OT: Anything Goes 38

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Nope. She interviewed great. Our interview process is about 6 interviews and a pretty intense accounting test both for knowledge and with excel. Nailed it all.

2 days in I sent my boss a message warning her I’m getting strong vibes she just wants a paycheck, and has a clock in clock out mentality. We were very transparent that this position is going to require pulling some long days until we get caught up, and that might take a few months since we’ve been short staffed for a few months.

She quit the next morning (today).

My boss offered her a part time position (which I couldn’t disagree with more) and basically begged her to take it. She still said no.

What are long days?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
What are long days?

We had told her she might have to work some 10-12 hour days during month end but we try to make up for it with some off days during the middle of the month.... and that we were planning to hire one more person after her so we can all get back to a manageable workload, but we weren’t going to rush and hire a shit candidate just for the sake of it.

And comparatively speaking, 10-12 hours for this kind of position isn’t bad at all especially compared to what the rest of us are doing right now. It is a salaried position, though, so no OT but the company is very generous with random bonuses and gift cards and shit.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don’t know enough to answer this question, but been reading about these recent Sinclair TV/media deals....

Why don’t sports leagues just come out with their own streaming service at this point? The ONLY reason I’ll ever want cable is for sports. I’d happily rather pay $20/month just to watch all NHL content.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
We had told her she might have to work some 10-12 hour days during month end but we try to make up for it with some off days during the middle of the month.... and that we were planning to hire one more person after her so we can all get back to a manageable workload, but we weren’t going to rush and hire a shit candidate just for the sake of it.

And comparatively speaking, 10-12 hours for this kind of position isn’t bad at all especially compared to what the rest of us are doing right now. It is a salaried position, though, so no OT but the company is very generous with random bonuses and gift cards and shit.

So those first few days, how many hours did she work? I'll be perfectly honest here. There's zero f***ing chance I'd take a job working 10-12 hour days with any amount of regularity. Especially at a salaried position. Add the commute onto those 10-12 hours, and when do you have time to actually LIVE? You'd have to be paying me $400-500k a year for me to even consider making that kind of time sacrifice into my personal life. Or I would have to be extremely desperate for a job. Working 10-12 hours days is absurd, really.

The fact that people think "10-12 hours isn't bad at all" is a huge problem. It's no wonder we're so out of shape and unhealthy. All people do is work and sleep. There's no time for anything else.

Don't take this as a personal attack against you, by the way. I'm attacking the bullshit system in this country that has conditioned people to believe regularly working more than 8-9 hour days is perfectly acceptable. It's not, and it should not be.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
So those first few days, how many hours did she work? I'll be perfectly honest here. There's zero f***ing chance I'd take a job working 10-12 hour days with any amount of regularity. Especially at a salaried position. Add the commute onto those 10-12 hours, and when do you have time to actually LIVE? You'd have to be paying me $400-500k a year for me to even consider making that kind of time sacrifice into my personal life. Or I would have to be extremely desperate for a job. Working 10-12 hours days is absurd, really.

The fact that people think "10-12 hours isn't bad at all" is a huge problem. It's no wonder we're so out of shape and unhealthy. All people do is work and sleep. There's no time for anything else.

Don't take this as a personal attack against you, by the way. I'm attacking the bullshit system in this country that has conditioned people to believe regularly working more than 8-9 hour days is perfectly acceptable. It's not, and it should not be.

I’d say she maybe worked for 4-5 hours a day, but she knew what she was getting into and we didn’t blindside her with anything. We were very transparent about everything and had she done her research she knew what she was getting into. Maybe she was hoping we were exaggerating when we interviewed her, I don’t know.

Our business has absolutely exploded with Covid and none of us want to be working these hours right now..... but it’s just life for us right now and there is a nice piece of equity on the line that to me is worth working these hours during these times to keep.

Either way, incredibly shitty of her to throw the towel in with no notice or anything when all of this was on the table before her first day.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Realtor gets asked by multiple parties over the span of a week what their commission is on a closing: *silence*
Same realtor shows up to closing only to find out a check's not ready for him and the closing statement that was already signed and closed upon isn't being re-worked:
Ideas_Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg

I mean FFS, you're being asked how much you're getting paid and you're not responding, you worthless relic of an institution within a worthless relic of an industry.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I’d say she maybe worked for 4-5 hours a day, but she knew what she was getting into and we didn’t blindside her with anything. We were very transparent about everything and had she done her research she knew what she was getting into. Maybe she was hoping we were exaggerating when we interviewed her, I don’t know.

Our business has absolutely exploded with Covid and none of us want to be working these hours right now..... but it’s just life for us right now and there is a nice piece of equity on the line that to me is worth working these hours during these times to keep.

Either way, incredibly shitty of her to throw the towel in with no notice or anything when all of this was on the table before her first day.

Yeah that's bullshit. Who knows what the reason is though. Maybe she just didn't think it was a fit. Did she give any reasoning?

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
I once recommended a friend for a job that I thought she would be great for. She interviewed well and was hired. She came to me about an hour or two into her first day and said, "Sorry, I can't do this" and walked out. Very embarrassing for me.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

We have such a distorted relationship with work in this country. There are so many people working 6 days a week, or 5 days a week 10+ hours a day. Think about what that actually does to your life.

Life is supposed to be hard, and when you have a family you’re going to do whatever you have to do, but it sucks to see. So many people aren’t able to make quality time for themselves and live a fulfilling life.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

It might just be my inner railroader but f*** corporate. You’re promised one thing and given another. I never hate on anyone for saying one thing to corporate and doing another. You’re expendable to them. They should be expendable to you.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

We just sent guys from our yard to St. Louis where they regularly work fourteen hour days but because of our contract they work fourteen hour days but get paid for sixteen. It’s considered a Cush gig.

f*** every bit of that.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Anyone in Chicago needs to be on watch for not only gunshots but these paintball assholes that seem to be escalating attacks over last month +

Someone I know was shot at a few days ago (They aim for your face at bus stops , walking down street , etc) and have been hitting various area's nightly injuring people (Several have had major eye injuries)

Have shot people with paintballs at two locations already this afternoon

Police were chasing one of the vehicles a couple weeks ago but were ordered to stop pursuit

Seem to be a large group carrying it out in multiple vehicles or multiple copycats picking up on it and doing it

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Anyone in Chicago needs to be on watch for not only gunshots but these paintball assholes that seem to be escalating attacks over last month +

Someone I know was shot at a few days ago (They aim for your face at bus stops , walking down street , etc) and have been hitting various area's nightly injuring people (Several have had major eye injuries)

Have shot people with paintballs at two locations already this afternoon

Police were chasing one of the vehicles a couple weeks ago but were ordered to stop pursuit

Seem to be a large group carrying it out in multiple vehicles or multiple copycats picking up on it and doing it

Scumbags. I’m sure folks will defend these clowns when they attack the wrong person packing something a little more lethal.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I can't wait to move out of Chicago. This has been a bad, bad year for the city and the people that live in it.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I here that.
Where you thinking about?

Well we WERE thinking about living in the Southwest burbs(Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton) to be halfway between my parents and my wife's mom but the property values are looking way to high. All the housing websites we see are showing these 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, 1200 square feet homes for over $350K. It's wild.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I can't wait to move out of Chicago. This has been a bad, bad year for the city and the people that live in it.

I didn’t love Atlanta but if for some reason you forced me to go back to Chicago or Atlanta I wouldn’t even consider Chicago. It’s such a drag to go home and visit for me. Love my family and spending time with them, but hate the actual area.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Well we WERE thinking about living in the Southwest burbs(Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton) to be halfway between my parents and my wife's mom but the property values are looking way to high. All the housing websites we see are showing these 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, 1200 square feet homes for over $350K. It's wild.

Agreed.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Have you looked at place like Lombard?

Its probably got some older homes for cheaper with similar size or bigger with good potential with a little bit of investing/repair work. Went thru there a few years back and it seemed like good area

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I didn’t love Atlanta but if for some reason you forced me to go back to Chicago or Atlanta I wouldn’t even consider Chicago. It’s such a drag to go home and visit for me. Love my family and spending time with them, but hate the actual area.
If I was to pick a metro area to live in, it would be the Twin Cities. I can't deal with the warm weather of the south, and it's a short hike to the things that I like to do: fishing/boating(land of 10k lakes lol) access to dark skies for my astronomy hobby, hockey and baseball culture, etc. Unfortunately due to my limited income potential, I'll never get that opportunity. I wouldn't live close to either Minneapolis or St. Paul, but rather on the northern outskirts of the metro area. I've grown up living right on the edge of the Chicago Burbs and wouldn't want it any other way. An hour to the city, an hour to the country. A couple miles west of where I live there's farms, and a couple miles east you're in the heavy Chicago Metro area. It's just so damn hard for me to find work, I'll never get to move there.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If I was to pick a metro area to live in, it would be the Twin Cities. I can't deal with the warm weather of the south, and it's a short hike to the things that I like to do: fishing/boating(land of 10k lakes lol) access to dark skies for my astronomy hobby, hockey and baseball culture, etc. Unfortunately due to my limited income potential, I'll never get that opportunity. I wouldn't live close to either Minneapolis or St. Paul, but rather on the northern outskirts of the metro area. I've grown up living right on the edge of the Chicago Burbs and wouldn't want it any other way. An hour to the city, an hour to the country. A couple miles west of where I live there's farms, and a couple miles east you're in the heavy Chicago Metro area. It's just so damn hard for me to find work, I'll never get to move there.

The Twin CIties are a fine place to live. The job market here is really good so you might be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad