Chicagoland
What a bunch of nonsense

I like how they threw in defund the CPD and anti-Lightfoot crap in there

I am sure there are a few others (Abolish prisons maybe?) mixed in as well

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
can't believe these are even ideas people think will help their cause...especially abolishing prisons
I mean I believe personally we should do a 3 strike rule. After 3 attempts of social rehabilitation, send what would be prisoners to a penal colony in Africa and take away their citizenship. Vote me Philadelphia

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I mean I believe personally we should do a 3 strike rule. After 3 attempts of social rehabilitation, send what would be prisoners to a penal colony in Africa and take away their citizenship. Vote me Philadelphia

I think Africa would have problem with that

But in essence you want us to create a new Australia

I believe non violent offenders should receive plenty of support to turn lives around but that it should be prioritized for those who actually want to turn lives around. Plenty of people show no desire to change ways , etc

Also when it comes to violence only a small segment of violent criminals can truly be reformed IMO

At end of day there is plenty of reforms we can implement for prison but abolishment is absurd

"Reform Prisons" and "Fund Diversion Programs" would be better slogans for them and more receptive to greater public

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think Africa would have problem with that

But in essence you want us to create a new Australia

I believe non violent offenders should receive plenty of support to turn lives around but that it should be prioritized for those who actually want to turn lives around. Plenty of people show no desire to change ways , etc

Also when it comes to violence only a small segment of violent criminals can truly be reformed IMO

At end of day there is plenty of reforms we can implement for prison but abolishment is absurd

"Reform Prisons" and "Fund Diversion Programs" would be better slogans for them and more receptive to greater public

I mean... private prisons being f***ing for-profit businesses is the biggest issue with the prison system... the privatization of prisons is a gigantic cluster f*** of a mess that needs to go away.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I mean... private prisons being f***ing for-profit businesses is the biggest issue with the prison system... the privatization of prisons is a gigantic cluster f*** of a mess that needs to go away.

politicians could change this but who knows how much lobbiest money is involved...

Reactions: ChiHawks10

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Government-run prisons are not much better, they are typically underfunded as well. The focus needs to be fewer people in prison, non-violent offenders with minimal sentences unless a serious offence ala Madoff. There is no economic system that is going to be able to support the %% of the population we currently have in prisons.

I was just watching the Vick doc the other day and forgot they gave him two years although some were advocating for more.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Government-run prisons are not much better, they are typically underfunded as well. The focus needs to be fewer people in prison, non-violent offenders with minimal sentences unless a serious offence ala Madoff. There is no economic system that is going to be able to support the %% of the population we currently have in prisons.

I was just watching the Vick doc the other day and forgot they gave him two years although some were advocating for more.

You do realize why there are so many people in these private prisons, right?

The Business Model of Private Prisons

The entire prison system needs to be reformed, but private prisons are probably the biggest piece of it...

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You do realize why there are so many people in these private prisons, right?

The Business Model of Private Prisons

The entire prison system needs to be reformed, but private prisons are probably the biggest piece of it...

Yeah, and the point of my post was not the models but keeping people out. If you're going to have a private system you need oversight, regulations and audits by the government, probably not happening.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah, and the point of my post was not the models but keeping people out. If you're going to have a private system you need oversight, regulations and audits by the government, probably not happening.

Right. You can't keep people out when those who run the prisons, and allow the prisons to run how they do, are getting rich from it. Petty crimes are keeping people incarcerated for years upon years. The entire criminal justice system in this country is f***ed, and needs reform, and the privatization of prisons is a huge reason why.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Right. You can't keep people out when those who run the prisons and allow the prisons to run how they do, are getting rich from it.

They are not the ones handing down the sentence but I can see the conflict of interest in rehabilitation and getting them out. The focus should be on getting people out and on the right track. I don't know every aspect of the model but they should not benefit from keeping people there longer due to additional offences, although difficult to judge as additional time could be warranted.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
They are not the ones handing down the sentence but I can see the conflict of interest in rehabilitation and getting them out. The focus should be on getting people out and on the right track. I don't know every aspect of the model but they should not benefit from keeping people there longer due to additional offences, although difficult to judge as additional time could be warranted.

I added some stuff in an edit. The entire criminal justice system in this country is corrupt, and needs reform. Starting in the courts, and moving all the way down to the private prisons. It's all an issue, but private prisons being rewarded based upon the amount of prisoners they have incarcerated, and the length of those incarcerations, is outrageous, and a huge issue... I'm not sure what we're even arguing at this point. There is no refuting that the privatization of prisons is a gigantic f***ing mess, filled with criminal activity in and of itself...

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
In Montana on my honeymoon. I don't think a more beautiful place in the US exists. I've been to Oahu, Costa Rica, and the Blue Mountains in Tennessee, and I think Montana takes the cake. This whole State is breathtaking and I can see why there are so many transplants from other States living here now.

We originally wanted to do Hawaii but COVID made that nearly impossible. We then changed our minds to do a wine country + Northern California trip but COVID + the wildfires made it really hard to commit to flights, resort reservations, and things to do. So we ended up choosing Montana. It's completely gorgeous here. We get to be out in the wilderness when the sun is out and then come back to a hot shower, relaxing dinner, and free wine in a luxury Estate. Plus it's not costing us over $10,000 like Hawaii easily would have.

I don't know why I'm telling you internet strangers this business but after the last 7 months my wife and I have had, being able to get married TWICE (had to get married in a Catholic Church too -_- ) and have an amazing honeymoon is sooooo far off from where we thought we'd be a few months ago. We originally had to cancel our 200 person wedding back in June and it was devastating. Thought we weren't going to be able to have a real wedding but we pulled it off and it was completely perfect except for not being able to have all the people there we originally had in mind.

I feel really lucky that this was all able to happen so I figured I'd share with you all as a small reminder than some great things are still able to happen during this pandemic. Hopefully great things are headed all your way too!

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
In Montana on my honeymoon. I don't think a more beautiful place in the US exists. I've been to Oahu, Costa Rica, and the Blue Mountains in Tennessee, and I think Montana takes the cake. This whole State is breathtaking and I can see why there are so many transplants from other States living here now.

We originally wanted to do Hawaii but COVID made that nearly impossible. We then changed our minds to do a wine country + Northern California trip but COVID + the wildfires made it really hard to commit to flights, resort reservations, and things to do. So we ended up choosing Montana. It's completely gorgeous here. We get to be out in the wilderness when the sun is out and then come back to a hot shower, relaxing dinner, and free wine in a luxury Estate. Plus it's not costing us over $10,000 like Hawaii easily would have.

I don't know why I'm telling you internet strangers this business but after the last 7 months my wife and I have had, being able to get married TWICE (had to get married in a Catholic Church too -_- ) and have an amazing honeymoon is sooooo far off from where we thought we'd be a few months ago. We originally had to cancel our 200 person wedding back in June and it was devastating. Thought we weren't going to be able to have a real wedding but we pulled it off and it was completely perfect except for not being able to have all the people there we originally had in mind.

I feel really lucky that this was all able to happen so I figured I'd share with you all as a small reminder than some great things are still able to happen during this pandemic. Hopefully great things are headed all your way too!
Get off the internet bud.

But seriously that’s awesome. Enjoy.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Very nice, enjoy. My wife and I got married during the height of the Zika scare (and we wanted to have and did have a kid in the near future from that), so rather than going Caribbean for our honeymoon we went to Tahoe instead, and enjoyed the hell out of it.

I'm always up for a surprise diversion out West after that.

Reactions: x Tame Impala
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad