OT: Anything Goes 38

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If I was to pick a metro area to live in, it would be the Twin Cities. I can't deal with the warm weather of the south, and it's a short hike to the things that I like to do: fishing/boating(land of 10k lakes lol) access to dark skies for my astronomy hobby, hockey and baseball culture, etc. Unfortunately due to my limited income potential, I'll never get that opportunity. I wouldn't live close to either Minneapolis or St. Paul, but rather on the northern outskirts of the metro area. I've grown up living right on the edge of the Chicago Burbs and wouldn't want it any other way. An hour to the city, an hour to the country. A couple miles west of where I live there's farms, and a couple miles east you're in the heavy Chicago Metro area. It's just so damn hard for me to find work, I'll never get to move there.

Now that we have a kid on the way we have 100% decided on Westminster or Broomfield out in Colorado.

If we didn’t have a kid on the way I’d maybe consider Park City. The winters suck with all the tourists but spring through fall is absolutely incredible.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Hell, I don’t know why anyone who wants suburbs wouldn’t just go across the border to Indiana. Much more affordable, lower taxes, better schools, and close enough to commute.
Taxes are starting to go up if you earn out of state in NW Indiana. I’ve been looking in Hobart and Cedar Lake. Biggest issue is my ex just bought a house in Blue Island.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
School quality varies from area to area. There are some real dogshit schools in both Illinois, good schools throughout, and Indiana and some really amazing gems here and there both as well.

Champaign had good schools and Bloomington-Normal seems like they have good schools as well, and as someone that used to live in Evanston and with family in Oak Park, ETHS, OPRF, and New Trier are all amazing. For Indiana, I know some rural areas and inner city Indy and Gary schools stink, but there are really quality ones as well.

Basically, you just need a median income map of an area to find out where good schools are for the most part, as property valuation is basically how it's all funded.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hell, I don’t know why anyone who wants suburbs wouldn’t just go across the border to Indiana. Much more affordable, lower taxes, better schools, and close enough to commute.

The number of confederate flags would turn me off, personally. And for the school system supposedly being so good, there sure are a whole shitload of ignorant mother f***ers there. I loathe going into the stores in NW Indiana. Last time I was at Cabela's I would have thought I had leprosy with how I was looked at for wearing a f***ing mask... No thanks.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Now that we have a kid on the way we have 100% decided on Westminster or Broomfield out in Colorado.

If we didn’t have a kid on the way I’d maybe consider Park City. The winters suck with all the tourists but spring through fall is absolutely incredible.
Did you make the move to CO?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
D2278C57-D68C-45EE-AC0E-86C593877ACB.gif

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The number of confederate flags would turn me off, personally. And for the school system supposedly being so good, there sure are a whole shitload of ignorant mother f***ers there. I loathe going into the stores in NW Indiana. Last time I was at Cabela's I would have thought I had leprosy with how I was looked at for wearing a f***ing mask... No thanks.

Drove through Idaho and hit a few spots while we were there 2 weeks ago. Got the vibe that those people thought I was some p***y for wearing a mask.

This country is too big. Too many people in it. Too many people feeling completely different ways about fundamental ideologies we all need to come together on.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Drove through Idaho and hit a few spots while we were there 2 weeks ago. Got the vibe that those people thought I was some p***y for wearing a mask.

This country is too big. Too many people in it. Too many people feeling completely different ways about fundamental ideologies we all need to come together on.

I used to think once I was older and all my kids were grown, that I wanted to live in a more rural area, away from the big cities. The last few years have completely changed my mind on that. There's zero chance I could deal with the overwhelming majority of people living in rural America, as they exist today. They are far too ignorant, antiquated, and uneducated for me to be able to stand them. It's been an eye opener. White rural America is quite literally 50 years behind the rest of society when it comes to their beliefs.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I used to think once I was older and all my kids were grown, that I wanted to live in a more rural area, away from the big cities. The last few years have completely changed my mind on that. There's zero chance I could deal with the overwhelming majority of people living in rural America, as they exist today. They are far too ignorant, antiquated, and uneducated for me to be able to stand them. It's been an eye opener. White rural America is quite literally 50 years behind the rest of society when it comes to their beliefs.

Not to mention, White dudes in pickup trucks might be the most asshole drivers in the country, and rural America is full of them. No thank you

Reactions: Pez68

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I've seen similar qualities in lower-income urban areas. I wouldn't want to move back out to the rural life, but let's not act like the city is only home to the enlightened and well-educated.

Reactions: Pez68 and Mrfenn92

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Nah. Prius, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and pickup (one who don’t need them) drivers are the worst.

In the spirit of honesty, I drive a BMW.

No way. Across the board BMW drivers are always the biggest dickheads on the road. Not even a close second.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
No way. Across the board BMW drivers are always the biggest dickheads on the road. Not even a close second.
Tesla is certainly making a strong case, based on the few I've encountered. They likely traded in their BMW for the Tesla.

Reactions: RayP

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've seen similar qualities in lower-income urban areas. I wouldn't want to move back out to the rural life, but let's not act like the city is only home to the enlightened and well-educated.

Absolutely. Those problems are 100% tied to income and lack of education. The problem I have with the ignorant in rural areas is that they wear their lack of education and anti-science bullshit as some kind of badge of honor. It's f***ing madness.

The worst drivers on the roads overwhelmingly drive "crossover" SUVs. CRV's and RAV4's, in particular. Next up is Prius drivers, as a close second. Then come pickup drivers.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't find drivers to be terrible by make. What class of vehicle they drive is the determining factor. Hybrid drivers and crossover drivers take the cake. It's not even close.

Reactions: ChiHawks10 and BK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad