Mount Greenwood in that price range or lower and live in a generally quiet and low crime area of Chicago

Would be even better if in longrun you plan to have a family as its one of the best area's of Chicago to raise a family
I mean if you are going to spend that kind of money and settle near mt greenwood Evergreen Park/Oak Lawn are the play. Suburbs touching Chicago without Chicago taxes. I lived in EP and own in EP. Way better public schools for cheaper prices. Outside of being a city worker that has to live in Chicago proper you are literally burning money by living in Mt Greenwood instead of Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park. Very similar neighborhoods to safe southside Chicago neighborhoods at cheaper prices.

I own in Evergreen. Two miles by two miles. Chicago is south, east, and north of my house. No suburbs between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad