Anything Goes 36

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
There is a Chicago pizza place in Denver that absolutely nailed the thin crust - Grabowski’s.

I don’t think they have a Chicago location.... have you guys ever heard of anything along that name? Maybe my taste buds memory is off, but it was as good if not better than most thin crust I remember having in Chicago.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There is a Chicago pizza place in Denver that absolutely nailed the thin crust - Grabowski’s.

I don’t think they have a Chicago location.... have you guys ever heard of anything along that name? Maybe my taste buds memory is off, but it was as good if not better than most thin crust I remember having in Chicago.

Nah. Did a little reading, and it's a Chicago native that is in Colorado and opened the place up. No location in Chicago.

Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Nah. Did a little reading, and it's a Chicago native that is in Colorado and opened the place up. No location in Chicago.

When I get Chicago style thin crust outside of the area I always go in with the lowest of expectations but that shit was so good.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Haha. That guy had to be a Bears fan. Nice Ditka reference.

The 1985 Chicago Bears: The Grabowskis

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It was pizza day a couple days ago. That annoying "which pizza is best" convo was happening all over the place

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Went over to the politics board that was created when HF shut down theirs for the first time in forever and it was deserted. What happened?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Went over to the politics board that was created when HF shut down theirs for the first time in forever and it was deserted. What happened?

It was starting to lose its luster to me anyway. If you didn't agree with Epsilon + like 2 other main posters then you're a right wing psycho and/or an idiot. Felt like a lot of the discussions were basically some right wing shit poster coming in, saying something stupid, and then everyone dumping all over them. It got boring after a while. Political discussions online are tough IMO. Seems like there's either very far right-leaning forums/posters and very far left-leaning forums/posters and the middle ground interacting with either of them isn't very fruitful.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
https://blogs.msn.com/povertynextdo...VU3ZcM2F351mFkYn9brhdJ8d60oNnRemywCxoZyLrC-mA

For all of those who were discussing jobs with me earlier....Imagine if you wanted to work from the bottom up, but had to deal with this crap.

You have to have a full time job, with a wonderful insurance plan in order to get off of government assistance.
For some people, access to healthcare is more important than a full time job. If I didn't have the insurance to get the medicine that helps me function, I couldn't hold a job anyway.

Theoretically, you have "access" through the ACA, but the damn deductibles are so high that a single person doesn't go through enough bills in a year to cover it, and the oop expenses are so damn high that you can't afford to pay for your necessary medication.

Imagine, just for a moment, that you needed a medicine to get up and do things, but it costs more than your entire income in a month. You have to buy it 3x oop to cover the deductible. How would you pay for it?

This is important info that I left out and the source of my frustration.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
How is this individuals situation and your situation similar? Genuinely curious.

This individuals situation seems like an extreme. Also, they are going to Georgetown.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
https://blogs.msn.com/povertynextdo...VU3ZcM2F351mFkYn9brhdJ8d60oNnRemywCxoZyLrC-mA

For all of those who were discussing jobs with me earlier....Imagine if you wanted to work from the bottom up, but had to deal with this crap.

You have to have a full time job, with a wonderful insurance plan in order to get off of government assistance.
For some people, access to healthcare is more important than a full time job. If I didn't have the insurance to get the medicine that helps me function, I couldn't hold a job anyway.

Theoretically, you have "access" through the ACA, but the damn deductibles are so high that a single person doesn't go through enough bills in a year to cover it, and the oop expenses are so damn high that you can't afford to pay for your necessary medication.

Imagine, just for a moment, that you needed a medicine to get up and do things, but it costs more than your entire income in a month. You have to buy it 3x oop to cover the deductible. How would you pay for it?

This is important info that I left out and the source of my frustration.

Thanks for sharing this article. It puts the situation into perspective. It’s easy to see how a company might avoid hiring a disabled person due to the insurance cost.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
How is this individuals situation and your situation similar? Genuinely curious.

This individuals situation seems like an extreme. Also, they are going to Georgetown.
It's not extreme actually, it's all too common in the disability community. It's discussed often. It's cost/benefit analysis. I need my meds to function, and they're expensive. If you don't have really good insurance offered to you at your job, you can't take it because access to healthcare>>>working. When you can't work without healthcare, you don't have the option of taking lesser jobs to work your way up an industry, gain work experience or the like. It's a complete poverty trap. It's absurd that my medicine costs $2k/month without insurance, but that's the reality of the situation. I've tried other things(actually everything in the book) and this is the only stuff that works.

The main reason why functional disabled people go on government assistance at all is access to affordable healthcare. We'd much rather work, but the system isn't set up to allow that to happen.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It's not extreme actually, it's all too common in the disability community. It's discussed often. It's cost/benefit analysis. I need my meds to function, and they're expensive. If you don't have really good insurance offered to you at your job, you can't take it because access to healthcare>>>working. When you can't work without healthcare, you don't have the option of taking lesser jobs to work your way up an industry, gain work experience or the like. It's a complete poverty trap. It's absurd that my medicine costs $2k/month without insurance, but that's the reality of the situation. I've tried other things(actually everything in the book) and this is the only stuff that works.

The main reason why functional disabled people go on government assistance at all is access to affordable healthcare. We'd much rather work, but the system isn't set up to allow that to happen.

Very interesting.

Does ACA cover your meds at a reasonable cost? My understanding is that the medications and combinations used to "treat" autism (this is 100% not the right word so don't be offended) can be very complicated and it is very much a test and see process.

Thanks for sharing this article. It puts the situation into perspective. It’s easy to see how a company might avoid hiring a disabled person due to the insurance cost.

They have zero way of knowing unless you personally disclose it. (Obviously not talking about visible disabilities, to be clear).

Here is some background to why.

The ADA places restrictions on employers when it comes to asking job applicants to answer medical questions, take a medical exam, or identify a disability.

An employer may not ask a job applicant, for example, if he or she has a disability (or about the nature of an obvious disability). An employer also may not ask a job applicant to answer medical questions or take a medical exam before making a job offer.

An employer may ask a job applicant whether they can perform the job and how they would perform the job. The law allows an employer to condition a job offer on the applicant answering certain medical questions or successfully passing a medical exam, but only if all new employees in the same job have to answer the questions or take the exam.

Once a person is hired and has started work, an employer generally can only ask medical questions or require a medical exam if the employer needs medical documentation to support an employee’s request for an accommodation or if the employer has reason to believe an employee would not be able to perform a job successfully or safely because of a medical condition.

The law also requires that the employers keep all medical records and information confidential and in separate medical files.

Pre-Employment Inquiries and Medical Questions & Examinations

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Very interesting.

Does ACA cover your meds at a reasonable cost? My understanding is that the medications and combinations used to "treat" autism (this is 100% not the right word so don't be offended) can be very complicated and it is very much a test and see process.

They have zero way of knowing unless you personally disclose it. (Obviously not talking about visible disabilities, to be clear).

Here is some background to why.

The ADA places restrictions on employers when it comes to asking job applicants to answer medical questions, take a medical exam, or identify a disability.

An employer may not ask a job applicant, for example, if he or she has a disability (or about the nature of an obvious disability). An employer also may not ask a job applicant to answer medical questions or take a medical exam before making a job offer.

An employer may ask a job applicant whether they can perform the job and how they would perform the job. The law allows an employer to condition a job offer on the applicant answering certain medical questions or successfully passing a medical exam, but only if all new employees in the same job have to answer the questions or take the exam.

Once a person is hired and has started work, an employer generally can only ask medical questions or require a medical exam if the employer needs medical documentation to support an employee’s request for an accommodation or if the employer has reason to believe an employee would not be able to perform a job successfully or safely because of a medical condition.

The law also requires that the employers keep all medical records and information confidential and in separate medical files.

Pre-Employment Inquiries and Medical Questions & Examinations

That’s far from “zero.” This is exactly what Boqvy was talking about before with the long questionnaires.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That’s far from “zero.” This is exactly what Boqvy was talking about before with the long questionnaires.

We are talking about disclosure. They can make assumptions but that is not knowing (HUGE difference).

How will an interviewer know you have a disability on an application or phone interview? There is zero way of knowing and making an assumption is not knowing (not even close).

Physical disabilities will show during an in person interview for the most part but that is not what we are talking about.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I have other mental health issues beyond autism. If it wasn't for those, I might be able to get away with it. The meds I take treat that condition that I don't wish to share on a public forum.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
We are talking about disclosure. They can make assumptions but that is not knowing (HUGE difference).

How will an interviewer know you have a disability on an application or phone interview? There is zero way of knowing and making an assumption is not knowing (not even close).

Physical disabilities will show during an in person interview for the most part but that is not what we are talking about.

The point at hand is that they can discriminate against any disability. If Boqvy fills out a psyche evaluation that fits their profile of an autistic person, they can use that information in their decision. It doesn’t matter whether it is assumption or not.

And this right here gives them an even clearer picture should they opt to incorporate it into their hiring practices.

I’m not even necessarily saying they shouldn’t have the right to make as informed a decision as possible. They are running a business, it is up to them to decide who they want.

I’m just acknowledging the hurdles disabled people face. In Boqvy’s specific case, hopefully he can make it through the process without them finding out about his autism. And I think that would improve his chances of getting hired.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The point at hand is that they can discriminate against any disability. If Boqvy fills out a psyche evaluation that fits their profile of an autistic person, they can use that information in their decision. It doesn’t matter whether it is assumption or not.

And this right here gives them an even clearer picture should they opt to incorporate it into their hiring practices.

I’m not even necessarily saying they shouldn’t have the right to make as informed a decision as possible. They are running a business, it is up to them to decide who they want.

I’m just acknowledging the hurdles disabled people face. In Boqvy’s specific case, hopefully he can make it through the process without them finding out about his autism. And I think that would improve his chances of getting hired.

Pschye evaluation for a job? What?

No one is against nothing but the best for KBS and everyone acknowledges the hurdle he has due to his autism.

tgh

Dec 19, 2019
The new Huey Lewis album isn't bad.

We get Miller High Life imported here, best beer going!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad