Anything Goes 36

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah, but you can't control if there's someone there that's just better than you at your job. You can only put your best foot forward. Sometimes, no matter how much time and effort you put in, someone you're working with is just better than you. It could be something little like a system for efficiency, or it could be something bigger like a natural knack for applying information.

There are very few people out there that are the best at what they do in the world. Most likely, there's always someone better. All you can do is be the best version of yourself possible.

There's a song lyric I like by Macklemore.

"See, I observed Escher.
I loved Basquiat.
I watched Keith Haring.
You see, I study art.
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint,
The greats were great because they paint a lot."

It's all about you man. Put in the work.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
There's a song lyric I like by Macklemore.

"See, I observed Escher.
I loved Basquiat.
I watched Keith Haring.
You see, I study art.
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint,
The greats were great because they paint a lot."

It's all about you man. Put in the work.
If that were true, why are we on this board and not on the ice making Patrick Kane and McDavid look like chumps?

Some people are just better than you. Athletes kind of prove that hard work and dedication only gets you so far. You have to have the talent first. Talent alone can get you further than hard work and dedication without talent. Only when you're on the same level, does society value the hard work and dedication. Until that point, talent>effort.

Sports are a microcosm of life in so many ways.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If that were true, why are we on this board and not on the ice making Patrick Kane and McDavid look like chumps?

Some people are just better than you. Athletes kind of prove that hard work and dedication only gets you so far. You have to have the talent first. Talent alone can get you further than hard work and dedication without talent. Only when you're on the same level, does society value the hard work and dedication. Until that point, talent>effort.

Left work. I'll respond to this later.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

This just one giant excuse to me.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

A lot of this is false man. You think Kane has some God-given ability that no one else could have? Kane puts more time in on the ice, and did as a kid, than anyone else. He is the epitome of working hard and putting in the effort to be really, really good at something. Unless there's some biological advantage, like Keith's lung capacity, he's no different than anyone else, other than the work he puts in.

I can't tell you how many extremely skilled and talented players never sniff the NHL because they refuse to work hard and put in the time and effort. I can also tell you the vast majority of NHLers are there because of hard work, and not some pure talent that they were somehow miraculously born with.

I'll tell you a story. Growing up playing in an organization that had ties to the Chelios family, it was always said that Chris's brother Steve was far more talented and skilled, but he was unwilling to put in the really hard work, and was uncoachable. My brother played for him. He was insanely talented and skilled. I would watch him fire snapshots from inside the zone and plink them off the crossbar on the other side of the ice, repeatedly. He would stickhandle around an entire team of bantam-aged travel players for 15 mins without ever losing the puck... not to a player, or a mishandle.

Talent and skill are directly correlated to the amount of work and effort you are willing to put into it. Kane can stickhandle like a God because he spent thousands and thousands of hours stickhandling. Sure, there are some people that things seem to come naturally to, but the majority get where they are because of hard work and practice. Thousands of hours of practice.

I mean, do you honestly believe that, of all things, kids like Kane came out of the womb destined to be hockey players? No, they practiced a ton, put in the effort and hard work, and got better than everyone else around them by doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: d rake

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
A lot of this is false man. You think Kane has some God-given ability that no one else could have? Kane puts more time in on the ice, and did as a kid, than anyone else. He is the epitome of working hard and putting in the effort to be really, really good at something. Unless there's some biological advantage, like Keith's lung capacity, he's no different than anyone else, other than the work he puts in.

I can't tell you how many extremely skilled and talented players never sniff the NHL because they refuse to work hard and put in the time and effort. I can also tell you the vast majority of NHLers are there because of hard work, and not some pure talent that they were somehow miraculously born with.

I'll tell you a story. Growing up playing in an organization that had ties to the Chelios family, it was always said that Chris's brother Steve was far more talented and skilled, but he was unwilling to put in the really hard work, and was uncoachable. My brother played for him. He was insanely talented and skilled. I would watch him fire snapshots from inside the zone and plink them off the crossbar on the other side of the ice, repeatedly. He would stickhandle around an entire team of bantam-aged travel players for 15 mins without ever losing the puck... not to a player, or a mishandle.

Talent and skill are directly correlated to the amount of work and effort you are willing to put into it. Kane can stickhandle like a God because he spent thousands and thousands of hours stickhandling. Sure, there are some people that things seem to come naturally to, but the majority get where they are because of hard work and practice. Thousands of hours of practice.
I put a ton of effort into my chess game as a kid.I used to spend my summers immersed in information in middle school. Eventually, I hit a wall. Went to camps, played in tournaments(and was first board) but eventually there were just people better than me.

I love chess. I could spend all day every day studying it. There's enough there for multiple lifetimes. I watch multiple videos online every day. Have I got better since I picked it back up? Yeah. Probably better than when I was a kid. But that doesn't mean if I put in all of the time, I'm suddenly going to compete with Magnus Carlsen.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I put a ton of effort into my chess game as a kid.I used to spend my summers immersed in information in middle school. Eventually, I hit a wall.

I love chess. I could spend all day every day studying it. There's enough there for multiple lifetimes. I watch multiple videos online every day. Have I got better since I picked it back up? Yeah. Probably better than when I was a kid. But that doesn't mean if I put in all of the time, I'm suddenly going to compete with Magnus Carlsen.

Of course there are exceptions. Some people will have biological traits that serve as an advantage. But that's not the majority. Not even close.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Of course there are exceptions. Some people will have biological traits that serve as an advantage. But that's not the majority. Not even close.
It doesn't even have to be biological traits. More often than not, it's environmental.
There are multiple experiences and outside things that affect you so that help make you who you are. Some of them are under your control, some aren't.

I always had a natural talent for chess, but unfortunately, I had a lot of other crap going on as a kid that prevented me from ever getting better. Was it time related? A little bit.
If your parents think chess is a stupid game, you're not going to become a grandmaster.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Using the .01% to try and make your point....
Haha.

The point that I'm making is that there are multiple factors that go into the success or failure of anyone in any endeavor, and most of them are outside of your control.

Most successful entrepreneurs had a monetary safety net that allowed them to take risks that you and I would be unable to take.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm pretty much done arguing this.

I'm going to start linking you guys to some articles that will challenge your worldview on this subject.

In reality, it's all about whether or not you get invited to the club.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It doesn't even have to be biological traits. More often than not, it's environmental.
If your parents think chess is a stupid game, you're not going to become a grandmaster.

Hey man, I don't want to overstep my bounds here but if you want to take some advice from an internet stranger it may be helpful...

Since you have an apparent interest in the IT field...why don't you check out learning how to code? A lot of the jobs are individually contracted so you can take on as much workload as you can handle. Also, there are a lot of opportunities to do it remotely with little social interaction. Even if it's something as simple as a company saying "Hey KBS, I need a website and I need it to do x, y, and z. I'll pay you x amount/hr to get it done".

www.theodinproject.com is a great place to start. It's totally free and it makes you job-ready when you're finished. You'll learn front end, back end, and full stack development in a lot of different programming languages. You're not going to be a millionaire but there's serious financial potential there and it might be a perfect avenue for you to check out. Try it for free while you're applying for other jobs and doing Uber Eats. If you treat it like getting a certificate or something in a college program, it'll probably take you 8-10 months to finish and be sufficient enough to accept work and make money.

In regards to your autism, I don't know much about it but maybe some helpful advice would be for you to stop limiting yourself in your head before you even get your feet off the ground. Get some confidence in yourself because, and this I can relate to, when you feel like you've spent a huge chunk of your life not doing anything it's hard to believe in yourself that you can do much of anything, let alone do it well. You have to try things, work hard at them, fail, get better, and build confidence in yourself and your abilities.

Again, I'm not familiar with the functional negatives of autism and/or where on the spectrum you fall. But I totally blew off school from the time I was 18-23. I was a little too smart for me own good in high school and never had to work hard to do well. Since that doesn't work in college, especially if you're chasing an engineering degree or trying to get into medical school, it led to a lot of dropped classes, failed classes, repeat classes, etc... It was a huge disaster. So I moved to chicago and started waiting tables and bartending. I wrote off school because I was making too much money slinging drinks for people and everything was fine until I met a girl I wanted to marry. When reality set in that I could not provide for this woman as a bartender I realized I had to go back to school and get my degree.

I've been in this process for about 1.5 years now and It was very scary in the beginning. I've spent a huge chunk of my life either failing or not even trying to get better so I had no confidence in myself or my ability to do well at ANYTHING. Slowly but surely I made sure that I worked hard every day and that I never had an unsuccessful week in school. In less than no time I went from feeling like a useless piece of shit to not only confident that I could do it, but actually seriously excited about doing it.

Sometimes all you have to do is try. Don't worry about society or macro issues and how they impact you or others. You're not in a position to control any of that. All you can control is how hard you work and the opportunities you take advantage of. If you're struggling so much to find a job doing what you're doing now, I think you should stop blaming others and how unfair life is, and perhaps look into new avenues for success.

Most people can do pretty much anything with enough hard work and determination. BK and ChiHawks 10 aren't being hyperbolic here. I'm like you, I haven't figured success out yet for myself either, but I feel great about the track that i'm on. Take some chances. Learn something new. Always work as hard as you can.

quote-nothing-in-this-world-can-take-the-place-of-persistence-talent-will-not-nothing-is-more-calvin-coolidge-6-34-55.jpg

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Haha.

The point that I'm making is that there are multiple factors that go into the success or failure of anyone in any endeavor, and most of them are outside of your control.

Most successful entrepreneurs had a monetary safety net that allowed them to take risks that you and I would be unable to take.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm pretty much done arguing this.

I'm going to start linking you guys to some articles that will challenge your worldview on this subject.

In reality, it's all about whether or not you get invited to the club.

Bolded showcases your issue and your excuse.

Sorry but you are the reason you are not successful 99.9% and based on what you have said I firmly believe you fall into the 99.9%.

I am not saying this to be a jerk or shit on you but you need to take accountability and just get it done.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I already know a bit of code.
Knew C++ and Matlab, but haven't done it regularly since college.
IT hardware is more for me than coding.
Don't like sitting only at the computer all day.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Bolded showcases your issue and your excuse.

Sorry but you are the reason you are not successful 99.9% and based on what you have said I firmly believe you fall into the 99.9%.

I am not saying this to be a jerk or **** on you but you need to take accountability and just get it done.
There's actually plenty of evidence that says that it isn't true.

For me, it's beyond my control. I didn't ask to be born with autism and it's really hard to convince someone, in a mainstream environment, to give me a shot.

I've been willing to :
work hard
take a pay cut
or
start at a lower level job

None have worked.
At what point is it no longer me?

There is an implicit bias against autistic people in hiring. This is a proven fact. It's beyond frustrating.
Employers value soft skills so highly, and I'm bad at them.

Am I bitter, sure. Because I'm sure that if they gave me a shot, I could do a job.

There is more and more evidence that I'm right and you're wrong, but whatever.

One thing that I've learned is that it's not worth arguing with you people. Continue believing that you're the sole reason you're successful....it's your prerogative.

You have the entitlement finger pointed in the wrong direction. Look in the mirror. Quit projecting your entitlement problem on to me.

In my opinion, people who think that they're the sole reason for their own success are the at the core of the entitlement problem. That makes you think you're special. You're not.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

For me, it's beyond my control. I didn't ask to be born with autism and it's really hard to convince someone, in a mainstream environment, to give me a shot.

I've been willing to :
work hard
take a pay cut
or

None have worked.

There is an implicit bias against autistic people in hiring. This is a proven fact. It's beyond frustrating.

Am I bitter, sure. Because I'm sure that if they gave me a shot, I could do a job.

One thing that I've learned is that it's not worth arguing with you people. Continue believing that you're the sole reason you're successful....it's your prerogative.

You have the entitlement finger pointed in the wrong direction. Look in the mirror.

You can only be so accountable. At some point, it becomes beyond your control.

I get this all I really do but some of the stuff you have said implies other issues. You have a chemical engineering degree but are looking for a coding job? You obviously have a skill set, why not find a job that fits that skill set?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I've been willing to :
work hard
take a pay cut
or

None have worked.

You have the entitlement finger pointed in the wrong direction. Look in the mirror. Quit projecting your entitlement problem on to me.

In my opinion, people who think that they're the sole reason for their own success are the at the core of the entitlement problem. That makes you think you're special. You're not.

If this is what you want your worldview to be, you're going to have an extremely difficult time improving your current state in life. I'll stop arguing with you here. I hope you can change. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I get this all I really do but some of the stuff you have said implies other issues. You have a chemical engineering degree but are looking for a coding job? You obviously have a skill set, why not find a job that fits that skill set?

KBS has a Chem E!!!!???

@Kaners Bald Spot Dude, you're freaking set! The Engineering field is FILLED with people that aren't sociable. You've already proven to yourself that you can learn very difficult material and execute tasks related to it. Get out there and get yourself an Engineering internship or an entry level job

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Because about 3 years ago, I was told that it had been too long since I graduated for them to hire me. I could go back for a masters, but I can't afford it. There's no way in hell I'm spending that kind of dough just to get screwed again.
I can't get into internships and most of the jobs are in oil and gas. After the collapse of gasoline prices in 2013 when they went down $1.50, most of the jobs disappeared. Just when the rest of the economy was recovering, the chemical industry went through its own recession.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
KBS has a Chem E!!!!???

@Kaners Bald Spot Dude, you're freaking set! The Engineering field is FILLED with people that aren't sociable. You've already proven to yourself that you can learn very difficult material and execute tasks related to it. Get out there and get yourself an Engineering internship or an entry level job
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
Why in the hell do you think I chose that?
It's not like that...at all. I found that out the hard way.
They really value soft skills now. The days of antisocial engineers are over bro.

I went to the prez of AIChE Chicago and asked him personally for help.
He and another guy who both had kids on the spectrum tried to help me. Eventually, after talking with people who hire, they said that my soft skills were just too unacceptable for the field. This guy has since passed away, so I couldn't reach out again even if I wanted to.

Becoming more common is the "sales engineer" which requires you to have the soft skills of a salesman and the hard skills of an engineer.

I thought I could get away with being socially awkward in that field. Boy was I in for a rude awakening.

I switched to IT because autistic people are having more success there. After 5 years of trying, I decided I was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad